PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Bowl

Dick Parr
01-05-2006, 6:00 PM
I have had this box elder since last Oct sitting under my workbench and finally got to it. It had some cracks in it but I didn't think they went that deep. But after putting the blank onto a faceplate I found the cracks were deep. Also the piece is from a crotch so the bottom did not completely clean up and left some valleys.

At first with all the cracks and stuff I thought I would just pitch it, but thought maybe this would be a good piece to play with. So I got out the dremel and the wood-burner and started playing.

Sanded and polished the valleys after using the new vacuum chuck (after Jim and Travis reminded me I had one) which helped me clean 2-1/2 inch's off the bottom before I was afraid it would split in two.The one crack was pretty bad and I had to grind allot away to clean it up. The rest I just burned them in.

I'm not sure if I like it or not.:confused: My wife and the neighbors say they like it. So any and all comments are welcome.

It is 14" x 4" and is beall buffed.

Michael Stafford
01-05-2006, 6:25 PM
Dick, it looks like you made the best of a bad situation and had some fun at the same time. I think you did a good job of salvaging the bowl. Woodworking and woodturning sometimes are more about correcting the mistakes and hiding the defects than about the tools and methods. Now it is art!!!!! :D

Jim Ketron
01-05-2006, 7:15 PM
Looks like you turned lemons into lemonade to me!
Nice job Dick!

Robert Mickley
01-05-2006, 7:25 PM
Cracks or no cracks its a fine looking bowl, I personaly think that was a great way to deal with it. theres some stuff around the house, mine and the cousins, that I would have tossed if the wife or her cousins wife hadn't got a hold of them.

If it won't hold soup its like Michael said, its ART.

Travis Stinson
01-05-2006, 7:39 PM
Very nice save Dick! Quite a change from the before pic I saw.;) :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
01-05-2006, 9:53 PM
I like what you did with the burning. Nice bowl Dick.

You are a brave man.:eek:

Ernie

Mark Cothren
01-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Good one, Dick! Nice creativity...

Jerry Clark
01-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Good save Dick, nice bowl!:)

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Way to go Dick. Nice save on a nice looking bowl.

John Hart
01-06-2006, 6:49 AM
I think it looks pretty cool Dick. Most of the wood I turn has one defect or another....And usually some cracks here and there. I never like them but everyone else seems to think they add character. This idea of burning really goes a long way and you've done well with it. Now, if I can just find my woodburner....:rolleyes:

Keith Burns
01-06-2006, 8:00 AM
Great job Dick. Inovative way to turn a piece into something that may have otherwise been undesirable. I like it.:)

Dick Parr
01-06-2006, 9:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. This piece is growing on me and I am glad I didn't throw it away. Since I have so much wood sitting around, I am sure I will get the chance to try it again.:D

Thanks again:)