PDA

View Full Version : How do you secure applied moldings?

Joe Unni
01-05-2006, 7:17 PM
Hey all,

I've built some flat (recessed) panel doors and have milled some molding to place around the perimeter of the panel - just to give a little character to the door...and cause that's what the customer requested.

The rails/stiles are made of red oak as well as the molding and the panels are plain sawn red oak ply.

My question is what is the best way to secure the molding? Should they just be tacked? Glued? My thought was to glue the miters and use dabs of glue in the corners and at the mid-point. A was also going to tack in the same location.

I'm just curious how you all would do this. I've one shot at this as time is becoming a factor.

Any info would be very helpful.

Thanks,
-joe

Dino Makropoulos
01-05-2006, 7:23 PM
My question is what is the best way to secure the molding? Should they just be tacked?

Yes. No glue.

Phil Phelps
01-05-2006, 7:45 PM
Are you staing them or painting them? If you are painting them you should glue and caulk them.

Walt Pater
01-05-2006, 8:04 PM
Here you go:
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8222+highlight=clamps

Joe Unni
01-07-2006, 4:24 PM
Thanks everyone!

I went out and bought the Porter Cable Pin Nailer. What a cool tool!! It worked like a champ! However, I was a bit surpized to learn that they're quite a bit more expensive than brad nailers. Any clue as to why?

Thanks again,
-joe

Peter Pedisich
01-07-2006, 4:33 PM
Joe,

I'm no expert, but my hunch is the precision required for the inner workings of the gun. Also, maybe the fact they don't sell as many as they sell of 18ga brad guns.
I got a PC 23ga pinner this summer and it worked great, a little marking of softwood until I got a feel for how to hold it.

Just curious, what pressure do you run it at?

Pete

Joe Unni
01-07-2006, 7:13 PM
Just curious, what pressure do you run it at?
Pete

Pete,

I suspect you're right about the reason for the price.

For the job at hand I had the compressor around 120psi (after shooting one pin at 100) as I didn't want to risk having to "nail set" the pins afterward. I was driving the pins into this tiny oak molding into oak rails/stiles.

Thanks,
-joe

Alan Turner
01-07-2006, 7:34 PM
A tip for this valuabe tool -- the 23 ga. pin nailer. To fill the holes, just put a drop of CA glue on the hole, and then sand with 320 grit for about 15 or 20 seconds. The sawdust will mix with the wet CA glue, and then it will all dry together, and you will have filled the hole with sawdust. The finish, whatever it is, will not show the filled hole. Quick and easy. A Jeff Jewit tip, by the way.

David Abel
01-08-2006, 12:44 AM
A tip for this valuabe tool -- the 23 ga. pin nailer. To fill the holes, just put a drop of CA glue on the hole, and then sand with 320 grit for about 15 or 20 seconds. The sawdust will mix with the wet CA glue, and then it will all dry together, and you will have filled the hole with sawdust. The finish, whatever it is, will not show the filled hole. Quick and easy. A Jeff Jewit tip, by the way.

Yup! that's what I do when joints aren't tight; CA glue and then rub some sawdust from my 1/4 pad sander's DC cannister.

Joe Unni
01-08-2006, 8:16 AM
...just put a drop of CA glue on the hole...
Alan,

Sounds like a great tip. What formula CA is best for this application?

Thanks,
-joe

Alan Turner
01-09-2006, 9:42 AM
I use the medium viscosity, I think, but I suspect it does not matter much.

Joe Unni
01-09-2006, 8:42 PM
I use the medium viscosity, I think, but I suspect it does not matter much.

Thanks Alan. Will be trying this tomorrow.

-joe