PDA

View Full Version : Best blade and technique for miter on white oak shelving

Ray Frederick
01-31-2021, 7:13 PM
Hello all,

I've been doing so much laminate and Corian work I'm not as up to practice in my woodworking as usual.

I have to cut some white oak shelving on a job, it has a 3" drop edge on each edge and is about 12" deep. I wasn't able to scare up a 8 1/4" wormdrive this weekend which would have just made the cut in a single pass. I'm planning to clamp a shooting board on and make the cuts with my Skil Saw with a 7 1/4" blade. It is solid white oak.

I have to do these on the jobsite (only 2 cuts) otherwise I would bring them back to my shop and make a sled to do the cuts on my powermatic 66.

Any recommendations for blade (brand and tooth count..can hit any hardware store or HomeDepot/Lowes) and also for finishing the drop edge portion of the cut? I was thinking using my sharp handsaw to ride the waste side of the kerf to complete the cut through the drop edge and then carefully using the belt sander or a block with belt sander belt to square up the nib left over.

The cuts are angled cuts so not a pure 90 degree crosscut. I was thinking 40 tooth blade...and one of the new triple chip cutter style carbide ones Dewalt has if I can scare one up. Otherwise Freud 40 tooth Diablo I suppose.