PDA

View Full Version : My Dream Shop

Tom Bender
01-27-2021, 6:59 PM
I'm pretty much there,,,except that it's in the basement. It's warm in winter and cool in summer but the view isn't so good. A garage shop would not work out because that would displace all the uses I have for my garage. A free standing shop would be great but the heating and cooling 24/7 would seem to abuse the planet. I go into my shop a few times each day but only spend a few hours a day there.

Oh! now I have it, a free standing shop in Hawaii, that's the ticket. May as well dream big.

Thomas Wilson
01-27-2021, 7:15 PM
Hope you make your Hawaii dream come true. I have my dream shop. It is great. I am working 6-8 hours a day every day. Once you have it, it turns out a dream shop is a lot of work.

Paul F Franklin
01-27-2021, 7:51 PM
For what it would cost you to live in Hawaii for years, you could build your shop, add enough solar and batteries to offset the energy used for heating and cooling and still have enough change to buy the latest woodpeckers thingie :D

Jim Becker
01-27-2021, 7:52 PM
My dream shop will be one that's at least as large as the one I have now when we do our "downsize" move...if it has to be smaller, it will be less of a dream. :)

Doug Dawson
01-28-2021, 1:05 AM
My dream shop would be the same as it is now but with 12 foot ceilings and overhead metal beams so I could install a crane system.

Rod Sheridan
01-29-2021, 10:16 AM
Yes Tom, the environmental aspects of a basement shop are hard to beat.

It's -15 today, glad the shop is in the basement, I only need steel toe bunny slippers and a mug of tea..........Rod.

Jack Frederick
01-29-2021, 11:23 AM
How are you conditioning the Dream Shop?

John K Jordan
01-29-2021, 11:59 AM
Oh! now I have it, a free standing shop in Hawaii, that's the ticket. May as well dream big.

And you can get some great wood in Hawaii!

My dream shop is what I have now built a few years ago in two stages, 24x62', heat and air, wood and metal working, comfy office, underground power, broadband internet. And all paid for.
I tell people I built it with my bare hands but I lie, I used tools.

450700 450701 450702 450699 450703

My dream+ shop would have a bathroom and kitchen and be about 40' longer. At 70 I might not get around to building it myself but I have a builder friend who said he could do it.

JKJ

Harold Patterson
02-03-2021, 4:48 PM
The only thing wrong with my basement shop is I wish the ceiling was was taller than 8Ft. But I do have a window and a walkout sliding door, so that a big consolation.