PDA

View Full Version : Solid deal on Grizzly Bandsaw? or too good to be true?

John Strong
01-29-2021, 7:02 PM
I've been looking to upgrade from my small Shopsmith Bandsaw for a while now. Just came across this ad on local Craigslist for a basically new Grizzly G0621x 14 inch bandsaw for $500. I will only be using for wood. The description reads used once. The pricing, and the fact that its for sale after a single use is triggering a whole bunch of red flags in my mind. What are people takes?

Text from Ad:
WOOD BANDSAW FOR SALE
PRACTICALLY BRAND NEW
USED ONE TIME
220 SINGLE PHASE POWER
BLADE WELDER
VARIABLE SPEED

Jim Becker
01-29-2021, 7:50 PM
If it's a real machine that you can touch, yes, that would be a great deal. Do not buy it sight-unseen. See it. Touch it. Buy it.

Mike Kees
01-29-2021, 7:57 PM
Two things. If it was a legit deal, someone else has already loaded it and is hauling it home now. Or it could be a scam. If it was close to me and I wanted a bandsaw I would of had a look with cash in my pocket. Agree with Jim's opinion above.

Peter Kelly
01-29-2021, 9:28 PM
Seems more like a metal cutting saw. I’d have a hard time passing it up without at least looking at it though...

John Strong
01-29-2021, 9:44 PM
We'll see if he responds with an address/ his availability for me to see the saw. No response yet, so its not looking good. Either fake, or someone notices the ad quicker than I did. It was still pretty freshly posted when I reached out.

Jim Matthews
01-29-2021, 9:52 PM
$500?

Shut up and take my money!

Justin Rapp
01-29-2021, 9:57 PM
I've been looking to upgrade from my small Shopsmith Bandsaw for a while now. Just came across this ad on local Craigslist for a basically new Grizzly G0621x 14 inch bandsaw for $500. I will only be using for wood. The description reads used once. The pricing, and the fact that its for sale after a single use is triggering a whole bunch of red flags in my mind. What are people takes?

Text from Ad:
WOOD BANDSAW FOR SALE
PRACTICALLY BRAND NEW
USED ONE TIME
220 SINGLE PHASE POWER
BLADE WELDER
VARIABLE SPEED

That is a confusing saw, but it's am metal saw that can cut wood. It says 3 phase on the motor on the plate in the picture on craigslist but on the Grizzly web site because it says it has an inverter and requires single phase power.

Motor: 1-1/4 HP, 220V, 3-phase, 1725 RPM, 4.8 Amps with single-phase inverter
Required power source: 220V, single-phase, 60Hz

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-13-1-2-1-1-4-hp-3-phase-vertical-wood-metal-bandsaw/g0621x

Ken Fitzgerald
01-29-2021, 10:12 PM
That is a confusing saw, but it's am metal saw that can cut wood. It says 3 phase on the motor on the plate in the picture on craigslist but on the Grizzly web site because it says it has an inverter and requires single phase power.

Motor: 1-1/4 HP, 220V, 3-phase, 1725 RPM, 4.8 Amps with single-phase inverter
Required power source: 220V, single-phase, 60Hz

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-13-1-2-1-1-4-hp-3-phase-vertical-wood-metal-bandsaw/g0621x

Justin, that's not unusual. My PM3520B lathe has a 3phase motor with an inverter and uses 220/240 singe phase input.

John,

As others have said, it is a good value IF you can see it work, touch it, and get a bill of sale.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-30-2021, 11:42 AM
There was a very similar listing on my local craigslist a while back. I could never get a response back, and the add stayed up for a long time. Assuming it was a scam.

Alex Zeller
01-30-2021, 12:48 PM
That's a wood and metal combination saw. It could be a real add if the owner just wants to get rid of it because it wasn't what they wanted. I can see a second Grizzly saw in the picture so they clearly aren't against Grizzly tools. I would think that it's a much better metal saw than wood as it looks to me only 1 1/4 HP. As for the 3 phase, that's just the way Grizzly lists their single phase tools with inverters to drive 3 phase motors. Since it has an inverter you can't easily swap out the motor for a larger one. If it's real someone may buy it just because it's cheap but I would think about whether or not it would fit into your shop.

What sets off alarm bells more than the price for me is when it says "blade welder". I know Grizzly does sell metal cutting bandsaws with a built in welder but I don't see it on that saw. That makes me question the person who posted it. Do they know the saw or is it a scam.