PDA

View Full Version : Which plane for flattening large panels

Brian Hale
01-05-2006, 6:33 PM
In my recent quest to stop using plywood, i find myself at a loss of how to flatten large glued-up panels of hardwood (currently 24x53 ash). I'm guessing i want a long plane like the BU jointer from Lee Valley, am i correct?

The Baltimore woodworking show is this weekend and I'm hoping for some kind of deal :cool:

Thanks

Brian :)

tod evans
01-05-2006, 6:40 PM
brian, i`d use an old 4 1/2 with the blade corners knocked off and frog slid back to open the mouth to get it close then a plain ol` 7 or 8 to clean it up........02 tod

Mike Wenzloff
01-05-2006, 8:14 PM
Hi Brian--as many choices as there are users...

I prefer to flatten with the longer planes like a jack or jointer, depending on the size of the panel. The size of your example I would probably begin with my jointer and then do a once over with a dedicated, finely set smoother.

All roads lead to Rome, though. Either of the methods above--and more--will get you there.

Take care, Mike

Kelly Anderson
01-05-2006, 8:48 PM
I just got the new Popular Woodworking in the mail this week and they have a great article on hand plans. Lots of good information.

Pam Niedermayer
01-06-2006, 9:29 AM
You probably want a fairly long plane like a jointer for the flattening. For smoothing after, a shorter plane is great.

Pam

Mark Singer
01-06-2006, 9:45 AM
A great deal of work is saved by careful assembly and glue up....check the joints with a straight edge..make sure the jointer fence is at 90 degrees to the bed...strongbacck across boards to kep flat...Then I just scrape glue off joints when dry...use a cabinet or card scraper to flush joints...a 41/2 or 5 is a good plane if you need to use one...If the panel is flat you are just blending joints so the long plane is not that critical