PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite place to buy band saw blades?

roger wiegand
01-29-2021, 2:47 PM
I'm about to acquire a new band saw, it takes a blade length (4258 mm, 167=1/2") that seems to be not so commonly found off-the-shelf. Do you have a favorite place that offers reasonable prices and consistently good welds?

Probably looking for Lenox Diemaster and perhaps a Trimaster carbide blade, because I've had good luck with them. I'm open to other possibilities.

Mike Burke
01-29-2021, 3:21 PM
I don't buy very many but have had good luck and good service from Timberwolf bandsaw blades.

Tom M King
01-29-2021, 3:52 PM
Bandsawbladesdirect.com Never got a bad blade from them.

Andrew Hughes
01-29-2021, 3:55 PM
My favorite place to buy bandsaw blades is from the place that sharpens my tablesaw blades. They will make one up while I wait this give me the opportunity to mention how important a good weld is to me.
Theres never any hard feelings when I inspect the weld before I buy it.
Bandsaw blades direct is one of the line suppliers I get good blades with good welds.
Good Luck

Bruce Wrenn
01-29-2021, 4:07 PM
Woodcraftbands, now owned by Union Grove Saw. John recently retired and sold his business to Union Grove Saw, also a family owned business here in NC.

Mike Kees
01-29-2021, 8:01 PM
Bandsaw coil stock on "the bay" ,then silver solder my own blades.

Frederick Skelly
01-29-2021, 8:02 PM
Timberwolf here.

Brian Tymchak
01-29-2021, 10:49 PM
I got 3 Diemaster 2 blades from Blade Serpent (https://bladeserpent.com/?utm_term=blade%20serpent&utm_campaign=Blade+Serpent&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=5976709552&hsa_cam=1686579976&hsa_grp=61231758850&hsa_ad=459290015481&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=kwd-622073826412&hsa_kw=blade%20serpent&hsa_mt=e&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=CjwKCAiAgc-ABhA7EiwAjev-j-GyJ2L904x_Nj3o71MtRQnmqc8g5SBtPU7N6eWsNTT5mMB9RlEa-RoCs-QQAvD_BwE) several months ago. The welds were nearly perfect. Took me a while to find them. Delivery was very prompt. My only complaint was that one blade had some rust patches but that turned out to be a non issue.

Dennis Yamamoto
01-30-2021, 2:34 AM
I like Industrial Blade and Products, Santa Ana, CA for Lenox. Excellent prices, service and a nice weld.

Dennis

Tom DiBiasio
01-30-2021, 6:36 AM
I have had great results as well as great service from spectrum supply. The shipping cost at order entry is usually higher than the actual charge. The 3/4” kerfmaster blade is really a nice blade for the money - especially if you buy several to spread the shipping cost. Do a simple comparison of the cost between say a wood slicer and the spectrum Kerfmaster and you will see what I mean. As for the customer service side- I made a mistake when ordering a few of these blade and asked them to add a fractional 3/8” when I meant 1/8”. I could not get the blades with the extra 3/8” to tension and to my surprise they took them back in exchange for the right size!! Of course I paid return shipping and new shipping charge for sending the right ones out I was pleasantly surprised they took them back in exchange!

Jim Becker
01-30-2021, 9:50 AM
I got 3 Diemaster 2 blades from Blade Serpent (https://bladeserpent.com/?utm_term=blade%20serpent&utm_campaign=Blade+Serpent&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=5976709552&hsa_cam=1686579976&hsa_grp=61231758850&hsa_ad=459290015481&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=kwd-622073826412&hsa_kw=blade%20serpent&hsa_mt=e&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=CjwKCAiAgc-ABhA7EiwAjev-j-GyJ2L904x_Nj3o71MtRQnmqc8g5SBtPU7N6eWsNTT5mMB9RlEa-RoCs-QQAvD_BwE) several months ago. The welds were nearly perfect. Took me a while to find them. Delivery was very prompt. My only complaint was that one blade had some rust patches but that turned out to be a non issue.

How are these performing for you compared to typical silicon steel, etc., particularly for sharpness? I'm seriously considering trying the Dimaster when I order bands next.

Bruce Wrenn
01-30-2021, 11:42 AM
Jim, I run Diemaster II blades on my saw. Cut out Toys for Tot's Car bodies from 2 x 4's for local woodworking group. Cut between a thousand and fifteen hundred each year. Everything is a curved cut. Cuts are approximately nine inches long. After only thirteen years, blade broke (not at weld.) Means I got over ten thousand linear feet of cut from one blade. Not bad, IMHO. Bought another Diemaster from Woodcraft Bands to replace it

Alex Zeller
01-30-2021, 12:33 PM
I think I bought my Lenox blades from Bandsawbladesdirect as well. Before that I was buying from Highland but I upgrades from a 14" cast iron saw to a 19" and wanted a 1" blade for resawing (yet wasn't ready to commit to a carbide toothed blade yet since the saw was new). While ordering that blade I thought I would buy a blade for cutting bowl blanks. So I added a Diemaster 2 (1/2"x .035" 3 tpi) to the cart. That blade has been my "go to" blade for years now. Well over 1000 bf and I haven't done a thing to it. That includes bowl blanks. I try to wash off the dirt but it's hard to get it all out of the bark. Every time I use it I remind myself I should order a spare and also a 3/8" 6 tpi for cutting thinner material. I think the kerf is a little wide so if your saw is kind of low HP wise it could cause issues in thicker materials. The wide keft means it's not the smoothest of cuts so I wouldn't do stuff that I wanted as little waste as possible/ least amount of sanding.

Jim Becker
01-30-2021, 12:33 PM
"Only" thirteen years? Sheesh... LOL

I may pick up a couple for sure. I don't do a lot of band saw work but still hate bands that start to dull noticeably with my light use.

Brian Tymchak
01-30-2021, 3:40 PM
How are these performing for you compared to typical silicon steel, etc., particularly for sharpness? I'm seriously considering trying the Dimaster when I order bands next.

I can tell very little difference between the Diemaster and the Timber Wolf I was using before. The small amount of resawing I've done with them has given me similar results. But the blades I bought were not the best tooth configuration for resawing. Disclaimer: I am not a highly experienced user at the bandsaw so I'm not sure my opinion is all that valuable.

I switched when a TW broke after very little usage. Was not dissatisfied with how the TW cut and the break may have been a one off failure, but I decided to use the opportunity to try a supposedly better blade. Hopefully I get good life from the Diemasters.

Mark Rainey
01-30-2021, 4:43 PM
I usually order from Bandsawbladesdirect.com but just tried Spectrum. The prices looked better & I decided to try them out and ordered 3 blades for a total of $35 dollars. I was surprised shipping was $16 and tax 3.10. I then got my order and somehow I got 4 blades with a charge of $47 and shipping of $22 plus tax so my order was $73.75. I called them & showed them my original order. Someone promptly returned my call but the man seemed uncertain and asked if I wanted to return the extra blade. At that point I thought it just wasn't work the hassle and said let it go. As indicated in an earlier post, shipping seems on the high side.

David Powell
01-30-2021, 9:14 PM
I, too, have purchased from Bandsawbladesdirect before for the Diemaster 2 blades I use. Most recently I purchased from Hastings Saw in San Rafael CA; great customer service.

Bruce Wrenn
01-30-2021, 9:36 PM
"Only" thirteen years? Sheesh... LOL

I may pick up a couple for sure. I don't do a lot of band saw work but still hate bands that start to dull noticeably with my light use.

Then don't buy Swedish Steel bands. Sharp out of the box, and then it's down hill

John K Jordan
01-30-2021, 9:54 PM
I'm about to acquire a new band saw, it takes a blade length (4258 mm, 167=1/2") that seems to be not so commonly found off-the-shelf. Do you have a favorite place that offers reasonable prices and consistently good welds?

Probably looking for Lenox Diemaster and perhaps a Trimaster carbide blade, because I've had good luck with them. I'm open to other possibilities.

The local Lenox shop I mentioned will make blades to any size. They will make them to the length you request or measure a blade you bring. If not too busy the guy in the shop I use will make them while I wait. The Lenox web site has a list of their shops. The one I use is part of a large industrial gas and welding supply company.

The guy's welds are good. He said if one breaks he will fix or replace it. He doesn't carry stock to make the carbide blades - had to order those but the price was less than I could find anywhere.

JKJ

roger wiegand
01-31-2021, 8:17 AM
15 minutes of Google-ing and I can't tell if I have any kind of local source. The Lenox site refers me mainly to plumbing supply places and Lowes when I search for band saw blade dealers, plus Fastenal who will charge me 50% more than what the other sites referenced above charge for the same blade. The one place I suspect might be a source (I've used them for sharpening) has zero web presence, I'll need to call them. I wonder if all local saw blade shops are internet-invisible. I'd be delighted to use someone local.

Carroll Courtney
01-31-2021, 8:19 AM
Bandsawbladesdirect gets my vote, here the reason why. I had order few blades for my PM143 which is metal and I also order a blade for PM 87 which is also for metal. The blades came in so I installed the blade on 143 and use it. I was in process of restoring or rebuilding the 87 but wanted the blade on hand so I could take my new to me saw for a test run. Well the test run come several months later, but there was a problem with the blade. When blades came in I only took out of the pizza box size the blade for 143 I never look at the blade for 87. So when I took out the blade for the 87 it was the same blade that is for the 143 but had a tag on it listing the length of the blade for the 87 which I think is little over 144". So made a call to them with my invoice in hand (which I always keep so I don't have try remember) and they commented on the length of time which really was close to being a yr vs few months. I was not expecting anything due to amount of time but give it a try. Well I be dang, in few days I had my blade for the 87 and they told me to keep my extra blade for the 143. These are the Lenox Diemaster blades, yea I know it was their fault. But they made it right, and by the way I also use the Lenox Lube Tube it really works.
Another note: I have also purchase from Ittura Design but no internet only phone call, but you talk to a person who knows BS blades make suggestions

Carroll Courtney
01-31-2021, 8:24 AM
15 minutes of Google-ing and I can't tell if I have any kind of local source. The Lenox site refers me mainly to plumbing supply places and Lowes when I search for band saw blade dealers, plus Fastenal who will charge me 50% more than what the other sites referenced above charge for the same blade. The one place I suspect might be a source (I've used them for sharpening) has zero web presence, I'll need to call them. I wonder if all local saw blade shops are internet-invisible. I'd be delighted to use someone local.

I think they are referring to Lenox blades for Porta-band saws which plumbers use.

Michael Cuthriell
01-31-2021, 8:39 AM
I use Kerfmaster blades from Spectrum Supply. I originally bought them to try to get away from the high price of Woodslicer. These are 0.022" and cost about half of a Woodslicer. They perform just as well.

Jim Becker
01-31-2021, 9:38 AM
Then don't buy Swedish Steel bands. Sharp out of the box, and then it's down hill

Yes, I've come to this conclusion...and have been working through existing "inventory". There was no point in buying new before I used up those I had already purchased. Dimaster will be getting the nod when I do buy more blades, either the 4tpi or 3tpi half-inch bands. The former has a thinner kerf.

John K Jordan
01-31-2021, 10:12 AM

Roger,

This is the page that lets you search for Lenox bandsaw blade shops in your area. I put in my zip code and it gives a list - those with the label "Lenox Certified Weld Center" can make blades. At the bottom of the page I see that some listed as "On Site Welding" may also be useful but I don't know what they are not "Certified."

https://www.lenoxtools.com/FindRetailer/FindDistributor.aspx

When I type in the zip code 01779 I get this:

I see most of the dealers are Fastenal which in my experience don't always have the best prices. There are some others further down in the list. The guy at the place I use seems to go out of his way to help me with the blades and the price. Maybe it's because I'm a repeat customer and usually buy a quantity.

Note that parts of their web site are REAL SLOW right now and I got an error at some point when looking for this page. Maybe it's temporary.

JKJ

Bruce Wrenn
02-01-2021, 9:05 PM
I use Kerfmaster blades from Spectrum Supply. I originally bought them to try to get away from the high price of Woodslicer. These are 0.022" and cost about half of a Woodslicer. They perform just as well.

Aren't they the same blade?

John K Jordan
02-01-2021, 9:30 PM
Aren't they the same blade?

Wow, and half the price for my bandsaw!

roger wiegand
02-02-2021, 8:38 AM
Thanks John for the link, I didn't initially find the way to limit the search you pointed out. I ordered a couple blades from bandsawbladesdirect yesterday to get started.

I won't have the new saw until Saturday, so I should have a couple of choices shortly after it arrives. It currently has a huge carbide resaw blade on it that the current owner says is near the end of its lifetime. Got a new 30A circuit installed and rearranged the shop and DC connections to be ready. Now it just needs to stop snowing for a while!

John K Jordan
02-02-2021, 11:38 AM
Thanks John for the link, I didn't initially find the way to limit the search you pointed out. I ordered a couple blades from bandsawbladesdirect yesterday to get started.

I won't have the new saw until Saturday, so I should have a couple of choices shortly after it arrives. It currently has a huge carbide resaw blade on it that the current owner says is near the end of its lifetime. Got a new 30A circuit installed and rearranged the shop and DC connections to be ready. Now it just needs to stop snowing for a while!

I've heard that carbide bandsaw blades can be sharpened but I haven't worn one enough to investigate. I personally would try sharpening myself as I do other blades, but with a diamond disk.

Justin Rapp
02-03-2021, 8:32 AM
I've have blades direct from timberwolf, https://www.timberwolfblades.com/ and in-person shopping at woodcraft stores. I also have a blade Laguna sent me when I bought my bandsaw.

George Waldner
02-03-2021, 7:04 PM
About a year ago I bought 10 105" 'Slicer clones from Superior Knife, in Niles Illinois. Price was $12-13 each plus UPS. They sell it as a meat blade. Dont know if it is the exact same stock as 'Slicer or not, but it is 3-4 variable tooth with the thin kerf. Life is OK for me, but I am a hobbiest. I have used mostly for resawing drawer stock. Welds seem fine to me so far. Got a 14" Grizz so I probably cant tension a 3/4" carbide blade though I have thought about it.

Curt Harms
02-05-2021, 6:03 PM
About a year ago I bought 10 105" 'Slicer clones from Superior Knife, in Niles Illinois. Price was $12-13 each plus UPS. They sell it as a meat blade. Dont know if it is the exact same stock as 'Slicer or not, but it is 3-4 variable tooth with the thin kerf. Life is OK for me, but I am a hobbiest. I have used mostly for resawing drawer stock. Welds seem fine to me so far. Got a 14" Grizz so I probably cant tension a 3/4" carbide blade though I have thought about it.

My understanding is that Woodslicer/Kerfmaster blades are indeed meat and bone blades. They just happen to work well with wood. Kinda the same deal with DieMaster; they're intended for metal but happen to work well with wood. Lenox Tri Master the same deal but serious $$$ relatively speaking.

Curt Harms
02-05-2021, 6:07 PM

Roger there's a company in your part of the world that has gotten good reviews. I haven't ordered from them but may do so in the near future, they have 1/2" .025" thick Trimaster as well as DieMaster2.

Toolcenter.com

Stephen Bandirola
05-11-2022, 1:12 PM
Has anyone ordered from Bandsawbladeoutlet.com ?
They have the best prices I've found.

Edward Weber
05-11-2022, 1:55 PM
I know this is an old thread but I though I'd mention Sawblade.com

https://www.sawblade.com/

Randall J Cox
05-11-2022, 2:16 PM
I've had great service from Bandsawblades Direct! Randy

Wayne Cannon
05-12-2022, 12:56 AM
I get my blades from Hastings Saws. They always have great, smooth, welds from a wide variety of blade manufacturers and types.

www.hastingssaws.com

roger wiegand
05-13-2022, 7:44 AM
I've subsequently ordered from bandsaw blades direct and the product has been excellent. They are not quick, however, so not a great choice if you need something this week. One of the orders I placed took about three weeks, the other over two months; they were apologetic about the latter, I think they lost the order.