PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a finished shop?

W Craig Wilson
01-05-2006, 9:44 PM
I've noticed that most messages that refer to shops usually include the fact that the shop is unfinished. Given the nature of this hobby, I would bet that the only complete shops are those that have been retired. Can anyone show me (photos please)

David Fried
01-05-2006, 9:47 PM
There are but not mine.:( Try searching for shop tours.

Dave Fried

Jim O'Dell
01-05-2006, 10:06 PM
What's a finished shop? Jim.:D :D :D

Lee DeRaud
01-05-2006, 10:09 PM
What's a finished shop?:D :D :DYou know, finished: drywall and paint on the walls, curtains on the windows, cheesy carpet on the floor...hey, anybody heard from Vaughn lately?:cool:

David Fried
01-05-2006, 10:38 PM
hey, anybody heard from Vaughn lately?:cool:

Vaughn mentioned he would be out of town until the 3rd. He should be popping up here any minute now...

Cecil Arnold
01-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Chris Pidilla had curtins but took them down.

Andy Hoyt
01-05-2006, 11:38 PM
I intentionally left the manufacturer's sticker on one of the replacement windows I put in two years ago. As long as it's there I'm still "in the process of". The ink has faded somewhat however. Anyone have any new stickers?:D

Bruce Page
01-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Mine’s finished, or at least the walls are!
With retirement at least 5 years away, I can only dream.

John Bailey
01-06-2006, 4:53 AM
Quit showing off Bruce.:mad:

Seriously, nice!!;)

John

tod evans
01-06-2006, 5:43 AM
mine won`t be done for years!

Alan Turner
01-06-2006, 6:55 AM
Sounds to me like a finished shop is an oxymoron. Just one more cabinet, lumber rack, jig, redo the hand tool holders to accommodate one more plane . . . .

Ken Fitzgerald
01-06-2006, 7:51 AM
My definition of a finished shop is just that ....insulated, wired, walls covered and painted....lights installed. I'm not there yet but I will be before I buy any major shop tools/machinery.............Hopefully later this spring! In the meantime, I'll just crawl back in my hole.......don't stir up the turners.......

John Weber
01-06-2006, 7:53 AM
Bruce,

Love the tool selection, nice shop!

John

Chris Damm
01-06-2006, 7:55 AM
My shop and any others that I have seen are always "A Work In Progress". It is against the law to have a "finished" shop!

Jeff Sudmeier
01-06-2006, 9:15 AM
If you mean the walls covered, no mine aren't, but I wish they were! Would make storage of a lot of things a lot easier.

Travis Porter
01-06-2006, 9:46 AM
Mine is finished (need some final painting), but I have been some what embarassed to show some (compared to what I have seen on here), but I will break down and take pictures tonight. I had the shell built (24x32) and did all the interior work myself and the exterior painting and caulking. I learned NOT to buy $5 a gallon paint for the interior as it took 7 coats of paint to get good coverage. I installed approximately 50 110V 20 amp outlets, 5 220V outlets, piped compressed air, insulated, hot and cold running water (no toilet just a sink), 24 4 ft flourescent lights, and a central forced air heat pump so that I don't have to worry about stuff freezing.

Before moving tools in, I laid the entire thing out in Visio, and I am now trying to rearrange somewhat as the layout is not quite what I thought it would be.

Chuck E Cobb
01-06-2006, 9:48 AM
Mine is close but I don't think it'll ever be finished, I have changed things twice and the type of work done has changed as well. I am still adding more.... Will it never end???

Chuck

Dennis Peacock
01-06-2006, 9:48 AM
My definition of a finished shop is just that ....insulated, wired, walls covered and painted....lights installed. I'm not there yet but I will be before I buy any major shop tools/machinery.............Hopefully later this spring! In the meantime, I'll just crawl back in my hole.......don't stir up the turners.......

Shoot, if that's the case? MANY of us will NEVER be finished!!!:rolleyes: :D

I've got a dry insulated shop with bathroom, telephone, A/C, NG Heat, and floor drains. Does that count for "finished".???

Tyler Howell
01-06-2006, 9:50 AM
My walls are covered with saw dust!
Always a work in progress.

Travis Porter
01-06-2006, 9:51 AM
Has to be 90 percent painted.;)

Frank Pellow
01-06-2006, 10:34 AM
My shop is finished according to Ken's definition :) , but I expect and hope that I will never be finished making improvements to it. :)

Tom Hamilton
01-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Me thinks, shops are like cars, boats, model trains, and all other hobbies. There is always one more accessory, modification, change, better idea or "new thing" to add.

Always a "work in progress." :o

And, this is the place were we DO our hobby! :D

All the best of 06, Tom

Steve Ash
01-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Like others have said, I don't know if they are ever done but I guess mine is as done as it is probably ever going to get. Ceiling and walls are insulated and sheeted with o.s.b. and mostly painted. All electrical is done, windows, doors etc.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27954

Steve Clardy
01-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Mines dry, warm, and workable. Mostly organized.

But it's an onging project. I added on last year. Addition is not completely done. Main shop is not done.

John Miliunas
01-06-2006, 1:24 PM
Mine’s finished, or at least the walls are!
With retirement at least 5 years away, I can only dream.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!! (Foul horn sound!!!!) Foul!!! Shop way too clean & organized!!!:eek: Doesn't count!!! :D :cool:

For my own, it's drywall, lights, electric, AC, heat, stereo, TV, VCR, DVD, finishing room, central cyclone dust collection, TS, BS, DP, jointer, planer, molder, 2 lathes, belt/disc sander, OSS, CMS, grinders, sharpening stations, router table, bunch more routers, drills, hand tools, etc... Finished??? Why HECK NO!!!!! Not by a long shot!!!!:D :cool:

Andy Hoyt
01-06-2006, 1:31 PM
....For my own, it's drywall, lights, electric, AC, heat, stereo, TV, VCR, DVD, finishing room, central cyclone dust collection, TS, BS, DP, jointer, planer, molder, 2 lathes, belt/disc sander, OSS, CMS, grinders, sharpening stations, router table, bunch more routers, drills, hand tools, etc... Finished??? Why HECK NO!!!!! Not by a long shot!!!!:D :cool:

You realize John, that by wording your post the way you did, as well as failing to post forensic photographic evidence of said shop we are actually therefore obligated to consider your shop "finished".

Ron Fritz
01-06-2006, 1:33 PM
Mine went from finished into a continuous improvement mode years ago. I don't think I'll ever get out of the continuous improvement phase.

tod evans
01-06-2006, 1:34 PM
You realize John, that by wording your post the way you did, as well as failing to post forensic photographic evidence of said shop we are actually therefore obligated to consider your shop "finished".

buck up here john or no more tools:(

John Hart
01-06-2006, 1:37 PM
My definition of a finished shop is just that ....insulated, wired, walls covered and painted....lights installed. .......don't stir up the turners.......

Too late....they're stirred up.;)

By Ken's definition...my shop's finished. Ya can't see it though, too much stuff jammed in there. Can't see the forest through the trees.

John Miliunas
01-06-2006, 1:50 PM

Ahhhh...Do NOT feel "obligated"!!! :D http://www.shoptours.org/shop_tours/files/john-miliunas2.html

Laters....:) :cool:

Cecil Arnold
01-06-2006, 3:41 PM
John, after looking at your shop tour, I didn't see any spiny things, so something is incomplete. What do you think Andy?

Andy Hoyt
01-06-2006, 4:06 PM
Cecil - More than the lack of any spinny objects, I was thoroughly dismayed by two other elements.

His spinny object making latherizing thingamachevyvegabob looked entirely brand new and still had cosmoline on it for crying out loud!

The attempt at creating a sense of smallness and clutter by overstocking the space with far too many overpriced tools and tin foil ductwork was so blatantly photoshopped that I had to log onto Nasa's infrared LatheStar 18 and check out John Hart's shop for the purpose of comparison. Needless to say, there were no heat blooms in Spring Green but the Dunnowood section of Clevetown was so hot it was off the scale!

I am apalled!:D

John Miliunas
01-06-2006, 5:12 PM
Cecil - More than the lack of any spinny objects, I was thoroughly dismayed by two other elements.

His spinny object making latherizing thingamachevyvegabob looked entirely brand new and still had cosmoline on it for crying out loud!

The attempt at creating a sense of smallness and clutter by overstocking the space with far too many overpriced tools and tin foil ductwork was so blatantly photoshopped that I had to log onto Nasa's infrared LatheStar 18 and check out John Hart's shop for the purpose of comparison. Needless to say, there were no heat blooms in Spring Green but the Dunnowood section of Clevetown was so hot it was off the scale!

I am apalled!:D

For you and Cecil both: www.eyemart.com (http://www.eyemart.com) !!!!:D Oh, and I can most assuredly guarantee there is no cosmolene on either lathe! Heck, the Vega I bought already well used and the Yorkie has had more shellacs, poly's and CA spilled and spewed on it that any cosmoline it came with!!!:D Ahhhh but, that notwithstanding, the shop in nowhere near "finished"! Heck, I don't even have running water or cable!!! :( As for tools, much is still incomplete but, I'll get by on what I have for now. Ain't got much choice!:) :cool:

Andy Hoyt
01-06-2006, 5:25 PM
....I don't even have running water or cable!!!

Oh my gawd! No cable in the shop! The horror! You are excused:D

Cecil Arnold
01-06-2006, 6:37 PM
No cable? No water? You poor thing LOL.

Jim Becker
01-06-2006, 8:05 PM
John, at least I have running water...in the summer. :)

Vaughn McMillan
01-06-2006, 8:22 PM
You know, finished: drywall and paint on the walls, curtains on the windows, cheesy carpet on the floor...hey, anybody heard from Vaughn lately?:cool:
He's baaaaaaaack.

Heck, I had the cheesy carpet before I even started buying tools. Gotta keep one's priorities straight, don'tchaknow? But I do draw the line at curtains on the windows. Don't want the place looking too frou-frou to get any work done.

My garage/shop was used as an office by the previous owner, so it's pretty finished construction-wise, but it's nowhere near finished equipment-wise.

- Vaughn

Bruce Page
01-06-2006, 8:32 PM
C'mon guys! WC asked for pics! I don't see any pics except the one that I put up! :eek:

John Miliunas
01-06-2006, 8:40 PM
C'mon guys! WC asked for pics! I don't see any pics except the one that I put up! :eek:

Hey now, wait just a minute! I "inserted" a whole "shop tour" (unfinished, of course), albeit, there have been a couple minor changes since that one. :) Regardless, I already told you: Yers don't count!!! He wanted shop pictures, NOT pictures of the local clinic!!!:D Sheeeeesh...some guys just don't get it!!!:D (I've said it before and I'll do it again: That is beautiful, Bruce!):) :cool:

Bruce Page
01-06-2006, 9:07 PM
Hey now, wait just a minute! I "inserted" a whole "shop tour" (unfinished, of course), albeit, there have been a couple minor changes since that one. :) Regardless, I already told you: Yers don't count!!! He wanted shop pictures, NOT pictures of the local clinic!!!:D Sheeeeesh...some guys just don't get it!!!:D (I've said it before and I'll do it again: That is beautiful, Bruce!):) :cool:
Sorry John, I missed the link. Darn nice shop tour but it looks pretty spiffy too! You should have seen my shop last week; I was doing some metal work and had brass, aluminum & steel chips everywhere! LOML even had me vac the house! :eek:

Fred Voorhees
01-06-2006, 9:31 PM
Sounds to me like a finished shop is an oxymoron. Just one more cabinet, lumber rack, jig, redo the hand tool holders to accommodate one more plane . . . .
I would have to agree with Alan. Is there really any one of us who will always be completely happy with our shop set up? Personally, as soon as I get two rather large corner hutches out of my shop, I plan on diving into an upgrade to a thirty two foot long workbench in my shop. It is still how I originally built it and that means that it's surface is comprised of a handful of 2X6's topped off with some hardboard. The two by's somwhat warped out of shape over the years. I plan on resurfacing the entire benchtop with two layers of 3/4 MDF and also build in a new DeWalt planer so that the benchtop acts like a huge (read that - loooong) infeed and out feed table. One or two other upgrades/improvements to the benchtop surface are also planned and I will gladly provide pictures when it is all said and done.

Joe Mioux
01-06-2006, 9:38 PM
No cable? No water? You poor thing LOL.

Lets see... TV, VCR, DVR, .... What about a refrigerator, microwave and a Lazy-boy?

Come on Milunas pick up the pace and start making that shop look like a reall........ ah..........ahhhh.......... ahhhhhhhhhhh........

well NM:o

Joe

Andy Hoyt
01-06-2006, 9:59 PM
Okay, I'm feeling a bit sorry for Bruce Page being all alone; so I'll throw this picture in. Was taken early last fall and I think I've put it up here before.

And just to prove that things change, here's one I just took five minutes ago.
No TV, no icebox, no running water, no housekeeping, little bit of sawdust

Have at it.:o

Bruce Page
01-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks Andy, it gets lonely at the top...:cool: :rolleyes: :D

Jim Dunn
01-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Andy, how come you have a fence in your shop??? Is it to keep you away from all those nice tools? Or is to keep you away from the shop help?

Jim

Andy Hoyt
01-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Jim - Look here

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26906&thumb=1&d=1133670099

John Miliunas
01-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Lets see... TV, VCR, DVR, .... What about a refrigerator, microwave and a Lazy-boy?

Come on Milunas pick up the pace and start making that shop look like a reall........ ah..........ahhhh.......... ahhhhhhhhhhh........

well NM:o

Joe

Dang it, Joe! You busted me! Nope, no Lazy-boy. However, I did indeed forget to mention the computer, laser printer, phones, fridge and microwave!:rolleyes: Oh, and an el cheapo intercom, so that wifey can buzz me to get my sorry behind in the house for supper! :D :cool:

Jim Dunn
01-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Is that your idea of a hay ride wagon. Here in the midwest we use something softer!

By the way my shop isn't finished either.

Jim

Peter M. Spirito
01-07-2006, 7:32 PM
:( Die.............. :) Otherwise its a labor of love