PDA

View Full Version : Pictures & thoughts on your mobile saw station. Please....

Craig Stueve
01-05-2006, 10:00 PM
First let me say "HELLO" to everyone here. I have been snooping around the site for some time now and have enjoyed all of the info I have found so far.

Now I have a little gloat that leads to my question.

I wasn't in the market for a new tablesaw, but I was in Lowes on new years weekend. I noticed a Jet contractors saw NIB on a cart by the tool area marked at $499. I had heard that Lowes had / was clearing out all of the Jet tools early last year, so it struck me as odd to see it there. I asked someone about the saw and they told me they would make me a deal on it if I was interested. He went and called the tool manager and came back to me and said I could have the saw for $300. I called my cousin to ask him if this was the same saw he has, a JET JWTS-10JF. I have used his saw several times and liked it. Once I found out that it was in fact the same saw I took it and prceeded to head home with my new toy..... tool.

My cousin called me while I was on my way home and told me that Jet had a $100 rebate on the saw now which brings my cost down to $221 including tax for a saw that sell for $750 on Amazon! I figure I can sell my old saw for $100 or so bringing mt net cost down to $121. This will be a huge, and cheap, improvement over the old Craftsman TS I've been using.;)

Now for my request.

I am operating out of a single car garage where multi-function and space saving is a requirement. I would really like to see any of the mobile saw stations you have built or might have links to. I plan on building a router station into one end (haven't decided which just yet) and would like any thoughts you might have on that as well.

Thanks,

Craig

Jeremy Gibson
01-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Craig,

I have a Grizzly contractors saw and am working on a router table in the right extension side. I too am in 1 stall of a two stall garage - er, shop - and need mobility and space saving ideas. I picked up a special publication from Better Homes & Gardens and Wood Magazine that has what looks to be a simple and modular answer. You can order this issue here http://store.woodstore.net/bewo20.html. The saw/router station is on the cover.

"I have no association with either Better Homes & Gardens or Wood Magazine"

Jim Dannels
01-05-2006, 11:18 PM
But reading your post made me think of Kelly`s.
Took a bit to find it but check out this thread.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26459&highlight=mobile

Don Baer
01-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Craig,
I picked up the same saw at a closeout price from my local Lowes for a great price and have been using it for a few months. It's a great saw and I am sure you'll realy enjoy it. As for a Mobil base Rokler's has a base for < $50 that will work nice for that saw. I personaly don't use a mobil base, I prefer to leave it stationary. I have changed the layout of my shop so I can do so. As for a router table here is a link to the one I made for mine.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=268121#post268121
Nothing fancy but it works well.
Have fun and enjoy your new tool.

PS where are the Pictures of your tools Gloat. Remember "No Picture, No Gloat"

Greg Scott
01-06-2006, 9:22 AM
Craig,
Here's mine, it is loosley based on one that was in wood magazine. Sorry about the link but I've previosly uploaded this file and don't know how to post it in the thread so the picture will show here.
Greg

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=11180&d=1097072017
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=11181&d=1097072032

Garry Smith
01-06-2006, 9:41 AM
This is the contractors saw and router table that I made some time ago. I have never finished the drawers on the right side but will do so soon.
It is not pretty but it is mobile.
http://www.superwoodworks.com/images/InsideShop/ShopShots/NorthEastToSouthWest.JPG

Andy Fox
01-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Craig,

Welcome! Congrats on the great saw deal!

The Delta mobile bases are sturdy and nice, but building your own cabinet/base allows for more efficient storage and dust collection. Sometime in the past year or so, Wood mag. had some great plans. The plans are also probably in their special workshop tips issue.

I built a separate router cabinet on casters which also serves as my outfeed table. The bit and fence get in the way less this way. I built a hybrid cab and fence of Norm's and the one featured in the Woodworking With The Router book. I had to shim the saw up 1/2" to 1/16" above the height of the router cab, since the outfeed table duty was an afterthought.

Jeffrey Schronce
01-06-2006, 12:02 PM
My cousin called me while I was on my way home and told me that Jet had a $100 rebate on the saw now which brings my cost down to $221 including tax for a saw that sell for $750 on Amazon! I

Thanks,

Craig

The rebate form says Lowes purchases do not qualify. If you have found a different form please let me know. A couple of us managed to get it for $150 in the Philadelphia market. I would almost feel dirty getting a $100 rebate . . . . almost. Please advise if you found a different rebate.

Per Jet website . . . . . * 708301K table saws purchased from Lowe's are not eligible for rebates.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-06-2006, 3:14 PM
Thanks Jim...you beat me to it. Good luck on your mobile station!

Craig Stueve
01-07-2006, 2:47 AM
Thanks to all of you who have responded so far.

For me it is nice to see what others have done and pick and chose the things that I like out of several different designs. I am fairly tall and I know that I will make my stand a little taller than average, but everything else is strill up in the air. I need to get more time in the shop to finish up what I already have started and then I can get moving on my new saw station. I also am hoping to get some more ideas at the WW show in KC.

Thanks for pointing that out to me Jeff. I had just got the link for the rebate from Amazon. The rebate form itself says nothing about Lowes purchases being excluded. I have already sent it in and will see where I get with it.

Craig

Frank Hagan
01-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Here's my router table ... complete with junk on the lower shelf and sawdust under the table saw. I'm always embarrassed after I see how clean every one else's shop is!

I went very quick and simple with the router table, just two "layers" of 1/2" baltic birch for the top, sized to fit between the rails, an apron and legs of 1x poplar. I used extra fancy drywall screws to fasten. I coated it with a few coats of shellac, and I've been very happy with that as a finish. As you can see, my table saw/router table also doubles as a workbench and finishing station.

I made the router table after putting the saw on a mobile base. I have screw-in style adjusting feet on the bottom of the legs to help compensate for a slightly uneven floor when I move the saw and router table around. This type of design isn't really "attached" to the table saw. What I like about this design is I can pull the router table out and to the middle of the adjoining two car garage if I want to.

Also, I made a quick and easy dust shield for the back of the saw that really cuts down on the dust spewing out over the motor. One of the best little modifications I've made yet. See the thread at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26465 for more on doing that.