PDA

View Full Version : Pepper Mill

Dick Parr
01-05-2006, 5:45 PM
I finally turned a Pepper Mill this week (the new crush grind) and man, what a pain with the different hole sizes and cutting tabs off the grinder and epoxying it in place.

Finding a decent set of plans was also a problem that Jim helped me with, thanks Jim. I have also now started a nice collection of forstner bits the run in the 1/16" size.:rolleyes:

It is made from Cherry buffed and polished with Renaissance wax. After letting the epoxy dry all night, yesterday we got some peppercorn and filled it up to give it a try. Well let me tell ya, I am sure glad I didn't give any of these out as presents.:o:eek: Before I could make the first turn, the whole grinder and shaft fell out the bottom of the mill.:mad: I followed the instructions and put plenty of epoxy without getting any in the moving parts. The sizes of holes that are called out are just to big.

Still stepping on peppercorns because needless to say, when the bottom fell out, so did the peppercorn.:eek: :( All over the place......*&^(*&%(^

So last night I cleaned up the inside and re-epoxied the grinder in and I can tell ya, it's not coming out now.:D It now works fine.

Robert Mickley
01-05-2006, 6:08 PM
Looks good Dick, now whats this crush grind your speaking of?

As for it falling apart, duct tape man!! lots of it. don't you know if it moves and shouldn't use duct tape, if it doesn't move and should use WD-40

Bill Stevener
01-05-2006, 6:29 PM
Dick, your mill looks great.

Quite an experience you had. I don't know who is saying to cut off the locking tabs, that is the first mistake. They are on there for a reason, obvisouly. To make the back cut for the tabs is not all that hard. I use a grout removal tool, found at Wally World for about $1.95, works great.

I posted a good set of plans in another post, I know you can find it.

Check the thread by Chris, I just noted a page, where one can obtain a grove cutting tool. They are real easy to make, or like I said the one I use is really good. One can also find a good set of plans on this link.

Really hate to hear you had a misfortune. I believe it's the best mill on the market, when its installed correctly. No epoxy required.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Dick Parr
01-05-2006, 6:38 PM
Thanks Bill, I did like the challenge of making it but following the plans that came with it was impossible for never making one before. I think I looked at 3 different plans and all of them said to remove the tabs on the grinder, but not on the top piece that goes in the lid. Two of the plans noted that they we designed for mm size hole and so standard hole sizes will be to big and that is why they suggested to epoxy the grinder and top piece in.

This was a real learning experience and those mistakes will not be made again.:)

Thanks again Bill and I will follow up on what you said to look at.;)

Bill Stevener
01-05-2006, 6:59 PM
Dick, if you have any questions, at any time, about the installation of the CrushGrind just ask.
I really hate to see the suppliers presenting information and instructions for the mill installation, that does not support its quality.

In the previous post I noted, it was recommended to use the MM bits in cretin areas, for the best results.

I know you will lick this thing, and I truly hope others don't have the same experience. I don't have a nickle in the co. however, will always maintain, its the best mill on the market.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Jim Ketron
01-05-2006, 7:08 PM
Nice mill Dick, one of these is on my to do list!

Michael Stafford
01-05-2006, 7:26 PM
That is too bad, Dick, cause it looks great. I am sorry it did not stay together. Now about the peppercorns on the floor, they make brooms and vacuums to handle that problem......:p :D

Randy Meijer
01-05-2006, 7:45 PM
Dick:

How about posting some specifics so that others don't have the same problem? I have a CrushGrind kit in my box, right now, waiting to find the time to make it up. It came ftrom CSUSA and calls for 4 different sized holes. The critical holes...the ones that holds the grind mechanism...are called to be 15/16" and 1-9/16". The kit does call the tabs to be cut off; but not the ribs.

I noticed that the same(?) kit from PSI called for 7/8" and 1-1/2" bits, respectively....1/16" less than what the CSUSA instructions called for; but I think the PSI instructions call for trimming the ribs as well as the tabs. I wrote CSUSA to ask them about the difference and received the following response:

"... Hi Randy,
I've been looking into this and I've got some information that I
think you'll find helpful. First off, the reason that our drill
sizes are different than PSI's is because they advise cutting off the
'ribs' on the mechanism. If you remove the ribs, you lose a little
bit of diameter, so their recommended sizes are 1/16" smaller than
ours. I've actually made one of these Crush Grinds and the parts fit
pretty well. I don't see any reason to remove the ribs on the top
piece especially, since it fits in with no glue and holds great. So
that explains the difference in sizes.
Also, when we first sampled these kits, we received the
manufacturer's instructions. The sizes we list in our instructions
are exactly the same as the sizes they recommend - so we're in line
with the manufacturer.
Based on that information, I'd say you should go ahead and make
your peppermills without worrying if the wood is drilled to the best
size. If you do have any questions on the process, just let us know
and we'll do our best to help. Thanks a lot, Randy.
Sincerely,
Nils Rasmusson
Marketing Manager
Craft Supplies USA
www.woodturnerscatalog.com (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/) ..."

Guess I will have to drill some test holes before making up this kit just to be sure I get it right??

P.S.

I took some measurements and made a few conversionbs of dimensions to see how things would work out with standard metric drill bits. Here are those results:

PEPPER MILL BIT SIZES
DESC........PSI .......METRIC.....CSUSA.....METRIC... CRUSHMECH
Top...........7/8.........22.2.............15/16.........23.8............21.7 mm
Body.........1-1/16....27................1-1/16.........27...............none
Grinder....1-1/2.....38.1..............1-9/16.......39.7.............38.1 mm
Base...........1-3/4.....44.5............1-3/4.........44.5.............none

Dick Parr
01-05-2006, 8:08 PM
Randy it was the CSUSA instructions that I used. In the future I will not cut the tabs off and I am sure that will help hold the grinder in place.

I did go and get the 15/16" and the 1-9/16" bits and used a 1" at the top of the base and turned it out to 1-1/16" and I had the 1-3/4" already.

The only changes will be to leave the 1" at the top, 1" and I will not cut off the tabs as Bill mentions. The 1" will I think allow the top to fit a little better the with the extra 1/16" in size.

The rest is straight forward.

Good luck.

Randy Meijer
01-05-2006, 8:37 PM
Dick: Take another peek at my chart. It looks to me like the
1-9/16" bit is just too big. The 1-1/2" bit is going to be snug; but a little sandpaper should take care of that. I'm still going to bore some test holes; but it is easier to open up a tight hole than it is to close down an oversized hole??

Bill Stevener
01-05-2006, 9:26 PM
Just to to try and give some help.

First, the ribs on the CrushGrind mechanism components are there to prevent the same from turning. The locking tabs are there to prevent the components from ever coming out. If the drilling is performed properly the mechanism is imposable to remove once in place.

The holes should not be drilled as to allow the components to just slide in.
A tight press fit, which can be achieved with aid of the ram on your tail stock, is required to achieve the best results. What I am trying to express, is a tight press fit.

Every one suggests a different drill size. Measure the components, select the best drill size that will give you a press fit. I have noted this in the past, and will say it again, metric drills are required in some areas, other areas are of your selection. If we give it a little thought, the CrushGrind is maid in Denmark.

I cant say I know everything about pepper mills, only maid and sold over 24 with the CrushGrind and they all work very well.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Keith Burns
01-05-2006, 9:30 PM
Dick, that is a great looking mill. I like the form and it's subtle flow.:)

Corey Hallagan
01-05-2006, 9:31 PM
Very nice Dick. that is something I want to be able to make as well eventually.

Corey

Randy Meijer
01-05-2006, 9:55 PM
Just to to try and give some help.... If the drilling is performed properly....The holes should not be drilled as to allow the components to just slide in. A tight press fit...is required to achieve the best results. Every one suggests a different drill size. Measure the components, select the best drill size that will give you a press fit.....

Come on, Bill. I'm sure the CG mechanism is a standard size and manufacturing tolerances are, no doubt, very tight. There has to be a right size for that hole.....what size hole do you drill??

Ernie Nyvall
01-05-2006, 10:22 PM
That's a nice one Dick.

Ernie

John Hart
01-06-2006, 6:44 AM
Nice looking Mill Dick. I just have to try one of these. I hope you get your technical stuff worked out. Sounds like the school of hard knocks is open for business!:) :)

Dick Parr
01-06-2006, 9:45 PM
Thanks everyone. As I told Bill, I guess I made the process sound worse then what it was. It was a challenge but not really that bad. I was smart enough to drill some practice holes first with the bits I had on hand and decided that I needed to get different size bits. The instructions did say to cut the tabs off but as I was cutting them a little voice said don't do it. I wish I had listened to that little voice again.:(

It was just upsetting that the bottom didn't fall out UNTIL I had it filled with peppercorn.:mad:

But I will be getting more of these and making more and different sizes.

Thanks again.:)

ROBERT SCHUMAN
01-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks everyone. As I told Bill, I guess I made the process sound worse then what it was. It was a challenge but not really that bad. I was smart enough to drill some practice holes first with the bits I had on hand and decided that I needed to get different size bits. The instructions did say to cut the tabs off but as I was cutting them a little voice said don't do it. I wish I had listened to that little voice again.:(

It was just upsetting that the bottom didn't fall out UNTIL I had it filled with peppercorn.:mad:

But I will be getting more of these and making more and different sizes.

Thanks again.:)

Well Dick if you would have listened to that little voice it wouldnt have been as nearly a good story ! You did a great job !nice shape and great finish!