PDA

View Full Version : Finish nails?

Andrew Wayland
01-30-2021, 10:24 AM
Building some closets today. I’m installing a 3/4” ply ledger on the wall to accept a hanging rod for clothes.

I’ve always been an overkill kind of guy... so I’m tempted to cabinet screw the ledger to the wall (I’ll be able to hit two studs over the 24” span)

Obviously cabinet screws aren’t pretty. Would finish nails be able to handle the load? Finish screws maybe?

Or stick to the cabinet screws since the clothes will hide it anyways?

Jim Dwight
01-30-2021, 10:33 AM
I screw up these. I paint over the screw heads and they blend in OK. It is handy sometimes to put a couple 18 gauge brads in first to hold the board until you screw it but I don't trust it to hold load.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-30-2021, 11:39 AM
I screw up these. I paint over the screw heads and they blend in OK. It is handy sometimes to put a couple 18 gauge brads in first to hold the board until you screw it but I don't trust it to hold load.

Yes, and you can counter sink/plug if you want them completely hidden.

Andrew Wayland
01-30-2021, 12:19 PM
Sounds good fellas. I’ll screw them.

Like I said: I usually go overboard with fastening, but it’s a habit I’m trying to break.

Jim Becker
01-30-2021, 12:51 PM
Screws for me on this application. I might shoot some nails while positioning the ledges using a laser level, but for strength...screws...probably pre-drilled and countersunk, maybe even with plugs, depending on the situation.

Dave Zellers
01-30-2021, 6:05 PM
If we are talking about a closet pole type install where the supports are on parallel walls and the pole is resting in a slot on top, you can totally nail them because the force is straight down. If you are making brackets that stick out to support the pole in the middle of a wall, then absolutely use screws.

My closet poles are all supported by nailed on brackets and support enormous weight. HOWEVER, I hand nailed them with 8d finish nails, not nail gun nails, so there is that.

Andrew Wayland
01-30-2021, 7:12 PM
I ended up using some finish screws for now. Doesn’t look bad. If I see any pull-out, I’ll just replace them with some cabinet screws

Doug Garson
01-30-2021, 7:23 PM
Just be aware, the first sign of "pull out" may be a bang in the middle of the night and all your clothes on the floor, why take the risk, just screw it.