PDA

View Full Version : Lathe "Spin Direction" question

BRIAN JACKSON
02-01-2021, 11:11 PM
For some reason, I'm just noticing something - the direction in which my lathe spins compared to others I see online.

I have a Rockwell-Delta 46-111 (old, but does well - circa 1978 according to serial) and the wood spins toward me (so, counter clockwise). I've seen numerous videos online where the wood spins AWAY from turner (so, clockwise).

Am I seeing things correctly? Does it matter which way the wood spins?

Thanks!
Brian

John K Jordan
02-01-2021, 11:29 PM
For some reason, I'm just noticing something - the direction in which my lathe spins compared to others I see online.

I have a Rockwell-Delta 46-111 (old, but does well - circa 1978 according to serial) and the wood spins toward me (so, counter clockwise). I've seen numerous videos online where the wood spins AWAY from turner (so, clockwise).

Am I seeing things correctly? Does it matter which way the wood spins?

Thanks!
Brian

It absolutely matters which way the wood is turning (unless you are sanding).

The top of the wood normally spins towards you, counterclockwise as viewed from the tailstock. This is the only way you can use the tool rest on a spindle or on the outside of a piece. It lets you cut on the side towards you inside a bowl or somesuch so you often support the tool better. If it spun the other way the tool would be lifted from the tool rest and couldn't cut. This direction also keeps the right-hand threads tight when turning aggressively or in the event of a catch.

If in a video someone is cutting on the front and the lathe appears to be turning the other way then you are seeing an artifact of the video where the frame rate and the lathe rpm work against each other and the direction just appears to be rotating clockwise. This effect was common in old western movies shot on film for the wagon wheels to appear to be spinning backwards.

It is possible to turn in reverse and I do that on occasion, cutting on the inside of the opposite (far) side.

I once had a variable rate strobe light used to stop action on moving parts to examine them closely. By varying the rate you could make a fan appear to slow down, stop, and reverse. (Since this could make cyclic or rotating things appear to stop it could be be quite hazardous!)

JKJ

David Walser
02-01-2021, 11:29 PM
Brian -- The 'forward' direction of spin is counter clockwise. In 'reverse' a lathe spins clockwise. Sometimes, if a lathe can run in reverse, turners will take advantage of that option. Most often, it's done when sanding. (In theory, when sanding in the normal direction, the abrasive causes the fibers of the wood to lay down in one direction. Sanding with the lathe in reverse cuts those fibers.) Also, when hollowing (or even turning the inside of a bowl), running in reverse, gives you a better view of the cutting edge of your tool and allows you to keep the tool handle closer to your body.

HTH