PDA

View Full Version : Table saw question

Brandon Speaks
02-07-2021, 2:25 PM
So I dont use a table saw a ton, I have a dewalt 745 which until now has done what I needed it to. It still would except for that it would be really handy to be able to cut dados which you cant do on that one. I can get a 7491RS throatplate and dewalt dado stack for like $800 new but that feels like a big investment to still have a job site saw not all that much better than I have now.

I would look at a bigger saw but my shop really could not fit a cabinet saw, even one on casters would be a real tight fit. I work in 1/2 of a two car garage and share my half with a riding mower. I do have a stationary lathe, band saw, and drill press but try to keep other tools moveable and cabinet saws are just so big. I did see a jet 10" contractor saw on craigs list for $700 but dont know how I would fit it.

Any other ideas? Wish i could do even a small dado stack on what I have.

Bob Johnson2
02-07-2021, 5:49 PM
If you can't fit a contractors saw on a mobile base then a jobsite saw may be your only other choice. When looking at the $800 price you are factoring in the $200 dado set which you'll have to buy no matter what you get. The throat plate you can make out of scrap 1/2".

A full dado set works okay on the Dewalt, just need to take your time with it. Kind of a pain getting the nut on, not much room for your fingers, which isn't isolated to the dado set.

Brian Runau
02-07-2021, 6:20 PM
So I dont use a table saw a ton, I have a dewalt 745 which until now has done what I needed it to. It still would except for that it would be really handy to be able to cut dados which you cant do on that one. I can get a 7491RS throatplate and dewalt dado stack for like $800 new but that feels like a big investment to still have a job site saw not all that much better than I have now.

I would look at a bigger saw but my shop really could not fit a cabinet saw, even one on casters would be a real tight fit. I work in 1/2 of a two car garage and share my half with a riding mower. I do have a stationary lathe, band saw, and drill press but try to keep other tools moveable and cabinet saws are just so big. I did see a jet 10" contractor saw on craigs list for $700 but dont know how I would fit it.

Any other ideas? Wish i could do even a small dado stack on what I have.

Do the daidos with a router set up. Smaller machine that could be mobile or even hand held with a guide on sawhorses. Brian

Tom Bender
02-12-2021, 5:25 PM
There are other ways to make dados, $800 is a lot of money for a minor convenience, unless you do a lot of dados

Paul Haus
02-12-2021, 5:29 PM
As Tom said, there are other ways. If the saw you have does everything you need then maybe consider something like a router and straight edge.

Peter Kelly
02-12-2021, 6:05 PM
Seems like $800 could get you a Festool plunge router, guide adapter and 55" rail to make dadoes. Would take up a pretty minimal amount of space too.

Lee Schierer
02-12-2021, 6:46 PM
For that amount of money buy a Rigid R4520 Table Saw (https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13-Amp-10-in-Professional-Cast-Iron-Table-Saw-R4520/309412843#product-overview), push stick, blade guard assembly, push pedal caster set, assembly hardware, 10 in. carbide tipped blade, die cast miter gauge, rip fence, and operator's manual.

This is a very good saw. It required very little adjustment after assembly. My son bought one and it has been great so far. It is a 1-1/2 Hp saw (13 amp) so it has good power.

rick markasky
02-16-2021, 12:50 PM
Id go with the router

Si Wood
02-25-2021, 4:08 PM
Going from a General 350 cabinet saw down to the Dewalt 7491RS because of a similar real estate issue has been a real challenge for a guy with tonnes of shop experience. I'm not sure where your going with your work but I can say for sure the Dewalt saw, although a very decent saw is and always will be a site saw and expecting more out of it will require a serious amount of time and money. I set mine up in a movable work bench for multi use. If you do go with the 7491RS, I can point you past a few quirks of this saw as well as a couple worthwhile upgrades, but if dadoing is your mission, I wouldn't spend the money just for that feature. A good 3-1/2 HP Porter Cable mounted stationary or a plung router for a bit more versatility will get you there for a lot less money and space in the shop.