PDA

View Full Version : 6" ridgidjointer and a ridgid planer vrs a 8" grizzly jointer

Josh Goldsmith
01-05-2006, 10:35 PM
I know i just posted about the bandsaw but i am right about to buy some new tools :D . I am one of those people that research's the heck out of everything first. It is actually annoying. Here is my situation. I found a used 6" ridgid jointer that is a couple years old and then buy a used bench top planer like a 13". Or i found a slightly used 8" jointer that will probably sell for 450-500 maybe a few pennies cheaper. I have read that many of people are happy with there 6" jointer but always say they wish they had a 8". I just don't want to be one of those who regrets buying a 6". Now i don't have a jointer so any jointer would be better than what i have now. Maybe i will be happy with a 6". I guess i am kind of hoping you will help me make my difficult ;) decisions. Thanks

Josh

Gregg Mason
01-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Go for the 8". I have a 6, and I am one of those looking for an upgrade.

Allen Bookout
01-06-2006, 1:56 AM
I have a 6" Ridgid jointer and it is a pretty good little jointer although it took a little shimming to get it right. But that is what it is, a little jointer. I just ordered the Grizzly GO490 which is an 8" jointer that looks like that it is a copy of the Delta DJ20 so am going to sell my Ridgid. I know that an 8" is a little jointer to some on this forum but it will be a lot better unit for me for what I want to do than the 6". I would have been money ahead if I had bought the eight inch to start with.

I would bet you Josh, that if you get the 6 inch it will not be long before you say "man---I sure wish that I had gone for the 8 inch". I would also bet that eighty per cent of the people here that first purchased a six inch have either upgraded to an eight or wish that they had bought an eight in the first place.

It will be interesting to see if I am right.

Good luck in making the correct decision. One last word--------GET THE EIGHT INCH!!!!!! Allen

Dave Harker
01-06-2006, 2:49 AM
Get the 8". The vast majority of rough wood I've bought (admittedly not much) is between 6" and 8" in width. So, almost none of it could be face-jointed using a 6" jointer (without ripping in half), and almost all of it can be face-jointed using a 8" jointer.

I got the 8" due to others here telling me the same thing I'm telling you.
My choice was the Griz G1018. It's 65" long, vs. others that are longer, and I have "space issues" and 65" is long enough for me. Plus, the G1018 is the cheapest of their 8" jointers.

Dave

Walt Pater
01-06-2006, 6:22 AM
Josh, whichever one you buy will ultimately prove to be about 2" shy of the stock you get a bargain on. DAMHIKT

scott spencer
01-06-2006, 7:04 AM
You'll rarely read about someone with too big a jointer. It's more efficient to move forward slowly than to go quickly, then back up and redo the original purchases.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-06-2006, 9:11 AM
Now I guess I am one of those people that says get some tools and get to work first, then buy the best. Yes it may cost more in the long run, but at least you got to build something :) If I waited to buy tools that I wouldn't replace, I still wouldn't be woodworking. Many on this forum and others suggest that you buy something you won't upgrade, that is fine, but starting out it is a huge cost. I count the cost of the tools that I will upgrade as part of my hobby cost, It is worth it to be to be actually working wood, than to only have one tool I won't replace :)

So my suggestion is this, if buying the 8" jointer will mean that you can't get a planer for some time, buy the 6" jointer and the planer so you can start enjoying this hobby.

Jim Fancher
01-06-2006, 10:17 AM
So my suggestion is this, if buying the 8" jointer will mean that you can't get a planer for some time, buy the 6" jointer and the planer so you can start enjoying this hobby.

I agree. Get both ... or atleast just a planer. You can get by without a jointer for a while.

Josh Goldsmith
01-06-2006, 10:39 AM
As i started to read the responses i was excited because everyone was agreeing on what i should do. Buy the 8" jointer. Farther down i read it switches and you recommend buying the 6" and the planer. I am still back to square one. I really don't know what to do. I have built a few large projects without a jointer and without a planer and it came out beautiful. I also had a small portable table saw that the fence moved when you pushed on it. So now i bought a nice table saw that will make a big difference. I plan on buying a bandsaw because i want to build dinning chairs pretty quick. Please let the opinions keep comming cause i am having a hard time choosing. Thanks

Josh

John Hemenway
01-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Other things to consider:
What kind of power do you have access to in the shop? Almost all 8" jointers require 220v. This was a deciding factor for me. I am going to update the shop to 220, just not right now.

Most 8" jointers are really big! Well, duh :). Do you have room for a tool that takes up 75-80"?

If you are OK with both of the above and the used 8" ($500!) is in good condition, I'd vote for the 8". It's not really that much more than a new 6".

Jeff Eiber
01-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Josh
<O:p</O:p
I went through a similar dilemma as you. In the summer of 2004 I drove to Grizzly in PA to buy tools to get started building cabinets. After deciding on the TS, DC, DP and planer I struggled with which jointer to buy: 6” or 8” (really whether to spend $325 or $700)? I finally chose the 6” 1182 and headed home. The 1182 jointer needed a replacement pulley and a better belt but once those tweaks were made the jointer worked very well. At the lumber yard I passed up a few boards wider than 6” but not too many. I still find many beautiful boards under 6” wide.
Then Grizzly had a closeout sale on the 1018 8” jointer. I still had a nagging desire for the bigger jointer so I decided to upgrade. I sold the jointer with an extra set of knives, $20, and homemade mobile base, $25, for $300 to the first caller. I headed back to Grizzly, paid my $595, and headed home again. The G1018 needed a new fence and better v-belts but it cuts well too.
Do I wish I had purchased the 8” jointer to start with. No.

The 6” jointer got me started and the cost to upgrade later was minimal, other than the difference in cost between the two jointers. I also learned that the Grizzly tool was easy to resell. If Grizzly comes out with a TS with a true riving knife I’ll be replacing my 1023ZX too.<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

JayStPeter
01-06-2006, 8:41 PM
I agree with the others. Get the planer, then move up later. A used 6" is the perfect thing to buy because you'll probably get nearly 100% of your money back out of it when you upgrade.

Jay

Allen Bookout
01-06-2006, 8:52 PM
I agree with the others. Get the planer, then move up later. A used 6" is the perfect thing to buy because you'll probably get nearly 100% of your money back out of it when you upgrade.

Jay

That's good to hear. Do you want to buy mine? Allen

Josh Goldsmith
01-10-2006, 1:34 PM
Regarding 220v i have an outlet that is not being used. Also my electric panel is very easy to run an dedicated outlet for the jointer. I am still undecided. I am bidding on the 8" jointer if i get it for under $475 i will buy that but if it goes over then i will take the 6". I think that is my plan;) .

Charlie Plesums
01-10-2006, 2:49 PM
I didn't read all the details in this post, but I did sell my 6 inch jointer...To receive the top grade, hardwood must be at least 6 inches wide when finished, which means that it must be at least 6 1/2 inches wide when rough. Which means you can't finish it with a 6 inch jointer. I was thinking of an 8 inch but took the giant step to a 16 inch jointer, and love it.

Many people use the 6 inch jointer for edge jointing. If you can't get a glue edge with your saw, get a better blade and align the saw - I rarely edge joint on the jointer.

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2006, 4:35 PM
I agree with Jeff. Get the 6" jointer and get your planer. I was in the same boat and I didn't want to wait till I could afford all the big equipment or I might as well not do woodworking. I bought the 6" jointer, 12 1/2" planer and a bench top bandsaw because I wanted to start building some furniture as soon as I could. After a couple of years I found I used the bandsaw more than anything so I upgraded it to a big Grizzly. I still have the same jointer and planer because I haven't found the need for bigger units. So if money is no object by all means jump on the 8" jointer but if on a budget then I would do the above. Just my 2 cents.

Quesne Ouaques
01-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi Josh:

Recently, I got a 6" jointer (Ridgid). I only made my first cut last night, but I am so far very happy with it. Several years ago, however, I was faced with a similar decision: Do I get a jointer or a planer, and then I have to save money for the tool I don't get.

I usually have a pretty tight budget for power tools, and I research the heck out of all my options.

I went for a 13" Delta box and have been happy with it for 3+ years. I quickly learned how to face joint rough lumber on a sled, and have been doing it ever since. I edge joint on my router table with a home-made jig. Sure, the setup takes a little while, but once you have it down it's really easy and effective.

With the Ridgid, of course, the main thing I'll save is time. Even though I've jointed lumber over 6" in the past, I did not really even consider an 8" jointer. The simple reason was that the compromise in space and expense simply wasn't worth it. The fact of the matter is: I have a 13 inch jointer when I need one!

If you have the space, I'll bet the 8" jointer will be smoother than most 6" units and a real joy to have. If not, you will be giving up very little if you buy the 6".

Paul Douglass
01-11-2006, 11:50 AM
One thing I found, I bought a planer before I purchased a jointer. Since I boutht a jointer I haven't turned the planner on. I have the 6" Ridgid jointer and it does all I need at least for now. I will porbabley never have to upgrade. If I could only have one of the two I would have the jointer.

On the planer, I would wonder why you prefer the Ridgid over say the 13" two speed Delta. Just curious. My son bought the Ridgid (this was several years ago) and had lots of trouble with it. He returned three machines before he gave up. Kept getting debits in everything he planed, they kept telling him it was a know problem and he had to just keep exchanging machines until he got one that didn't do it. Can you believe that? I believe something just wasn't ajusted correctly, but I'm not the Home Depot expert. It should be a good machine and I am sure it is.

Adam Cormier
01-11-2011, 11:14 PM
This was a great thread. Very informative. I am thinking about getting the 6" Ridgid jointer. Financially and size wise, the 6" is the way to go for me.

Victor Robinson
01-11-2011, 11:20 PM
I'm part of the camp that says buy the jointer and planer now. They really go together as a unit...or rather, the planer is more useful than the jointer. If getting the 8" jointer now means you won't get a planer for a while (I'm talking 6 months to a year), then go with the 6" jointer and the planer. I have the 6" Ridgid. It has been fine for my uses. Do I wish I had a 8" jointer? Sure, and one day I will. But for now, the 6" jointer has done 90% of what I would have done with an 8". And for those 6-8" (and up!) wide boards that need face-jointing, a well-built planer sled can do the trick.

EDIT: Just realized I responded to a five year old post. LOL.

Neil Brooks
01-11-2011, 11:23 PM
I have the 6" Ridgid. It has been fine for my uses. Do I wish I had a 8" jointer? Sure, and one day I will. But for now, the 6" jointer has done 90% of what I would have done with an 8". And for those 6-8" (and up!) wide boards that need face-jointing, a well-built planer sled can do the trick.

Amen.

Within its limits (primarily size), and for the money, the Ridgid -- IMHO -- is a HECK of a jointer.

Would I love an 8", with a helical head ? Well ... yeah ... sure :)

But it hasn't really cost me anything, in day to day operation, not having the extra 2" jointer width. If you think about ripping panels, and doing glue-ups ... the difference is pretty trivial.

Bo McCorkle
01-12-2011, 1:34 AM
my local home depot had the 6" jointer on sale for $300 closeout so it pretty much made the choice for me. Im sure id love to have the largest jointer and planer they make but alas i have but a basement shop and the 6" was a bear to get down there!!! Anywhoo my current set-up is the 6" jointer and the 13" ridgid planer and for most of my stock it seems to be quite adequate the only time its really a pain is when i come across that beautiful 7" board..... btw the 6" jointer is small enough that i have mine on a mobile base so its not always in the way if that makes any difference to ya.