PDA

View Full Version : A-1 plywood “good” face question

John Sayen
01-31-2021, 9:48 AM
Hello

Recently picked up some Columbia MPX VC RC Birch A-1 and my understanding of A-1 is that the A face should be very good and the 1 (back side) should be about equivalent to a C face.

My question (I feel foolish asking) is how do you tell which side is the “good” side? When I look at them (pics included) they both look great.

Paul F Franklin
01-31-2021, 10:05 AM
No need to feel foolish...A1 is usually pretty good on both sides. Sometimes there will be small blemishes on the inferior side, or sometimes the color match isn't good, or sometimes the grain pattern match isn't as good. With Birch it's often really hard to tell. Just use whichever side has grain that you like or that fits your project pieces.

Bruce King
01-31-2021, 10:07 AM
The side without the glue lines is the best side for most people but sometimes you might want the glue up look if there are no footballs or dings in it.

Jim Matthews
01-31-2021, 11:18 AM
That's pretty clean.

I can scarcely find plywood, locally.

Jim Becker
01-31-2021, 11:20 AM
Carefully look at how the veneers are laid up. It can sometimes be hard to tell which is the best face on a really good sheet for sure!

Ryan Yeaglin
01-31-2021, 2:54 PM
I would say the picture on the left would be the side I'd call the inside, as the match up is pretty choppy (pronounced glue lines).

roger wiegand
01-31-2021, 7:29 PM
I figure if I can't tell (and it looks good) I've found my plywood supplier.