PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to clean table saw blades?

Charlie Mastro
01-05-2006, 5:37 PM
Long ago I had some white powder I mixed with water to clean my blades. I got it from the place that sharpened my blades. I've long since lost or used up and I haven't been using my table saw much in the last 10 years.

So I was wondering what you guys use? I was hoping for something less toxic than oven cleaner so lets scrach that one from the list right away.

By the way this is my second post since I became a member. I don't think anyone saw my first.

Thanks,
Charlie

Michael Ballent
01-05-2006, 5:41 PM
Welcome to the Creek, lots of good info here from a bunch of great folks.

For you answer, I have been using Simple Green and a little elbow grease with a brush... Nice and easy an non toxic. :D

scott spencer
01-05-2006, 5:44 PM
I've had good luck with just about everything I've tried so now I tend to use what's on the shelf...most recently 409 and a toothbrush or brass brush.

I've also used Simple Green, Goo Gone, Dawn/water, Boeshield Bladenbit Cleaner, mineral spirits, and Easy Off. Easy Off is the most difficult to use and I've read that it's too abrasive. CharlesM from Freud recommends a kerosene soak.

Don Baer
01-05-2006, 5:44 PM
Hey Charlie, welcome to the creek. Nice looking shop you have.

To answer your question it realy depense what you are trying to clean off of the blades. If It's Sap I generaly just wipe em with mineral spirits

tod evans
01-05-2006, 5:55 PM
charlie welcome. i use lacquer thinner just `cause it`s here

Chris Fite
01-05-2006, 5:58 PM
I use ammonia. Sure, quick, safe, cheap, and easy.

Richard Neel
01-05-2006, 6:06 PM
I have found that oven cleaner works great. Just be sure to use it in a well-ventilated area.

Jim Young
01-05-2006, 6:27 PM
409 for a few minutes and the stuff practically falls off. I bought a round tupperware type container that is big enough for a 10" blade. It has a container of 409 in it which stays there permanently. When the blade is grimed up I just stick it in there for a few minutes to soak. Remove it and hit the extra tuff stuff with a small brass brush. This always does the trick. Then thoroughly dry the blade.

PeterTorresani
01-05-2006, 6:37 PM
You mean they're not disposable? :D

tod evans
01-05-2006, 6:42 PM
You mean they're not disposable? :D

sure they are, send them to me and i`ll recycle them for you :)

CPeter James
01-05-2006, 6:49 PM
I use the CMT orange juice. I have tried other products that were more toxic, but this seems to work good. I work mostly with red oak and white pine (because it is what I have on my property and I cut my own) and so I get a fair amount of build up.

CPeter

scott spencer
01-05-2006, 7:03 PM
409 for a few minutes and the stuff practically falls off. I bought a round tupperware type container that is big enough for a 10" blade. It has a container of 409 in it which stays there permanently. When the blade is grimed up I just stick it in there for a few minutes to soak. Remove it and hit the extra tuff stuff with a small brass brush. This always does the trick. Then thoroughly dry the blade. Hi Jim - I'm glad to hear that someone else has had similar results with the 409. I've only used it once so far and the blade wasn't all that dirty, but it did seem come off really easily. I'll just have to get out there and dirty that blade up so I can try it again! :D

J.R. Rutter
01-05-2006, 7:37 PM
I have a bucket of borax solution - enough so that it is saturated, with some extra crystals in the bottom. 10 - 20 minutes and hit them with a toothbrush.

John Viola
01-06-2006, 9:38 AM
Hi Charlie, I've used oven cleaner and Simple Green. I won't use oven cleaner anymore as I've heard that's bad for the carbide, but Simple Green works great. Spray it on, let it soak a few, and scrub with a toothbrush. No complaints.

BTW, are you the Charlie Mastro who was featured in "The Workshop Book" by Scott Landis?

Kent Cori
01-06-2006, 9:49 AM
The best recipe I've found is Simple Green and beer. Just drop the blade in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and then cover with Simple Green.

Here comes the tricky part. You now must open and drain a beer while watching the Simple Green work. The fumes from the beer activate secret cleaning enzymes in the Simple Green. This is a little known secret so please don't spread it around. You can experiment with different brands of beer to find just the right mix for your personal situation.

After the beer is consumed and any excess gas released by any means possible, pull the blade out of the bucket and scrub with an old tooth brush. Repeat as necessary even if all the gunk comes off the first time. :D

Jim Becker
01-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Kent, can you substitute good red wine for the beer??

Kent Cori
01-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Jim,

Probably but it would likely take longer for the Simple Green to age properly. ;)

Charlie Mastro
01-06-2006, 10:37 AM
BTW, are you the Charlie Mastro who was featured in "The Workshop Book" by Scott Landis?[/QUOTE]

Yes John that would be me....

Charlie

John Viola
01-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Sorry to rat you out. :)

Good luck on your re-entry to the custom world.

Steve Clardy
01-06-2006, 11:49 AM
My saw sharpening shop cleans mine.

lou sansone
01-06-2006, 12:11 PM
can you substitue good coffee for red wine or beer ?

lou

Larry Fox
01-06-2006, 12:38 PM
I use oven cleaner on mine. After done I spray on a good bath of WD-40, wipe off excess and do one cut in a piece of scrap wood involving as much of the blade as possible. Works great for me.

Larry Browning
01-06-2006, 1:00 PM
Another vote for simple green. I have found that the lid from a 5gal bucket works verry well. It is just the right size for a 10" blade and the one I use has a raised ring that the blade sits on which keeps the teeth from touching the bottom of the lid. It doesn't require much simple green to cover the blade. I leave it in that solution about 5-10 at the most. I then take an old tooth brush and gently scrub the teeth. It works great!, no toxic fumes, no gloves, just rinse it, dry it and poar the simple green down the drain. Simple!!!!!

Tom Drake
01-07-2006, 6:41 AM
I use Simple Green and an old tooth brush. It works very well for me.

Dan Forman
01-08-2006, 4:19 AM
By the way this is my second post since I became a member. I don't think anyone saw my first.

Thanks,
Charlie

Charley, welcome to the Creek. I've been meaning to get up your way sometime and explore the country, perhaps will pay you a visit when the weather warms. Hope the new shop works out well for you. You might want to start a new thread to introduce yourself, I'm sure you will get a warm welcome. Sometimes when you tack on to an existing thread you may go unnoticed.

Dan