PDA

View Full Version : sometimes it ain't about the joinery

Bill Carey
02-01-2021, 12:09 PM
Our cat Faith died last week after a long 23 year life. She was part monkey and spent a lot of time up in the trees in the yard. SWMBO asked if I could make a box for her ashes that would let Faith remain in the trees. So I found a walnut burl/crotch at Cassens, made a couple of cuts to size and shape, and made the 4" deep mortise from hell in the bottom for the ashes. The grain ran every which a way so it took 3 hours to make the mortise without worsening the cracking and checking in the wood. Sometimes we have to put away our fancy tools and machines and find the Occam's razor that is the right thing to do. Strangely enough this was an enormously satisfying task. Whodathunk.

450968 450969 450970 450971 450972

Mel Fulks
02-01-2021, 1:34 PM
Well done,and I'm sure you and your lady will be comforted by it. Cats are eccentrics ....who love beauty and demand the
best of everything. So it's "just right".

Jim Becker
02-01-2021, 1:52 PM
Bill, condolences on Faith's passing and wow...what a wonderful may to memorialize her! You're adding to my idea inventory for clients, too...

Ron Selzer
02-01-2021, 2:09 PM
Nice work
Ron

Bill McNiel
02-01-2021, 3:24 PM
Very creative William. I didn't read your post regarding its use as an ern before showing the photos to Linda as another very cool house idea for our "Fairy Village".

thanks for the post.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2021, 5:07 PM
Sorry for the loss of your furry family member Bill. That is a well executed resting spot for Faith's ashes.

Tom Bain
02-01-2021, 8:28 PM
Condolences on your loss. Always hard to say farewell to our fur-babies.

Ron Kanter
02-01-2021, 8:50 PM
A wonderful response to a sad event.

Bill Carey
02-01-2021, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. Faith was really her cat, and my wife loves it, which was the desired effect after all. After 23 years together she is missing her friend and I was glad to be able to ease the pain and provide some comfort.

Phil Mueller
02-02-2021, 6:58 AM
A true labor of love. Well done, Bill.

Jim Matthews
02-04-2021, 7:03 AM
Our cat Faith died last week after a long 23 year life. She was part monkey and spent a lot of time up in the trees in the yard. SWMBO asked if I could make a box for her ashes that would let Faith remain in the trees. 450972

This is about the sweetest thing I've ever heard.

As a kid we lived with a Siamese that would get "that look" in her eyes and skitch up the nearest tree.

It always ended with a ladder and recriminations, as if we were the cause of her predicament.

That cat lived twenty some years and at the end she was just the essentials: bones, fur and purr.

Condolences

Bill Carey
02-04-2021, 9:39 AM
..............It always ended with a ladder and recriminations, as if we were the cause of her predicament...............Condolences

Thx Jim. How do cats get away with that? No matter what happens, or what kind of shit they pull, it's never their fault. They always leave the scene of the crime with their heads held high and haughty look back that clearly says we are just too dumb to understand them. Bones, fur and a purr is about right.

David Utterback
02-05-2021, 10:18 AM
Thx Jim. How do cats get away with that? No matter what happens, or what kind of shit they pull, it's never their fault. They always leave the scene of the crime with their heads held high and haughty look back that clearly says we are just too dumb to understand them. Bones, fur and a purr is about right.

Your cask is very imaginative and looks like a lot of work. Love the descriptions of cat attitude from you and Jim. I have to think those attributes are tolerable in cats but not humans. We have had many cats over the years that all behaved that way. Wonderful companions. Condolences to you and your wife.