PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Saw B-Day Present?

Julie Moriarty
02-07-2021, 7:18 AM
For the past couple of months I've been working on a neighbor's kitchen remodel (he thought he turned the stove off but rather turned it on high and a fire followed) To do the work, another neighbor offered his PM 66 and what a difference working on that has been compared to my old Delta contractor's saw.

Apparently, I have been doing a lot of raving about working with a cabinet saw because the other day my SO said, "Someone's birthday is coming up. Seems like I know what to get her."

I'm torn, for one because "DO I REALLY NEED IT?" and another "Do I have enough room to fit one?" It would have to be a smaller table. No way a 52" would fit. The other thing is I'd want to retrofit the sliding table presently on the contractor's saw onto the new saw.

IF this happens (big IF) the likeliest candidate is the Delta Unisaw, 5HP with a 36" table.

Any thoughts?

Robert Engel
02-07-2021, 8:10 AM
Good saw, big motor!

Clifford McGuire
02-07-2021, 8:25 AM
What a great birthday present!

I have the 5HP 52" PM66. It's a great saw. Not sure what I'd do w/o it. I've had it for almost 20 years and I could get by with the smaller table. And I build a lot of furniture.

Curt Harms
02-07-2021, 8:34 AM
I have 27" to the right of the blade (including a router table) and don't miss having more. If I need to cut bigger I cut slightly oversized using a P-C 314 & saw guide. Me and 4 X 8 sheets don't get along for a few reasons. I chose 27" because that fits in the space allotted. The splitter for a Delta Unisaw fits my Griz 1023 (late '90s version) without modification and I suspect other accessories made for the Unisaw would fit as well. If I were going to drop the coin for a new Unisaw I'd probably get a SawStop instead. I'd suspect the sliding table could be mounted with some cleverness, at least take a look.

Jim Becker
02-07-2021, 9:02 AM
No sweat on the shorter fence/right side table setup at all. While I'm sure there are some folks who use the wider setups for actual cutting, I strongly suspect that for many people, a good chunk of that real estate becomes, um...."storage". And yes, you will absolutely benefit from a sturdy table saw that has a lot of mass. Less vibration. More power. Easier "dialing in" that stays that way. Etc.

Congrats in advance for your prospective birthday present!

Harvey Miller
02-07-2021, 11:52 AM
I found the cabinet saw had a smaller footprint than the comparable contractor's saw. No motor hanging off the back. Before I bought I made a wooden strip 'outline' of the one I was thinking of to figure out if I could work around it. I eventually went with a 36" rip.

Ron Selzer
02-07-2021, 11:52 AM
mobile base will make a big saw fit in a small space. Have a 5hp SawStop ICS 36" with mobile base. Constantly jacking the saw up and turning or moving it to work around it or use it.
Bought the mobile base just because now realize it is a very important feature. Without it would cut the saw down to 24".
5hp would be the minimum, a true sliding saw would be nice also. I had a Delta contractors saw for 29yrs before upgrading
Ron

glenn bradley
02-07-2021, 12:01 PM
I wish I had a picture of a friend who stopped by to cut some material on my cab saw. He runs a tricked out contractor which can be very workable, I used one for years. The look on his face at the smooth, quiet, quick operation of the saw was priceless. As long as you've been doing this I think you deserve to treat yourself. Happy Birthday (coming up).

Richard Coers
02-07-2021, 12:07 PM
Treat yourself to a lifetime of keeping your fingers too, get a Sawstop.

Bill McNiel
02-07-2021, 2:44 PM
Julie,
The step up from Contractor's to Cabinet will amaze you. I upgraded to a Delta 3HP (not sure the 3HP is still manufactured) over 20 years ago and have vever had a single issue. BTW- IMHO 3HP is plenty but 5HP is beyond. I'm not really sure at all that the Cabinet footprint is appreciably bigger than the Contractor.

Regards - Bill

Bruce Page
02-07-2021, 3:52 PM
I upgraded from a Sears contractor to my 3hp Unisaw 20 years ago. I have never wanted for more hp. I still smile every time I turn it on. I have the 52” but rarely use it all.

Happy Birthday!

Michael W. Clark
02-07-2021, 9:44 PM
I have the 52” rip, love it when needed. Grizzly 1023 5 HP cabinet saw. No complaints. Happy Birthday!

Derek Arita
02-08-2021, 10:44 AM
Alright...here's my $.02...first, don't worry about the size thing. You'll find the room you need, believe me. It will be worth the trouble. Now, as for the 66...about 10 to 15 years ago, I wanted and got a 66. I was so disappointed with the fit, finish and over quality of the machining that I sent it back. Webbing on the underside of the tables seemed undersized. I got another 66 and ended up sending it back as well, for the same reasons. I finally decided that a 66 was not for me and got a PM2000. I have been happy with the PM2000 ever since. The tables are flat and fit and finish are great as well. I'm a hobby woodworker, so I doubt the motor will fail before I do, but if it does, I'll replace it with a Baldor.

Andrew Seemann
02-08-2021, 11:52 AM
Due to space limitations, I used to have a 32" rip fence on my Unisaw, which did most of what I needed. I have 52" now, which I much prefer, and do use enough to justify it, but I could survive with 36" if I needed to.

Unless you do a lot of ripping of dense hardwood more than 2" thick, a 5 HP motor is probably overkill. I have a 3 HP on my Unisaw, and I almost never need (or want) more power than that. For the price of that 5HP Delta, you are at about the same price as a 3HP SS PCS 36". I don't want to start the "SS vs I hate SS debate," but even if you turn the safety stuff off, it still is likely a better saw than the Delta.

This all assumes you can actually find any of these in stock somewhere.

Jack Frederick
02-08-2021, 12:30 PM
This set-up has worked out very well for me. As to, do you need it? Given your appreciation of the 66 you will smile every time you turn your new cabinet saw on, so yes, I think you need it.

Jacob Mac
02-08-2021, 2:54 PM
Julie, I'm nowhere near as good as you are at woodworking, but I did go through a similar process a few years back. I got the Grizzly 690 and it has been fine. Getting it calibrated was a real pain, but I always think calibrating machines is a pain.

If I had unlimited funds, I'm sure I would have went with an ICS or a slider. But I didn't, so I got the 690, and it hasn't held me back at all. A lack of talent and time has, but not the saw.

Mike Henderson
02-08-2021, 5:09 PM
The 36 inch saw should work fine. If you want to save a bit of money, go with the 3HP. It's plenty strong enough to do the work. If you were to use a powered feeder and putting a lot of work through the saw I'd recommend the 5HP.

I have a 3HP and it doesn't even work hard.

[Added note: If you get the 36", you can cheat a bit by moving the rails to the right to give you a bit more cut distance. I did that with mine. You give up most of the ability to use the fence on the left side of the blade but I don't miss that.]

Mike

David Publicover
02-08-2021, 5:33 PM
Hi Julie,
I’m another fan of a cabinet saw. It was a massive improvement over my previous 1.75 hp hybrid style saw. Much smoother, accurate and more powerful. I was lucky and got a great deal on a demo 3hp Sawstop ICS with 52” rails. In my small shop the long rails have been a complication. I’m looking at cutting them down to 36” but I haven’t been able to bring myself todo it quite yet. I have not felt the need to have anymore power. I haven’t had any trouble with 2” hardwood.
Having seen the high quality work you produce, I’m sure you will appreciate having a good cabinet saw and be able to take full advantage of its capabilities.
Happy birthday!
David

Charles Lent
02-09-2021, 12:53 PM
Julie,

If you have room for a Delta Contractor saw with the slider added, you have the room for a cabinet saw and slider. Whether you go with a 36" or 52" fence system will be your decision, but I ran across an 80's 3hp Unisaw with a 52" Unifence about 12 years ago. Since my shop is only 14' wide, I really needed a smaller fence system, but I can't bring myself to cut the rails (might get a bigger shop some day), so the saw is sitting at a 90 deg to the wall with the end of the fence table up against the wall. I go around it on the left end when I need to go to the other end of the shop. It's been this way since I moved it in. I never break down full sheets with it, I do this outside on a cutting table and then bring the pieces in for final cutting.

In a home shop you will never need 5hp. Three hp is all you will ever need. Find yourself a clean Unisaw in good shape. Clean it up and put that slider on it. Maybe give the arbor and motor some new bearings and new belts, and you will never need a better saw. I love my Unifence and it's ability to be used both as a high or low fence, on either side of the saw blade, and the fence extrusion can be adjusted to any length desired very easily. It's one limitation is that it's difficult to attach featherboards and other accessories. I solved this by buying a Uni-T-Fence extrusion from Peachtree Woodworking in Atlanta. This is a square extrusion with T slots on the top and face, plus a strip of HDPE on the lower face side to make feeding wood past it easier. It fits on the Unifence base casting just like the original fence extrusion. I kept both, so I can enjoy the benefits of either, depending on the project need. I added a Wixey DRO to my Unifence, so now I can move tand then re-position the fence and repeat a cut within 0.005". I don't need better than this. My son will inherit my Unisaw, and it will likely last him the rest of his life too. At this time he is using the 34-444 Delta Contractor Saw that I found and cleaned up for him.

A Powermatic 66 is a great saw too, but it will likely be more difficult to attach that slider to it than it would to a Unisaw.

Charley

Julie Moriarty
02-14-2021, 8:21 PM
Lots of great advice and input here! Not that that is surprising. Thank you, every one of you!

I'm working in a very different world now. There is at least one man there to help me (the homeowner) and sometimes more. Though we are all pushing into our 70's, or more, it's really nice to have help lugging heavy lumber into place. This really makes the work so much easier.

The other thing is, this is a pretty big job. We've roughly installed 800 bd/ft of high density woods and there's lots more to go. The neighbor's PM66 has so far ripped 4/4 bloodwood, 4/4 tigerwood (goncalo alves) and 4/4 pecky Bolivian walnut, some at 45 degrees, all without any problem. And we've got 8/4 zebrawood to resaw and rip. I'm quickly getting spoiled.

While it's been a whole lot of fun, will I ever see this kind of thing again? Probably not. People are not very receptive to a woman, especially at my age, being capable of doing this kind of work. Thing is, I haven't been in this good of shape in years. And it really feels good to be alive again. But that doesn't lend credence to competency.

Lots to think about. I really need to take some pictures and post them. It's pretty cool how this is going. As for the cabinet saw, yeah, I'd love it, but I'm really trying to be practical (something I too often fail to do.)

Thanks again. I'll make a point of taking some pictures tomorrow and post them.

Bruce Wrenn
02-14-2021, 9:07 PM
Let's think this out again. You are in your seventies. What are going to to do, wait for old age to get the saw of your dreams? By then you will be too old to enjoy it. Take that next stimulus check and GO FOR IT! Just think of it as Uncle Sam (and our grand children, they have to pay it back, plus a lot of interest) gave you a reverse inheritance. FYI, I'm having a hard time spending stimulus check on "wants," rather than needs. Did spend $400 out of the first to buy materials to replace shed roof across back of the shop. Rest and second went into savings. This allows credit union to make loans to others, so indirectly I stimulated the economy

Julie Moriarty
02-15-2021, 6:48 AM
Let's think this out again. You are in your seventies. What are going to to do, wait for old age to get the saw of your dreams? By then you will be too old to enjoy it. Take that next stimulus check and GO FOR IT! Just think of it as Uncle Sam (and our grand children, they have to pay it back, plus a lot of interest) gave you a reverse inheritance. FYI, I'm having a hard time spending stimulus check on "wants," rather than needs. Did spend $400 out of the first to buy materials to replace shed roof across back of the shop. Rest and second went into savings. This allows credit union to make loans to others, so indirectly I stimulated the economy

Whoa, Bruce! I'm not 70 for a couple of months! Until then, I refuse to accept any more aging! :rolleyes:

But seriously, I understand what you're saying. But when I imagine having a cabinet saw, the next thing nagging me is the anemic 3/4 HP cyclone dust collector that should probably be upgraded. And then we're talking another couple grand. It's at this point I throw in the towel cuz there's no way we can afford both.

Zac Martin
02-15-2021, 8:57 AM
The other thing is, this is a pretty big job. We've roughly installed 800 bd/ft of high density woods and there's lots more to go. The neighbor's PM66 has so far ripped 4/4 bloodwood, 4/4 tigerwood (goncalo alves) and 4/4 pecky Bolivian walnut, some at 45 degrees, all without any problem. And we've got 8/4 zebrawood to resaw and rip. I'm quickly getting spoiled.

Tigerwood, bloodwood, and Bolivian walnut?? OK now you HAVE to share some pictures of this kitchen when it's finished! Happy early birthday, btw!

Alan Lightstone
02-15-2021, 9:07 AM
Tigerwood, bloodwood, and Bolivian walnut?? OK now you HAVE to share some pictures of this kitchen when it's finished! Happy early birthday, btw!

Oh, yeah. Without pictures, it didn't happen. You know the rules, Julie.

I went from a tricked out SawStop contractors saw to a 5HP Sawstop ICS, and am thrilled at the difference. I also downgraded to 36" instead of 52", and rarely miss it, but love the extra space it has given me in the shop. I doubt you'll miss it.

Bruce Wrenn
02-15-2021, 9:24 AM
Whoa, Bruce! I'm not 70 for a couple of months! Until then, I refuse to accept any more aging! :rolleyes:I got your age by reading YOUR POST above. Age is a case of mind over matter, if you don't mind it doesn't matter. We have a friend who is 69 with three years of experience. As for up grading DC, you buy a Super Dust Deputy, then find a used 2 HP two stage and have a decent DC for a lot less than two grand. Remember that a thousand mile journey starts with only one step. Oh, an early HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Ted Calver
02-15-2021, 10:14 AM
The only thing more awesome than a skilled female wood worker is an SO that buys her a new Sawstop for her birthday! Welcome to the "active adult" world:D ... and another early Happy Birthday!

Jim Becker
02-15-2021, 10:14 AM
Julie, I don't think that a person having indoor or outdoor plumbing has any bearing on what they are capable of doing or enjoying. Neither does age, within reason around physical health. So if you are enjoying your woodworking as is clearly evident, having a nice, heavy saw will make for a wonderful continuation of that pursuit.

Charlie Jones
02-15-2021, 11:06 AM
I have a 3 Hp Unisaw from the nineties with the 32” Unifence. It has been entirely adequate. You will enjoy the power, precision and dust collection not matter which brand you get. I suggest bayou look for a used Unisaw or PM66. That should save you quite a bit.

Julie Moriarty
02-28-2021, 8:19 AM
I've been going back and forth between a decent DC and a real cabinet saw. From what I've seen thus far, either choice would require some concessions. Then I ran across Harvey. No not Jimmy Stewart's imaginary rabbit friend. ;)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51MDVM1Pr4L._AC_SX466_.jpg

The Harvey HW110S-36 requires no concessions. On my present TS, I have a sliding table on the left that I'd love to keep. All of the cabinet saws I've seen have an access door on the left making it impossible to mount the sliding table. The HW110S has the access door on the right. The only thing I don't know is would the angle adjustment wheel interfere with the slider bar for my sliding table? Other than that, this saw looks perfect. Reviews I've read so far are good.

And it comes with bells and whistles that are extra for every other TS. It is said to be identical to the Laguna Platinum Series TS but with overarm dust collection and a very impressive miter gauge. It would probably add to the jobs I now take to the TS.

This is it. (no extras are added to the photo)

https://i0.wp.com/harveymachinery.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/s36.png?fit=1024%2C1024&ssl=1

Charles Coolidge
02-28-2021, 8:40 AM
5hp, 12 inch blade, 1 inch arbor, 48.25" x 30.75" 2" thick cast iron table.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-12-5-hp-220v-extreme-series-table-saw/g0696x

Jim Dwight
02-28-2021, 8:43 AM
I had several lesser saws before getting my 36 inch, 1.75hp PCS. I built a lot of furniture for me and my kids with the lesser saws but it is sure nice to have a nicer saw. I can't say that it has changed what I can make or how well it is made but it is just easier to do good work. The last lesser saw I had was a Ryobi BT3100. I used it for around 10 years until the height mechanism threads wore out. I had extension rails on it and I could rip about 60 inches to the left of the blade. But it was huge and I struggled to position it within my small shop. Then I got a track saw and knew I didn't need that big a table saw. The combination of a track saw and a smaller table saw work great for me. I have zero desire to "upgrade". The track saw really helps with managing sheet goods. I can back my truck up to the shop garage and slide a sheet directly onto my outfeed/assembly/track saw cutting table. Then use the track saw to cut to finished size if it's a big piece or rough cut it if I want to make smaller pieces on the table saw. I can still handle full sheets of 3/4 other ways but if I had a bunch to do they would definitely go from truck to cutting station.

I used the lesser saws for about 40 years with no injury from them. Then early last year I got stupid raising a dado blade through the throat plate and needed six stitches and a splint for a broken bone despite the blade brake. Without the safety system I would have lost the end of at least one finger. It can happen. SawStops are pricey but not much if any more than other really nice cabinet saws. The safety system is a good idea. Even experienced careful woodworkers can make a mistake. I don't think you give up anything in the quality of the saw to get the blade brake. It and it's electronics were a nuisance at first and I still keep the manual handy if the lights start blinking but that hardly ever happens any more.

I am happy with my 1.75 hp motor now that I have learned it needs thin kerf blades. I cannot imagine needing more than 3hp. I rip 3 inch hardwood and softwood fine with the 1.75hp motor. By fine I mean regular to slightly reduced feed rate and a clean cut. Occasionally goofy grain can make it a bit harder but the saw has always gotten it done.

Lastly, I use a "2hp" HF DC that you at least used to be able to get under $200. You have to budget for different filters and/or a cyclone too but for $500 or so, I have a DC I also do not have any desire to upgrade. I have it set up with 5 inch snap lock and one long flex for infrequently used tools. You don't have to spend a ton of money to have a decent DC. I used to use a 1hp Delta and it did not do a good job at all. The HF is much more capable. I'm sure the 3-5hp DCs do better but I am good with my HF.

Julie Moriarty
03-01-2021, 9:47 AM
I was already on the fence about making this purchase. Harvey just had a price increase go in this morning. I'm off the fence now. I'll live with what I have.

Charlie Jones
03-01-2021, 11:53 PM
Julie,

My Unisaw looks exactly like the Harvey in the picture. My motor cover door is on the right. I think nyou could find a used one for a lot less. Just saying....

Julie Moriarty
03-02-2021, 9:35 AM
Julie,

My Unisaw looks exactly like the Harvey in the picture. My motor cover door is on the right. I think nyou could find a used one for a lot less. Just saying....

Just got an email from Harvey saying there's a "SALE" on that cabinet saw that just had the price hike. The sale price is the same as before the price hike. And last night my SO tells me it's okay to purchase the G-700 dust processor AND the cabinet saw. A week ago, even one of those was a stretch.

David Publicover
03-02-2021, 9:40 AM
It’s looking like someone is going to have a great birthday! Awesome. With your skills you’ll appreciate the new saw and good dust collection is a real improvement to any shop in my opinion.

Julie Moriarty
03-02-2021, 2:46 PM
It’s looking like someone is going to have a great birthday! Awesome. With your skills you’ll appreciate the new saw and good dust collection is a real improvement to any shop in my opinion.

Thank you, David. But it makes me nervous spending that much money. Right now I'm in a state of mental paralysis.

Mike Heidrick
03-02-2021, 4:37 PM
Dropped 4K in 2006 for the SS ICS 5hp. All through the Lawyer and IP argument riots of the late 2000s and early 2010s I have used that beauty and its been amazing and still is. All the while other folks have questioned my saw I have been using an amazing saw for 15 years. I've spent far more on stuff with less enjoyment and results. I only have to make me happy in my shop. I got the 52" to the right and last sunday I was still edging up 48" ply on it. It cuts small and big. You def deserve a nice saw!

David Publicover
03-02-2021, 4:52 PM
Thank you, David. But it makes me nervous spending that much money. Right now I'm in a state of mental paralysis.

Hi Julie,
i understand completely! I’ve replaced my major stationary tools over the last two years after decades of budget tools. Table saw, bandsaw and individual bench top jointer and planer with an FS 30 combo J/P. Each was a big expense and major upgrade. All I can say is that after I got them home and dialled in, I forgot about the cost. I enjoy them every day I turn them on and I turn them on often!
If you can swing it and it doesn’t cause undue harm to you or SO’s plans or lifestyle, I say “Happy Birthday”!

Julie Moriarty
03-05-2021, 3:39 PM
Hi Julie,
i understand completely! I’ve replaced my major stationary tools over the last two years after decades of budget tools. Table saw, bandsaw and individual bench top jointer and planer with an FS 30 combo J/P. Each was a big expense and major upgrade. All I can say is that after I got them home and dialled in, I forgot about the cost. I enjoy them every day I turn them on and I turn them on often!
If you can swing it and it doesn’t cause undue harm to you or SO’s plans or lifestyle, I say “Happy Birthday”!

Thank you, David, but from the lack of response I'm getting from Harvey (emails and phone calls) there seems to be no one interested in selling their tools. The phone keeps going to voicemail, which I do leave for them to answer. Emails I've sent have gone unanswered. I get emails about flash sales but no responses to my phone calls or emails. Makes me wonder about customer service...

David Publicover
03-05-2021, 4:50 PM
That’s unfortunate. My personal rule is I never fight with someone to take my money! I’d find a different brand or move on. The nice thing is you can wait until you are satisfied since you’re not in a rush. In the meantime, there’s sailing!

Rick Potter
03-06-2021, 2:36 AM
Interesting fence on that saw Julie. Looks like a cross between a Beis and a Unifence.

For what it's worth, I used to have an Excalibur slider on my 90's Unisaw, and a buddy had the same slider on his PM66. So it fits both.

Jacques Gagnon
03-06-2021, 7:04 AM

Julie:

I can relate to that feeling, having just ordered some nice new equipment.

The way I see it you are good in the shop, you like it, you are helping others around you and your partner fully supports your endeavors. Some people play golf, others collect stamps, eat everyday in a restaurant or fly an airplane. Your hobby is the workshop. Go for it!

As a former colleague used to say : « ...you only live once and then you are dead for a very long time... »