PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1236 Lathe Question

James Baldwin
02-07-2021, 10:41 AM
Hi, I have a Jet 1236 Lathe. I was checking the alignment the other day (headstock dead center to tailstock dead center) and it was off by about 1/32"to 1/16". Since this a swivel head lathe is there any way to correct it? I haven't been doing a lot of spindle turning so far but probably will be in the future.

Another question I'm looking into a Jet 1642 complete with chuck, tools and the bed extension for about $1800. the price is probable negotiable. I probably should have made a 700 mile trip for a Laguna 1842, Jet dust collector and Jet air filtration system for $1700 but I didn't. Oh well. Jim

John K Jordan
02-07-2021, 10:33 PM
Hi, I have a Jet 1236 Lathe. I was checking the alignment the other day (headstock dead center to tailstock dead center) and it was off by about 1/32"to 1/16". Since this a swivel head lathe is there any way to correct it? I haven't been doing a lot of spindle turning so far but probably will be in the future.

Another question I'm looking into a Jet 1642 complete with chuck, tools and the bed extension for about $1800. the price is probable negotiable. I probably should have made a 700 mile trip for a Laguna 1842, Jet dust collector and Jet air filtration system for $1700 but I didn't. Oh well. Jim

Nova makes an alignment tool for their swing head lathes: https://www.amazon.com/2MTNA-Acruline-Alignment-Lathe-Accessory/dp/B0064JJ3BS

Not familiar with this lathe - if it has a detent to lock the head and it is still misaligned with the tailstock you might try a method used to align other non-swivel head lathes. Adjust the height of one leg slightly. I usually adjust one of the front legs since they are easier to reach. If the the tailstock point is a off a little toward the front, crank up the front right leg a tiny bit and see if that fixes it.

Mark StLeger mentioned the lathe at our club was off a little and was about to cause him problems in his next demo. I cranked on one leg adjuster and fixed the alignment in about 15 seconds.

I don't know the value of used 1642s these days. A few years ago I paid about $1600 for a 110v 1642 for a spare lathe but it didn't have a bed extension. Bed extensions are usually expensive. Price might depend somewhat on how beat up it is.

JKJ

James Baldwin
02-08-2021, 8:54 AM
It supposedly has only been used one time. Won’t be considering it until we’ve had our COVID shots and go down to see our kids in California. If it’s still available at that time then I’ll check it out. Jim

John K Jordan
02-08-2021, 1:59 PM
It supposedly has only been used one time. Won’t be considering it until we’ve had our COVID shots and go down to see our kids in California. If it’s still available at that time then I’ll check it out. Jim

I don't know if you can even buy a bed extension for that lathe now but at one time it was well over $200. A used chuck might be worth $50-$100 or more, depending. Those and the undescribed "tools" you mention might make the lathe worth the money. Before you go, assuming it's still available, you might check on prices. IMO the 1642 is an excellent lathe in it's class. And if the lathe is still available then they seller may be motivated to reduce the price.

I'd absolutely buy the bed extension since I sometimes like to turn long things. This is a new hickory handle for my favorite shuffle hoe. Even with the bed extension on my PM3520b it was a bit shorter than I wanted. An extension on the longer Jet 1642 would have been perfect. Also, the bed extension gives me extra space on the bed for the sliding tool holders I make for each lathe.

JKJ

Kyle Iwamoto
02-08-2021, 5:03 PM
I'd jump on the 1642. You didn't mention if it was 1.5 or 2 hp. (120/240V). Either way it a big upgrade from the 1236. I think 1800 with a few gadgets is a good deal. I do have one. I've turned on the 1236, different animals.

James Baldwin
02-09-2021, 9:30 PM
We’re getting closer to our shots so we’ll be watching Donner Summit road conditions. Got stuck there once for three hours one time. We even had a four wheel drive pickup but the road was closed so they could clear the wrecks. This was a end of March snow storm made us a little gun shy. Now it’s go over the mountain if headed West and go over the mountain if headed East. The lathe is located abut two hours from where our kids live and probably 18 hours from where we live (Idaho). I’ll be keeping an eye on it. Jim

David Walser
02-09-2021, 10:37 PM
Jim -- I've driven that road several times. (I lived in Napa, California, and one set of grandparents were in Utah and the other in Montana.) June of one year, we were up in Yosemite for a 50 mile hike. We had to leave a day early because it had started to snow and the forecast was for a blizzard the following day. So, I understand your being a bit concerned with a February drive over that pass!

Since your kids are close to the lathe, couldn't one of them take a look at it for you and, if necessary, pick it up and store it at their place? I know that's a lot to ask, but I would been willing to do it for my father (and my mother, too). Provided I had someplace to put it and had (or could borrow) a truck to make the pick up.

Just a thought.