PDA

View Full Version : Loading A Brad Nailer-What is the Correct Way??

Randy Meijer
01-05-2006, 8:57 PM
Just bought an 18G brad nailer.....my first pneumatic tool. Intuitively, I assume that the tool should be loaded before attaching the air line; but the instruction sheet is contradictory. One place it says load before adding air and in another it says add air first. Anyone know which is correct and why?? Thanks. :confused: :confused:

Richard Wolf
01-05-2006, 9:03 PM
I think you are over thinking this one. I never disconnect the air to reload. Put nails in and shot.

Richard

Bruce Page
01-05-2006, 9:08 PM
Ditto what Richard said, I don't worry about it. (There will probably be people that disagree.)
I always make sure to give it a couple of drops of oil before hooking up the air.

Jack Hogoboom
01-05-2006, 9:08 PM
Add air first and then the nails. That way you prevent an accidental misfire. Oh, and make sure you empty the nailer when you're done or the first instruction won't do you much good.:rolleyes:

Jack

Steve Clardy
01-05-2006, 9:20 PM
Either way. I never unload nails, unless I'm changing lengths.
Air on, air off. No difference.

Jim Becker
01-05-2006, 10:22 PM
Given that most guns have a trigger lock that will not allow them to fire without the nose being in hard contact with material, you can likely load either way. Although I most often load "air less", because I do it before I get to the bench, I've re-loaded with air innumerable times. Now, if you are teaching others...teach them to load without air. It still is safest.

Randy Meijer
01-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Well, you guys are no help at all!! :D :D Still getting votes for both methods. :confused: :confused: Guess I will have to fire off an email to Porter Cable and see what their techs say.

BTW, I called the local hardware store and they told me to add air before nails.

Pete Grass
01-05-2006, 11:43 PM
I never unload nails, unless I'm changing lengths.
Reminds me of a story - years ago I painstakingly built two in-wall medicine cabinets for two major bath remodels we were wrapping up. They mounted between studs - fit great and looked great. Plan was to put a matching trim around the outside edge to hide the wallboard joint with the cabinet - a nail gun was the right tool but I didn't have one the time. I knew a guy who did and he agreed to come over and pop the trim on. He changed nails, but the 2-1/2 inch one in the tip didn't come out. Imagine our surprise as it came into the interior of the cabinet. I repaired it and no one can find it today, but never again.

Pete

Don Baer
01-05-2006, 11:48 PM
I just shoot until the nailer runs out then I pop it open and reload. Never bother with unhooking the air line. When I'm done I unplug the airline and put the gun away. sometimes I remember to check it to see how many brads are in the thing before I start using it and when I do and need brads I just fill it up.

Randy Meijer
01-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Had a mini-brainstorm!! Went to Amazon dot com and searched for a brad nailer. Found one and downloaded the manual. Here is what Porter Cable says in their brad nailer manual.

"13. CONNECT TOOL TO AIR SUPPLY BEFORE loading fasteners, to prevent a fastener from being fired during connection. The tool driving mechanism may cycle when tool is connected to the air supply. Fig. 8."

Dan Mages
01-05-2006, 11:59 PM
My paranoid method for loading a nail gun.

1. If it is the start of the day, oil the gun.
2. Disconnect the hose.
3. point the gun AWAY from yourself.
4. load gun with nails and reset it.
5. reconnect gun.
6. have fun!!

Good luck.

Dan

Tim Marks
01-06-2006, 6:45 PM
geez...

it doesn't matter! Has ANYONE ever had a misfire due to loading BEFORE connecting air?

I doubt it. I never have.

1. Pick up the gun
2. Put a couple drops of oil in it.
3. Does it need more nails (maybe). Load it
4. Connect the air
5. Fire all the nails.
6. Load more nails (don't bother to disconnect air)
7. fire some more nails.
8. Disconnect and put it in the case
9. Pick up the gun
10. Put a couple of drops of oil in it...
11. Probably still has some nails in it, does it need more?

Lee DeRaud
01-06-2006, 7:13 PM
Has ANYONE ever had a misfire due to loading BEFORE connecting air?Oh sure, probably a couple of geeks at OSHA or Porter-Cable's product liability department managed to bugger one up enough to make it do that. Maybe even deliberately...or at least that's what they told the boss after the fact.:p

Real world? Highly unlikely.

Don Baer
01-06-2006, 7:16 PM
geez...

it doesn't matter! Has ANYONE ever had a misfire due to loading BEFORE connecting air?

I doubt it. I never have.

1. Pick up the gun
2. Put a couple drops of oil in it.
3. Does it need more nails (maybe). Load it
4. Connect the air
5. Fire all the nails.
6. Load more nails (don't bother to disconnect air)
7. fire some more nails.
8. Disconnect and put it in the case
9. Pick up the gun
10. Put a couple of drops of oil in it...
11. Probably still has some nails in it, does it need more?

Make shure that the heads are up and the pinty end down...:D

Tyler Howell
01-06-2006, 8:57 PM
I hear what your saying and why.......Buuuuuuut this is another power tool. I always disconnect before reloading and pull the battery on the Impulse before a reload.:o
Just seams right

Lee DeRaud
01-06-2006, 9:05 PM
I hear what your saying and why.......Buuuuuuut this is another power tool. I always disconnect before reloading and pull the battery on the Impulse before a reload.:o Hmmm...the manufacturers' cautions seem to be biased the other way: they appear to be afraid a loaded nailer will fire accidently when it gets reconnected (or the battery shoved back in for the Paslode).

Heck, it's just a gun: finger off the trigger, muzzle pointed downrange, shove in a full mag...what's the problem?

Steve Clardy
01-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Reminds me of a story - years ago I painstakingly built two in-wall medicine cabinets for two major bath remodels we were wrapping up. They mounted between studs - fit great and looked great. Plan was to put a matching trim around the outside edge to hide the wallboard joint with the cabinet - a nail gun was the right tool but I didn't have one the time. I knew a guy who did and he agreed to come over and pop the trim on. He changed nails, but the 2-1/2 inch one in the tip didn't come out. Imagine our surprise as it came into the interior of the cabinet. I repaired it and no one can find it today, but never again.

Pete

Understand that one.:eek: :rolleyes: I have done that.:( :mad:

But I seldom change lenghts of nails in my guns. I have ten guns.:)

Steve Clardy
01-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Oh yea. I once had a Craftsman 16 gauge, that would fire a nail when air was hooked up.
I had two of those guns, identical.
Never did figure out what was up with that one. I sold both of them.

Randy Meijer
01-07-2006, 12:41 AM
geez...it doesn't matter! Has ANYONE ever had a misfire due to loading BEFORE connecting air?

I've never been in a plane crash; but I know that they do happen??:eek:

Tim Marks
01-07-2006, 8:18 AM
I've never been in a plane crash; but I know that they do happen??:eek:

Yeah, but I KNOW that my PC guns don't fire on connecting air (I only have 5 of them :( ).

Now, apparently, if you have a craftsman, you need to treat your nailer like it is a 9mm pistol, and unload it after each use, and reload it before each use....

tod evans
01-07-2006, 8:27 AM
years back i had an old 60`s model senco 1/4 crown stapler that would cycle when plugged in but in the last 20 yrs i haven`t encountered that problem with senco or paslode..........02 tod

Randy Meijer
01-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Yeah, but I KNOW that my PC guns don't fire on connecting air (I only have 5 of them :( ).....

I'm not trying to be a HA or get a big agrument started. My only interest was in finding out what was the "recommended" procedure. Do note, Tim, that the quoted procedure for adding air first came from a manual for a PC nailer!!

Randy Meijer
01-07-2006, 12:27 PM
I just receiced a response from the harbor freight technical support people and their advice is "AIR FIRST" !!

Personally, I'm satisfied, now, that "air first" is the correct method; but if others have a different method that they consider safe and are more comfortable with, that's fine. Everyone is certainly entitled to make their own choice!! My thanks to all who have responded to this thread. Your input is appreciated!!

Steve Clardy
01-07-2006, 5:39 PM
Glad you settled on a way Randy:)