PDA

View Full Version : Any way to fix a bowed *fiberglass* door?

mreza Salav
02-04-2021, 2:42 PM
On a couple of new houses we built the 1 3/8"x 3'x8' entry doors that are *fiberglass* are bowed badly on the latch side (one worse than the other). The first year they were fine but now one has about 3/8"-1/2" gap at the top/bottom. As our weather is cold (-20C and below) frosts builds up around from inside and outside. As a temporary solution I have tried to add more weather strip around since the supplier we have been working with for years is dragging its feet to back up warranty. Short of dishing out $2k+ for two new doors is there any way to reduce the amount of bow in them?
I thought about clamping a straight 2x6 with some spacer in the middle for some time and trying to reverse the bow, perhaps using a heat gun along the door to soften/flex it back a bit? I highly doubt this would help in the longer run...

Any advice/suggestions is appreciated.

Adam Herman
02-04-2021, 3:15 PM
is it fiberglass sheets on 2 sides of a wood frame with foam in the middle as is typical?

I wonder if the extreme temp difference is expanding and contracting the fiberglass sheets and creating the bow? one would think it would bow the other way though. people don't crown doors anymore, the bow should face in so that the top and bottom hit the stop and the lock pulls it closed, creating a better seal. another solution could be a 3 point lock, top bottom and center.

Robert Engel
02-04-2021, 3:29 PM
Not that I know of. The doors are filled with rigid foam.

Frank Pratt
02-04-2021, 3:48 PM
I've read of a piece of hardware that is built into the door, or can be routed into the edge of the door and can be tightened at the top to pull the door back straight. It's made specifically for taking the bow out of doors. But I cannot remember where, or what it was called.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-04-2021, 3:55 PM
Manufacturer warranty should cover that, unless you mess with it, then you let them off the hook.