PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox W1854 Drum Sander

Larry Blighton
02-03-2021, 10:29 PM
I am looking at a used Shop fox W1854 Drum Sander. It looks good and was told that it had very few hours on it. I have tried to research it online to check out some reviews but haven’t been able to find a lot of reviews.
I would like to hear people’s opinions on this sander, so you own it, know anything about it.

Alex Zeller
02-04-2021, 1:54 AM
Have you looked for reviews on the Grizzly G0458Z? I think they are the same. I don't own one so I can't comment on it but I was thinking about one until a used Woodmaster came up.

Cary Falk
02-04-2021, 8:42 AM
I owned the Grizzly badged version of it. I bought it used and kept it for about 5 years until it got replaced by a SuperMax 25-50. The design makes the drum very ridgid. The sandpaper clamps hold the sandpaper very well but are a pain to use. I found a system that worked pretty well. Mine had a weird rectangular dust port that I had to make a wood adapter for a 4" hose. Due to all the belts it is a pretty noisy machine. The manual says to oil all the bushings inside the cover daily. One or 2 of them are extremely hard to get to. I did fight belt tracking a lot. I bought it used so I don't know if it was over used by it's previous owner but I had to replace the drum bearings and the motor. There is no way I would pay full price for it. Depending on the price I might take a gamble on it. I used it a lot.

Larry Blighton
02-04-2021, 9:38 AM
I owned the Grizzly badged version of it. I bought it used and kept it for about 5 years until it got replaced by a SuperMax 25-50. The design makes the drum very ridgid. The sandpaper clamps hold the sandpaper very well but are a pain to use. I found a system that worked pretty well. Mine had a weird rectangular dust port that I had to make a wood adapter for a 4" hose. Due to all the belts it is a pretty noisy machine. The manual says to oil all the bushings inside the cover daily. One or 2 of them are extremely hard to get to. I did fight belt tracking a lot. I bought it used so I don't know if it was over used by it's previous owner but I had to replace the drum bearings and the motor. There is no way I would pay full price for it. Depending on the price I might take a gamble on it. I used it a lot.

Thanks, Right now I only know what the owner has told me. I am suppose to go look at it tomorrow and hear/see it run. I am pretty sure that I can get it for $600 maybe a little less.

Cary Falk
02-04-2021, 11:45 AM
I think $600 is too much. I bought mine for $500 and I think I sold it for $450.

Larry Blighton
02-04-2021, 12:52 PM
I think $600 is too much. I bought mine for $500 and I think I sold it for $450.

Thanks good to know

Larry Blighton
02-05-2021, 11:46 AM
Thanks everyone, I have decide to pass on this sander as I could not find a lot of reviews and I it must not be very popular as no one on several forums as spoke up with their opinion. So again thanks.