PDA

View Full Version : Does my router need new bearings?

Steve Wurster
01-29-2021, 4:23 PM
I've got an ~10 year old Milwaukee 5625-20 router that's been in my router table since the day I got it. When using it a few times recently it was making a squealing / squeaking sound that definitely doesn't sound good. It's also very difficult to turn the shaft manually; it more or less sticks. Contrast that to my even older Bosch 1617 that turns smooth as silk.

Is this an indication that the bearings in the router are basically shot? I found some (rough) instructions online for replacing them myself, but it looks like more effort and complexity than I want to get into. Therefore this seems to be a job for a Milwaukee service center, but I want some level of confidence that this is something they can fix rather than a completely broken router.

Thanks!

Jamie Buxton
01-29-2021, 6:34 PM
It sure sounds to me like a bad bearing.

The service center should be able to give you a price estimate for bearing replacement before you go be them the job. You may find that a brand new router is cost-competitive.

Alex Zeller
01-30-2021, 1:16 PM
I had to replace the bearing on my Bosch router after doing a job with PVC panels. Being in a router table the dust would end up on the bearing and being pvc it would melt when the bearing got hot. It wasn't a fun job because so much had to come apart. What I found while doing it is that a lot of dust (both wood and pvc) had gotten into the router. I think I spent as much time cleaning it out as I did actually replacing the bearing. I think it took me a couple hours so I would expect it to cost at least $100 to have a service center replace one. It may make more sense to see if you can sell it for $50 and just buy a new one depending on how much a new one costs.

johnny means
01-30-2021, 4:30 PM
I had a couple of 5625s that did the same thing. From what I learned, bearing failure is common in this particular model. They both worked for months with that horrible squeal, but eventually siezed up.

Steve Lindsey
01-30-2021, 8:47 PM
I had the same problem with a 5625 in a router table. I changed the bearing myself. It was a few years ago but I don’t remember it being too hard. It’s been working great since.

Bill Dufour
01-31-2021, 9:24 AM
I have black and decker router that the the top bearing started to howl. Took it apart and found it a sleeve bearing, the more expensive version is double a ball bearing. I oiled it and still use it. I drilled a small hole in the cast aluminum top and put in a brass screw. Now every few years I add a drop of oil. There was no factory way to add oil other them disassembly.
Bill D

Bill Dufour
01-31-2021, 9:33 AM
I assume the bad bearing is the one at the nose. Easy enough to remove the brushes then take it apart. Replacement bearings need to be speed rated. This may dictate shielded or felt seals and not sealed bearings. Buy a bearing splitter, used, from the bay . OTC is a top brand. All you really need is the splitter everything else can be cobbled up from all thread and some nuts and bolts with scrap iron.
For home use the horrible fright is good enough.
Bill D.

A 2" bearing splitter will do most everything need in the shop. Actually a 1" splitter would be find but you are unlikey to find one.

https://www.otctools.com/products/5-ton-bar-type-pullerbearing-separator-tool-set

Ron Selzer
01-31-2021, 11:34 AM
A 2" bearing splitter will do most everything need in the shop. Actually a 1" splitter would be find but you are unlikey to find one.

https://www.otctools.com/products/5-ton-bar-type-pullerbearing-separator-tool-set

Use this OTC set at work replacing bearings in motors, works great. Sometimes not big enough when working on 15hp and bigger motors.
Ron

Will Blick
02-01-2021, 12:03 AM
Anyone perform this task yet?
I am next in line ;)
Has anyone found out the cost to send back to Milwaukee and have the bearings replaced?

glenn bradley
02-01-2021, 12:32 AM
First I will mention that one of my 5625's has spent every day in the router table since ~2007. I have always had dust collection and the thing just runs and runs. That being said I was amazed how easy it was to replace the bearings in one of my Bosch routers. Let me see if I posted a thread here . . . Ah, here (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?282820-Replaced-Bearings-in-a-Bosch-Colt&highlight=) it is. Here is a how-to (http://pacosarea.blogspot.com/2007/03/milwaukee-router-5625-bearing.html) on the 5625. I am not the person who would ordinarily dive into something like this. Enough folks out there claimed it was pretty easy and pretty safe (as far as doing more damage than good) so I tried it. As I said, I was surprised at how basic the actual process was. I used a socket and a parallel clamp in place of the press that is shown in some how-to's. The amount of force required for the interference fit is more than one might be able to do with bare hands but, a simple mechanical advantage works. A press would be nice to have but, hardly a requirement in my case.

Steve Wurster
02-01-2021, 6:38 AM
Anyone perform this task yet?
I am next in line ;)
Has anyone found out the cost to send back to Milwaukee and have the bearings replaced?

I'm very wary of trying to do the work myself, and the link that Glenn posted (which I had read previously) doesn't increase my confidence any.

I submitted a repair order via Milwaukee's online system yesterday and all it got me was a FedEx shipping label and a set of shipping instructions. There was no mention of cost estimates or limits anywhere, so I emailed them separately to ask that question. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.

Steve Wurster
02-01-2021, 8:53 AM
I submitted a repair order via Milwaukee's online system yesterday and all it got me was a FedEx shipping label and a set of shipping instructions. There was no mention of cost estimates or limits anywhere, so I emailed them separately to ask that question. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.

The folks at Milwaukee's repair center emailed me saying that they can't give me a repair estimate until they evaluate the tool for warranty. I replied back noting that the tool is 10 years old and therefore out of warranty. They haven't replied back yet. If I don't hear from them in a few days I'm just going to ship this out to them and see how it goes from there.

Will Blick
02-01-2021, 10:36 AM
Steve, thx for sharing, keep us posted..
Glen, that is impressive...
mine is making a slight noise, maybe its not the bearings though...
I was trying to get ahead of it...
While researching this, I learned there is some great high speed bearings that far exceed the makers bearings...
but could not find exact model numbers as a replacement for the 5625 bearings.
considering how long the Milw bearings do last, its prob. the best, headache free, option...

Steve Wurster
02-14-2021, 11:09 AM
Update for those that were following this thread:

I shipped the router (motor only) to Milwaukee back on February 3rd. I got email updates from them when it was received, and then when it was "In Repair". There was no message to me about a cost estimate, what the actual problem might be, etc. Just that it was "In Repair". Then on February 11th I got an email that it was being shipped back to me. Again, no mention of what, if anything, was done to the router.

Well, the box arrived yesterday and inside was the router and a repair order / packing slip. The repair order says,

"Our factory trained technician has completed your warranty evaluation. The warranty items have been replaced at no charge to you. Specific items were identified as non-warranty items, however we are replacing them under a one time goodwill."

That's right, they repaired this for me for free. Under the "Resolution" section it just says "Goodwill". They even sent the router back with a 1/2" collet on it, even though I sent it to them without that (I kept that at home). The order summary shows the unit cost for the collet and nut, and for shop supplies / disposal, and also another line item for what might be repair or evaluation costs but I'm not sure. But for all of them the "actual" cost is listed as zero dollars. There's no word on *what* they did though, so I can only assume they replaced the bearings.

Anyway, very nice of Milwaukee to repair my 10-year-old router for free! Of course I haven't fired up the router yet since there's a few things piled up on my router table, so let's hope it works!

The only (so far known) problem is that their return packaging left much to be desired. The router was in a decently large box with just those air bags for protection, so nothing prevented it from getting banged around during shipping. As a result, the height adjustment mechanism is damaged as shown, and it's no longer usable. That's okay though, since I only ever keep this router in a lift and don't use that adjustment option.

Hopefully this thing works fine once I get it back in the table. It would be amazing if this lasted another 10 years before the bearings need replacement again.

Alex Zeller
02-14-2021, 6:46 PM
Nice. I've had a cordless drill repaired under warranty with no questions asked. The trigger occasionally stopped working. It looks like they just removed the aluminum stickers (with the S/N) from the bad one and put them on the new one.