PDA

View Full Version : Use any physically small tools?

Frederick Skelly
01-31-2021, 5:36 PM
I'm always interested in learning what tools others make or adapt. Today I'm interested in tools that are small in size but which help you get a job done. I have two to start the discussion.
* Veritas mini block plane. It's a fully functional 1" long block plane. I find myself using it more and more as a go-to tool for knocking the edges off small projects like boxes. I use it all the time now.

* Single edge razor blades. I re-sharpen used blades on a 500 grit ceramic stone. I find that the 500 grit makes them into very handy small scrapers. They pull a small, thin shaving. Again, I use them on small parts and small boxes.

Anyone have more functional small tools or tool tips?
Fred

John Lanciani
01-31-2021, 5:48 PM
The Lie-Nielsen #100 model makers block plane is my personal favorite for chamfering edges. It gets used on nearly every project.

Jim Koepke
01-31-2021, 6:04 PM
My Veritas Mini-Router has been used on a couple of projects:

It will likely be used on future projects for small hinge mortises.

jtk

Derek Cohen
01-31-2021, 7:52 PM
I had and sold the LN #100 block plane after the Veritas Pocket Plane came out. Now that is a wonderful plane, and not just for tiny work.

The other “small” plane I use a lot is the Veritas Small Shoulder Plane. This has a 1/2” blade and gets used on all rebates.

These knives for marking are among the best ...

https://i.postimg.cc/9fRd6mJV/DSC_0502.jpg

I recently purchased a new 150mm Starrett double square, and it has become my go-to. I have a vintage 6” version, but have been increasingly using metric over imperial.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Frederick Skelly
01-31-2021, 8:35 PM
Good stuff all! Keep em coming guys.

Derek - where did you find the Stanley 0-10-958 knife? Everywhere I look says they are unavailable.

Dave Zellers
01-31-2021, 9:02 PM
I have and use the Veritas mini shoulder plane and mini router plane. They both are fully functional and really useful in the right situation. I also have a similarly sized 1/2" wide rosewood chisel plane that I use all the time to clean up inside corners, but admittedly, often a regular chisel can do that job. Something about tiny tools makes me smile when I use them.

Frederick Skelly
01-31-2021, 9:18 PM
Something about tiny tools makes me smile when I use them.

Me too Dave. Thanks for the thoughts.

Derek Cohen
01-31-2021, 10:43 PM

Derek - where did you find the Stanley 0-10-958 knife? Everywhere I look says they are unavailable.

Look on Amazon. Here is one: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-10-049-Pocket-Knife-Rotating/dp/B00002X201/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Stanley+0-10-958+knife&qid=1612150339&sr=8-1

The other to look for (I highly recommend) is the Swan Morton at the top. The top two use the same blades.

https://i.postimg.cc/W1hjhYSn/Knife2a.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nathan Johnson
01-31-2021, 11:03 PM

Looks like Ace Hardware or Home Depot could ship you a 10-049.

Scott Winners
02-01-2021, 2:51 AM
I have a no-name vintage 3/4 chisel stamped "Sheffield" that I ground as a tiny timber framing slick. I can pare with a straight/square edge, but I feel safer with a bit of crown on the edge. Handy for trimming up furniture sized tenons.

john zulu
02-01-2021, 3:15 AM
I do use the Luban 101.
https://www.workshopheaven.com/quangsheng-no-101-small-block-plane.html

It really depends on the task at hand.

Mike Soaper
02-01-2021, 9:43 AM
"where did you find the Stanley 0-10-"958" knife? Everywhere I look says they are unavailable."

You may have inadvertently swapped the 9 and 5, there's someone selling Stanley 0-10-598 's @ $20 on that big auction site

Charles Taylor
02-01-2021, 9:04 PM
My Veritas Mini-Router has been used on a couple of projects:

It will likely be used on future projects for small hinge mortises.

jtk
I have that same router plane. I think I’ve used it once so far—look forward to using it some more.

steven c newman
02-01-2021, 9:10 PM
My hands don't quite work that small.....Uncle Arthur ( itis) seems to bother fingers the most....

Jim Koepke
02-02-2021, 2:38 AM
This is another small tool from Veritas:

It is helpful on small dovetails checking for square.

Another recently acquired is the Veritas Mini-Spokeshave. it hasn't been set up and used yet. There is another mini-spokeshave in the shop:

The set of three small chisels was also purchased and are yet to be used.

jtk

Jason Buresh
02-02-2021, 10:36 AM

I find myself using this veritas pocket square a lot. It is very nice for edge work, especially on 3/4" stock. A lot less bulky and easier to handle. Do let it sit out on the bench when making plane shavings though. Ask me how i know......

I have a mini router plane as well that I used on hinges recently. It worked very well.

I also have a vintage sargent block plane that is make 2.5" long? About half the size of a normal block plane, and it is great for knocking of edges of small projects.

Frederick Skelly
02-02-2021, 6:26 PM

I find myself using this veritas pocket square a lot. It is very nice for edge work, especially on 3/4" stock. A lot less bulky and easier to handle. Do let it sit out on the bench when making plane shavings though. Ask me how i know......

Thanks for the ideas on tools and the leads on the knife everyone!

Jason, I got one of the Veritas pocket squares for Christmas, but havent used it yet. Sounds like it was a good thing to receive!

Fred