PDA

View Full Version : Drill Bits

Mitchell Ristine
02-01-2021, 2:31 PM
Hey folks, what are your go to drill bits for wood applications?

Rod Sheridan
02-01-2021, 2:34 PM
Hi Mitchell, I use Forstener, lipped Brad points, standard jobber twist drills and tapered twist drills for wood screws.

I also use a few carbide tipped metric bits for dowels and shelf pins.

For electrical work I use auger bits.............Regards, Rod.

Frank Drackman
02-01-2021, 2:44 PM
For wood I use brad point & forstener bits most often.

ChrisA Edwards
02-01-2021, 3:38 PM
Any recommendations on brands?

Phil Gaudio
02-01-2021, 4:17 PM
Fuller Brad Point Bits: excellent quality and made in USA

Phil Gaudio
02-01-2021, 4:19 PM
Freud Carbide Forstner Bits: Made in Italy (which is not China)

glenn bradley
02-01-2021, 4:28 PM
I also use Forstner, lipped brad point, and standard jobber twist drills. Forstners for flat bottom or large diameter holes, bradpoints for almost all solid wood drilling, twist bits for composites and plywood.

Lisa Starr
02-01-2021, 4:33 PM
I use Jobber Twist Drills, Forstner and occasionally a Spade Drill. For the Jobbers, any good US brand like Greenfield will hold up the best.

Tom M King
02-01-2021, 4:48 PM
My "Bits" toolbox weighs about 40 pounds, and that doesn't include the ones in the "Big Bits" box, or the "Holesaw" box.

John K Jordan
02-01-2021, 5:18 PM
Hey folks, what are your go to drill bits for wood applications?

Depends on the application - deep holes at the lathe, shallow large diameter, rough holes or precision, hand held or drill press.
Like others I use a wide variety.

My favorite at the lathe are taper shank bits - they fit into the tailstock with no chuck needed.

JKJ

Orlando Gonzalez
02-01-2021, 8:07 PM
Jobber twist drill, forsteners, brad point
Brands - W. L. Fuller (brads), Fisch (large brad point), CMT (forstener). For jobbers anything I can get.

Mitchell Ristine
02-01-2021, 10:13 PM
I should have been much more specific. Sorry. I'm looking for Brand and material for twist jobbers.

Earl McLain
02-02-2021, 6:22 AM
Much of my drilling is through end grain on the lathe (pen blanks). Norseman split points for my imperial sizes, for metric set i picked up Viking. Real happy with how true they run, flutes clear nicely, and have stayed very sharp for 2 years work in a variety of hard exotics and stabilized wood. Not a lot of tolerance in drilling for pens, and those two sets have paid for themselves.
earl

Rob Luter
02-02-2021, 8:05 AM
Freud Forstener bits and a 28 piece lipped brad point set from Lee Valley. Super quality in both cases.

Rod Sheridan
02-02-2021, 8:59 AM
I should have been much more specific. Sorry. I'm looking for Brand and material for twist jobbers.

Cleveland, Chicago, Triumph.

I normally buy HSS jobber length drills, split tip, cobalt if I'm going to use them in stainless steel.

Lee Valley sell Triumph drill bits, they're as good as Cleveland or Chicago...............Regards, Rod.

Eric Schmid
02-02-2021, 11:16 AM
I buy from two local suppliers. One sells primarily Champion and Triumph, the other Fuller and Norseman. All excellent bits. Drilling in steel quickly separates the average from great.

I picked up a few quarter inch bits recently to drill 250 holes in 1/8” wall aluminum. I was surprised I only used 1 bit. It might have been Norseman and I honestly don’t know which steel they gave me. That’s the beauty of good suppliers. Tell them the application and they sell you what you need. A dying skill, unfortunately.

In wood, a sharp tip is most important for my purposes. I do a lot of freehand, unguided drilling as opposed to time on the drill press. I think HSS tends to be sharper initially than other metals, but this could just be perception. Certainly, nothing more is needed for drilling wood, right?

For drilling strictly wood, my go to bits are Fuller taper bits with counter bore. Nice sharp point, long lasting.

glenn bradley
02-02-2021, 11:32 AM

LOL. Yes, you did get quite a lot of info that wasn't spot on, eh? I'm not in the tapered bit camp so I will let those that use them comment; hopefully a little more targeted from this point on :D

Ed Edwards
02-02-2021, 3:28 PM
Drill Bits
Rod Sheridan's second post says it all

Ed

Mike Kees
02-02-2021, 8:51 PM
Mitchell I like Cle-line bits. Have used these for about 15 years.

Mike Kees
02-02-2021, 9:03 PM
So how do you like the riser block on your delta ?