PDA

View Full Version : An invitation to my friends.....

Michael Stafford
01-05-2006, 5:51 PM
I have been hesitant to post this thread but I feel obligated to support the folks who were so kind to make me an offer I cannot refuse.

The owners of American Sycamore Woodworking Retreat, Dana and Mike Van Pelt contacted me and asked me if I was interested in teaching a woodturning course on turning boxes. They asked me to send them a course proposal and outline which I did. After they reviewed the proposal they offered me the opportunity to teach a week long course at their school in Cloverdale, Indiana which is just 40 miles west of Indianapolis.

My course is designed to take a turner with beginner to intermediate experience and in a week turn several flat grained ring boxes and one simple end grain box. Techniques will include inlaying a cabochon in the lid, making a lidded bowl with a finial handle, and turning both an infitting and overfitting end grain box.

I promise it will be a fun week. My course is September 18-22, 2006. You are all invited to sign up. I would be flattered to have any of my SawMill Creek friends attend the class.

For more information: http://www.americansycamoreretreat.com/

Of course you can contact me for more details through PM's here at the Creek.

Dick Parr
01-05-2006, 6:05 PM
Congratulation Big Mike, I have seen you in action and can say I wish I could go take that class. There will be a wealth of knowledge that will come out that one week, as I saw allot in just a couple of hours while you were teaching Joe. Have fun, but then you always do.:D

Keith Burns
01-05-2006, 6:48 PM
Turner, writer, teacher, what's next ?:D That is so cool:) :) :)

Ken Garlock
01-05-2006, 7:19 PM
Congratulations on the request to share you knowledge.:)

I just called up their website, and guess what SMC member has HER picture right there on the home page.

Men, we can't compete, it pays to be pretty and talented.;)

Jim Ketron
01-05-2006, 7:22 PM
Wish I could go to a MR Box Master class. Congrats Bud!
Have fun!

Michael Stafford
01-05-2006, 7:22 PM
Thanks for noticing, I have never thought of myself as pretty.....:p :p :p :D

Travis Stinson
01-05-2006, 7:51 PM
Way to go Mike! Sure wish I could make it, sounds like a fun time in the making.:D

Robert Mickley
01-05-2006, 8:16 PM
Way to go Mike!!! :cool:

Spence DePauw
01-05-2006, 8:28 PM
I might just be there, Mike. American Sycamore is one of my "hangouts" :D

Spence

Ernie Nyvall
01-05-2006, 9:59 PM
Congratulations Mike. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for anyone who can make it. Wish I could. Maybe you could go on tour down here in the south.

Ernie

Carole Valentine
01-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Congats Mike! I have heard wonderful things about AS. Sure wish I could go on a week long turning retreat.

John Hart
01-05-2006, 10:22 PM
I just might hafta do it. It's only a half day drive for me. Hmmm. Gonna check my schedule. Congratulations Mike!!!!:) :)

Corey Hallagan
01-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Congrats Mike. That is quite an honor I would think. I think I would pay just to watch you! Flat work, even more so! definitely :)

Corey

Jim Becker
01-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Congrats, Mike! That's a great honor! AS is a top-notch outfit.

Mark Cothren
01-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Congrats Big Mike! Outstanding!

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Congrats Mike. What an honor. Wish I could make it.

Andy Hoyt
01-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Very Cool! Must feel good inside.

Michael Stafford
01-06-2006, 6:07 AM
I very thoughtlessly failed to mention that Shelley Bolster who is friends with the Van Pelts made the introduction of my name to the school and thus was instrumental in this wonderful opportunity happening for me. Shelley, thank you once again for the introduction. I am most appreciative.

Dana Van Pelt
01-06-2006, 8:47 AM
Hey Big Mike:

We are honored that you have agreed to become a facilty member here at American Sycamore. We are very anxious to meet you and for you to share your wonderful talents with our students.

We are making a lot of changes here at the school. We are building a seperate lathe & turning room. My good friend Betty Scarpino has given me some great advice on the layout of the lathe room. We have added new lathes, bandsaw, air conditioned the shop, added windows to the outside to allow natural lite into the lathe room, built protective walls between the lathe stations, and added a sharpening station just for the lathe room. We are hoping to expand our turning department into one of the best. I believe with talent such as Big Mike, we are on our way.

Dana and Mike
American Sycamore

Mark Singer
01-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Michael,
Congradulations....if I were a turner, I would be there!

Kurt Aebi
01-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Great to see the dates for your class. If I can swing it, I'll sign up