PDA

View Full Version : Festool RO 125 or 150?

Michael Drew
01-27-2021, 5:17 PM
As I continue to slide around on this slippery slope of buying Festool tools, I'm now deliberating over their Rotax sanders. At first glance it looks as if the primary difference between the 125 and 150 is the pad size. I haven't actually fondled either, so I don't know about physical size. The specs say the 150 is about a pound heavier..... I'm inclined to go with the 125, because I have several boxes of 5" sand paper for my collection of 5" ROSs. If I do buy one of these sanders, I figured I'd ask this crowd for input first...... If I get the 125, will I regret not getting the 150? Is there a not so obvious attribute the 150 has over the smaller sander?

Cliff Polubinsky
01-27-2021, 5:56 PM
Michael,

I just bought a Rotex and got the 125 for the same reason you're considering. I have an ECS 125 and I didn't want to have to stock 2 sizes of sandpaper. The only difference I'm aware of between the two is the pad size. You can cover more area with the 150, but I've never felt I was at a disadvantage with the 125. The extra pound of the 150 would be a disadvantage for me, especially after sanding a large project. And on narrower pieces, like rails and stiles, I would think the larger size would be a disadvantage. But I've never used the 150 so I could be way off base. And the 125 costs less.

Cliff

Michael W. Clark
01-27-2021, 6:27 PM
I have the Rotex 150 and don't find the weight to be a problem. Most of the time I am sanding in the horizontal though.

If you already have an ETS 125, it may make more sense financially (sander and sandpaper) to stay that size unless you have a need for the larger sanding area.

The extra weight does allow you to only exert minimal downward pressure for most sanding and it is about 40%+ more sanding area for the 150.

I can sand faces of face frame parts with it but not the edges, too tippy and that may be true for a 125 as well. I have a RTS 400 for small narrow parts.

Jon Grider
01-27-2021, 6:52 PM
I have the Rotex 150. It is a beast, but that is why I bought it; it does what I want which is fast removal.

Jim Becker
01-27-2021, 8:23 PM
Why do you want the Rotex? Do you have heavy stock removal requirements that will justify the slightly more awkward balance that the Rotex sanders bring along with their versatility? If you are going to primarily be doing normal finish sanding, opt for the non-Rotex tool. Rotex tends to be a "two hand" sander because of its robustness and balance...great when you are digging into something, but not great if you are sanding something that you have use the tool in one hand and hold the workpiece with the other. I use my Rotex about 2-3% of the time. All the rest of my sanding gives the nod to the 150/3. (My Rotex is also 150mm sized)

The top 125mm (5") sander can also take a larger 150mm pad; but the reverse is not true, in case that helps.

Tom Bain
01-27-2021, 8:40 PM
Why do you want the Rotex? Do you have heavy stock removal requirements that will justify the slightly more awkward balance that the Rotex sanders bring along with their versatility? If you are going to primarily be doing normal finish sanding, opt for the non-Rotex tool. Rotex tends to be a "two hand" sander because of its robustness and balance...great when you are digging into something, but not great if you are sanding something that you have use the tool in one hand and hold the workpiece with the other. I use my Rotex about 2-3% of the time. All the rest of my sanding gives the nod to the 150/3. (My Rotex is also 150mm sized)

The top 125mm (5") sander can also take a larger 150mm pad; but the reverse is not true, in case that helps.

I agree with Jim. I have the Rotex 150 and the ETS 125. In my view, the rotex is a specialty tool which has it’s place and excels in hogging out lots of material or sanding very large surfaces, but it’s a two-handed operation. It has pretty much replaced my belt sander, but for normal sanding 90% of the time I use the 5” ETS because it’s so much lighter and easier to control.

Michael Drew
01-27-2021, 8:58 PM
This is way I asked.....I have never used any of the Festool sanders. Considering their price point, it's not a decision I want to regret.

I only assumed the smaller 125 Rotex would be easier to use and if the machine was used in "finishing" mode, it would not require two hands. If that is not the case, it'll probably not see much use. To be transparent, I have been looking at one of the AirVantage sanders to get something with a lower center of gravity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HYL5RJK/?coliid=I2Z2HEI2CCUDV4&colid=3R2MV4DPOS5L7&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it. The 125 Rotex sander looked like it might fill that "want", but also serve dual purpose as a material hogger.....

Curt Putnam
01-27-2021, 8:58 PM
I started out with the need to handle large panels. I planned on running the RO 150 up to 180 grit and switching to an ETS 125 for 220 and up. The little sander was purchased a whim and has not yet been used.

Gabriel Marusic
01-28-2021, 12:06 AM
I have the RO 150 and the ETS 150. Having bought the ETS first and having a substantial investment in Festool paper I ended up going with the Rotex 150 for that very reason. As others mentioned the Rotex can get a bit squirrely and you generally need to hold it with 2 hands. They make a front handle for the 150 that I feel is mandatory with this machine to really control it. https://www.amazon.com/Festool-495188-Auxiliary-Front-Handle/dp/B002VMUPNC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2HSMXYVB5XGMB&dchild=1&keywords=festool+rotex+150+handle&qid=1611809927&sprefix=rotex+handle%2Caps%2C246&sr=8-1

All said, I don't use it a ton but love it when I do. It's a beast for hogging off material.

Joe Hendershott
01-28-2021, 7:20 AM
This is way I asked.....I have never used any of the Festool sanders. Considering their price point, it's not a decision I want to regret.

I can put your mind at ease. Doesn't matter which one you buy you will not regret it- except you will want to buy more and more Festool products. After you get either it is difficult to use any Bosch, Makita, Ryobi product without being disappointed.

Dave Sabo
01-28-2021, 8:59 AM
Why don’t you get the Bosch GET75 in 5” amd 6” size?

You’ll spend the same money as a rotex , but get two sanders.

Jim Becker
01-28-2021, 9:46 AM

I only assumed the smaller 125 Rotex would be easier to use and if the machine was used in "finishing" mode, it would not require two hands. If that is not the case, it'll probably not see much use.

It's probably a tough situation in your geography, but if by chance there are any retailers that handle Festool in your area, go there and put them in your hand. The other good thing is that you can return Festool if you are not satisfied. I think that probably the most universal choice right now in the Festool sander line is the 125mm that can also take the 150mm platter. That extra 25mm/1" of disk can be handy on larger surfaces while the 125mm is slightly more maneuverable.

Michael Drew
01-28-2021, 2:20 PM
Why don’t you get the Bosch GET75 in 5” amd 6” size?

You’ll spend the same money as a rotex , but get two sanders.

That sander in the 5" version has been in my Amazon shopping list for a few weeks now. I was actually thinking about buying it, as well as the smaller AirAVantage palm sander. Both would be about the same cost as one of the Rotex sanders.

It's probably a tough situation in your geography, but if by chance there are any retailers that handle Festool in your area, go there and put them in your hand. The other good thing is that you can return Festool if you are not satisfied. I think that probably the most universal choice right now in the Festool sander line is the 125mm that can also take the 150mm platter. That extra 25mm/1" of disk can be handy on larger surfaces while the 125mm is slightly more maneuverable.

Good advice Jim. The dealer is roughly 300 miles away, and they are having difficulty keeping stock. This pandemic has been a boon for my favorite hardware/wooking supply store. Lot's of folks have more time to fiddle in their work shops......(myself included). Having said that, the Rotex sanders do seem a bit bulky to me. I can see the value though......

I've got the smaller domino, midi vac, track saw, and the latest Festool purchase was the OF1400 router.

Jim Becker
01-28-2021, 3:40 PM
I'm glad I have my Rotex 150 for when it's the right tool for the job, but I'm even more glad I have my 150/3 which has been a constant sanding companion for many years now. I actually bought the Rotex originally when I was reconditioning some tractor implements and needed some heavy sanding capability. I've used it for smoothing really large things from time to time and for shaping wood, so it's paid for itself, despite the limited use. Even though my older 105/3 is pretty heavy and not quite as elegant as the current version, it's vibration free and the dust collection is excellent. One of the reasons for that is Festool putting that center hole in the abrasive and pad. That's the sport that sanding debris tends to pile up on many sanders which can lead to shorter abrasive life and also negatively affect the sanding quality in some cases. I've toyed with getting one of the 125mm sanders, too, but have never executed on that to-date.

And yea...supplies are constrained, both due to the large uptick in projects as well as the expected manufacturing challenges during the pandemic. That's across all the names, too.

Joe Jensen
01-28-2021, 4:16 PM
I started with 6" because in my experience I can get surfaces flatter with a 6" sander. But.....my investment of like 15 boxes of 50pc of 6" Festool paper keeps me from adding a 5" sander. I'd like one for edges but I hate to buy a bunch of 5" paper. Depends I suppose on how much paper you have. I don't think the 1 lb weight difference would be enough for me to give up the much larger pad area of 6" over 5". For the math people in the crowd, the 5" sander has 19.6" of area and the 6" sander has 28.2" of area, or 44% more sanding area.

Dave Sabo
01-28-2021, 4:51 PM

people need to be careful - there is only one model that takes both sized pads, and it’s not the rotex. It’s the EC125

I started with 6" because in my experience I can get surfaces flatter with a 6" sander. But.....my investment of like 15 boxes of 50pc of 6" Festool paper keeps me from adding a 5" sander. I'd like one for edges but I hate to buy a bunch of 5" paper. Depends I suppose on how much paper you have. I don't think the 1 lb weight difference would be enough for me to give up the much larger pad area of 6" over 5". For the math people in the crowd, the 5" sander has 19.6" of area and the 6" sander has 28.2" of area, or 44% more sanding area.

this may be advantageous for doing large flat pieces, but a 6” rotex is far from a universal sander. I wouldn’t let my current inventory of consumables determine which tool is best for my projects needs.

That sander in the 5" version has been in my Amazon shopping list for a few weeks now. I was actually thinking about buying it, as well as the smaller AirAVantage palm sander. Both would be about the same cost as one of the Rotex sanders.

those will give you waaaaaaay more capability than a single rotex. The Bosch pretty much an equal to its rotex cousin. Be sure to get the SP adapter for attaching to you a dust extractor.

Joe Jensen
01-28-2021, 6:52 PM
I only use the rotex for rough sanding, usually in rotary mode. For anything finer I used the ETS150 or the rectangular pad finishing sander. I also have the smaller rectangular, all Festool. I generally gravitate to the largest pad sander that makes sense for the job.

people need to be careful - there is only one model that takes both sized pads, and it’s not the rotex. It’s the EC125

this may be advantageous for doing large flat pieces, but a 6” rotex is far from a universal sander. I wouldn’t let my current inventory of consumables determine which tool is best for my projects needs.

those will give you waaaaaaay more capability than a single rotex. The Bosch pretty much an equal to its rotex cousin. Be sure to get the SP adapter for attaching to you a dust extractor.

Jim Becker
01-28-2021, 8:11 PM

ETS EC 125 full name just so folks have the whole name. That's what I was referring to in my comment, but neglected to say the the specific model number. Thanks for the reminder.

John Redford
01-28-2021, 10:41 PM
How is it possible the ETS EC 125 can use both 5 and 6 inch sandpaper?

Dave Sabo
01-28-2021, 11:01 PM
How is it possible the ETS EC 125 can use both 5 and 6 inch sandpaper?

Because , unofficially of course , the EC125 will accept the pad from the EC150.

You buy the 125 sander and purchase a replacement pad for the 150 and bolt it on in place of the original.

John Redford
01-28-2021, 11:23 PM
Because , unofficially of course , the EC125 will accept the pad from the EC150.

You buy the 125 sander and purchase a replacement pad for the 150 and bolt it on in place of the original.

Thank you. For some reason I was having trouble understanding how 6” paper goes on a 5” pad. You have cleared up my confusion.

Matt Day
01-29-2021, 1:57 PM
I have the 125, and could convert it to the 150 by changing the pad if I wanted to. It’s some point I would love to get a Rotex, but honestly I would probably save some money and get the Bosch version.

Michael Drew
01-29-2021, 4:19 PM
I'm grateful for the help/input provided. I think my best option is to buy two different tools, verse the single Rotex. As cool as they are, I don't think I'll be very happy using one as an 'all purpose' sander. I'm going to get one of the AirVantage sanders. I haven't decided which one to get yet.... I'm leaning toward the Gen 2 with dust collection over the first gen. Only because I think the separate DC converter box will irritate me. I'd rather just unwrap a cord and go, like I do with all my other 120V tools..... I'll get the Bosh GET75 for the times I need a quicker, more aggressive sander. Then the belt sanders after that.......

Jeezus.....I'll never give my better half crap about wasting time picking out a pair shoes again. I've exceeded her record by a significant amount deliberating over a sander. Analysis paralysis....

Dave Sabo
01-31-2021, 10:44 PM
Many find a belt sander obsolete after buy a rotex type sander.

Joe Hendershott
02-01-2021, 7:37 AM
Many find a belt sander obsolete after buy a rotex type sander.

I haven't used a belt sander since I got the rotex, it works just as well and actually easier. If the OP can try a Bosch and Festool side by side it would be good. I ditched that same Bosch after getting the Festool, the difference in vibration is huge. Maybe someone here lives close enough by to try one?

Dave Sabo
02-01-2021, 7:52 AM
I haven't used a belt sander since I got the rotex, it works just as well and actually easier. If the OP can try a Bosch and Festool side by side it would be good. I ditched that same Bosch after getting the Festool, the difference in vibration is huge. Maybe someone here lives close enough by to try one?

You’re the first person I’ve heard that feels the GET75 is not the equal to the rotex. Well, except for Festool employees and dyed in the wool fanboys. The older Bosch versions were not as good, but the GET series seems to have nailed it.

For sure an in hand comparison would be best, and all Michael need do is order them up. Both have a 30 day NQA reTurn policy, so return the whichever one doesn’t win.

Michael Drew
02-01-2021, 1:19 PM
I ordered the AirVantage sander. I'll get the GET75 next. It probably will not see much use, so if it vibrates a tad more than the $600 Festool, I can live with that. The little palm sander will get used every day I'm building something. That's the one I am most concerned about, with respect to comfort. I have both carpal tunnel and tendonitis. It doesn't take much to make my hand go numb anymore.

I wish it was a simple, buy and send it back thing for me...... Not so. Shipping costs to/from Alaska make buying tools (or anything, really) a more complicated decision. Many suppliers refuse to send anything through the USPS. FedEx and UPS are horribly expensive, because everything goes air. A friggin envelope costs about $50. As much as I hate using Amazon, their free Prime shipping (when available) is generally where I migrate to when buying stuff I can't find locally.

Jim Becker
02-01-2021, 1:26 PM
I hear you on the numbness...that's what drove me to get my Festool sanders originally. Even wearing gel filled gloves, the old PC sanders made me have to stop after no more than about 30 minutes of sanding. I can go for hours with the better tools. So regardless of other things, if you have that challenge, it's worth buying a higher quality product, no matter what the brand.

Dave Sabo
02-01-2021, 8:16 PM
The AV sander and its surfprep/uneeda cousins are some of the smoothest vibration free sanders I've ever used.

Keep in mind too, that the Rotex sanders are not what I'd called smooth and vibration free. Especially in rotary mode. I just used the ro90 to strip some finish off of some walnut frames and my hand was tingly after an hours worth.

Jim Becker
02-02-2021, 9:22 AM
Yea, rotary mode on any flavor is a "real ride" sometimes, especially when one is using the more aggressive and coarser abrasives. It's not just vibration, either...it's a little more work to control the tool as it can start to have a mind of its own as it grabs the material.

Will Blick
02-02-2021, 3:22 PM
has many ww had experience with these Air Advantage Sanders?
Some how, they have flown under my Radar...
Pros n Cons?
Great tip on converting the EC125 to 150...will be doing that upgrade!

Dave Sabo
02-03-2021, 8:34 AM
has many ww had experience with these Air Advantage Sanders?
Some how, they have flown under my Radar...
Pros n Cons?
Great tip on converting the EC125 to 150...will be doing that upgrade!

pros:
well made sanders
smooth and low vibration
takes regular sanding discs available everywhere
lightweight
works great
relatively quiet

cons:
no dealers where you can actually try one on for size
expensive
two step turn on function
powering down electronic before unplugging is advised - takes time -
dust port is stoopid design that doesn’t work with premium vacuum hoses. Must buy an adapter that’s hard to use and changes the center of gravity.
some people don’t like the paddle switch

Michael Drew
02-03-2021, 1:03 PM
I did not realize I needed a vac adapter when I ordered the AV sander. I bought the 2nd generation that's 120V. Does that model have this two step turn on function???

Michael Drew
02-13-2021, 3:36 PM
I'll answer my own questions....... Yah, this thing will need a hose adapter of some sort. It apears to be configured with left hand internal threads to screw a hose into. My Festool hose will not fit into this sander as it comes from the supplier. The two step power function is not accurate. It does have a button that turns it on, but so does every other sander I have. I like it, because without it, you'd have to unplug the thing to change sand paper. Speaking of paper, it comes with a five hole H/L pad. And of cource, my numerous boxes of paper are all 8 hole...... I can't get more than two holes to line up.

Other than those two gripes, I like the sander. I bought the 3/16" orbit. It does not vibrate as much as my Bosch sander. I love the lower profile and how it fits in my hand. I can see why this type of sander has such a big fan base.

I need to look into finding a hose adapter. And maybe a different pad.....

Dave Sabo
02-14-2021, 9:21 AM
Michael, every sander you have has a master power button and another switch to turn on the sander ? What other sanders do you have ?

AV should sell the vac adapter. If not, they’re available from SurfPrep.

Shouldn’t be too difficult to find a generic backer pad with 8 holes. I believe it’s a 5/16 x 24 thread. Check with the auto supply houses or big river. The Mirka deros 5” should work too , it has the 8 hole pattern. But after the cost is factored in , perhaps you should return the AV and just get the Mirka ? If the AV didn’t come with a wrench, you’re prob. gonna need on to change the pad.

Michael Drew
02-14-2021, 11:53 AM
Good point on the switch. Technically you are totally correct. With this sander, however, it's kinda hard not to engage the paddle after you put your hand on it, so it's not like other sanders where you grip them, then toggle a switch of sorts. The paddle, at least in my mind doesn't really seem like a hard switch?

Thanks for the vac adapter suggestions. I did search on AV's web site for one, and also a different pad, but they had neither listed.

It came with a wrench. This sander was roughly $350 from the amazon store. I think a Mirka is over $500? I'll get the other pad if I can find one.

Dave Sabo
02-15-2021, 9:28 AM
The discs can be swapped without turning off the global power if you hold the unit by the tail. There’s a flat spot your palm can rest on over the global power/ speed switches and not engage the lever.

I’m certain you can find an 8 hole backer pad to fit. I thought AV had raised their prices the $500 level recently, still a good deal at $350 + the new pad.

Michael Drew
02-15-2021, 12:21 PM
I have an 8 hole pad and the adapter both on order. Thanks for the tips.

Apparently, I do not possess your disk changing skills. I'll just hit the little button before swapping them. It's not like it's a PITA to do that.

I used the sander quite a bit yesterday. I just used the universal repair method (duct tape) and got the sander hooked up to my vacuum. Even with only about 2 1/2 holes unobstructed, the dust collection was equally as good as my Bosch sander.

I really like this sander...... Thanks to everyone who helped me through this process of analysis paralysis.

Mark Bolton
02-16-2021, 12:56 PM
Good lord... I am so sorry for suppliers....

I have never read such foolishness? Global power? Turning off power to change paper? What pray tell is the world coming to? We have been using these electric dynabrade envelope sanders for years and I have never in my life heard of anything so neurotic as to having to turn off the power to change the paper or a concern with regards to having two switches? What in holy heck is wrong with people.

Its not uncommon to go through an entire box of paper in a day on some work (50 sheets +), you simply roll the sander over in your palm with no pressure on the paddle and swap the sheet, seconds, and back to work. Its lightning fast compared to a toggle/slide type switch. Utter nonsense. While I could understand the manufacturer having some protocol for powering down a separate transformer and sander (the Gen1 or Ceros) in years ist never been a concern. Its not uncommon for the power supply to get its cord kicked an unplugged, you just plug back in. About the only time we power down the sander itself is if it has a chance of getting flopped over moving something and the weight of the sander upside town with trip the paddle.

The paddle is no different than a dynabrade? Are commercial shops unclipping the air to their dynabrades every time they change paper? Uhhhhhh.....

As to the hose and the adapter... ALL of these sanders, Mirka, surfprep, whoever, come with a STANDARD left hand adapter on the tool that simply threads onto a STANDARD 1 1/4" left hand spiral corrugated vac hose. We have 20 year old porter cable angle grinder body random orbit sander/polishers with the exact same adapter on them. If you are using a NON-STANDARD (read Festool) hose, thats on you for needing an adapter to a supplier that opts for a NON-STANDARD hose system. Everyone else is shipping their tools to meet the STANDARD corrugated hose (which we have several of).

Holes/pads/paper, we have the RO pads with the million holes in them, the abranet type pads, so the amount of holes in the paper is really irrelevant. 5 hole paper equals a bit more abrasive and a bit less pickup, 9 hole paper equals a bit more pickup and a bit less abrasive. We run the million hole pads on all the sanders so what hole paper doesnt matter but we run the 9 hole to keep the shop as clean as possible.

Happy you made a smart choice on a sander,.. your body, and your work, will thank you. Dont let the neurotics get inside your head.... :-)

Dave Sabo
02-16-2021, 10:38 PM
Prob. is Mark that 1-1/4” bare hose end that your shop uses doesn’t really fit or attach onto most other woodworking tools’ vac ports without an adapter. So , you’re gonna be fiddling at some point if you don’t have a dedicated vac for your sander.

Or have two hoses you can swap.

Might be ok in a commercial shop. But a mobile finisher or carpenter isn’t going to give up the space for redundant systems.

The crux is really that what you claim as non- standard has sorta become the standard. Especially in the world where individuals are shelling out 500 bucks for a sander. Festool’s hose end fits all their tools without an adapter. And guess what ? It also fits all of Bosch and Metabo’s sanders, as well as porter cable and DeWalt ones too. Ditto for Bosch’s vac hose. And Fein’s. And a slew of other premium vac/dust extractors.

The fact of the matter is these sander marketers are missing a big opportunity to access a market predisposed to expensive sanders, while at the same time passing off early adopters. It’s a real shame because the manufacture already has a part in their catalog that allows direct connection to those festool ends. It’s just none of the ignorant, thick headed marketers will place the order.

Randy Heinemann
02-17-2021, 11:19 AM
I have too many sanders, but, in my use, I found that each has a task that it excels at. I own an ETS150 and ETS125. If I were buying today I'd only buy the 125 (mainly because the edge sanding attachment is available). However, I do use the 250 with a hard pad for finish sanding larger flat surfaces and it seems to do a better job than the 125 for that work. However, the 125 is amazing when the surfaces are smaller and now, with the edge sanding attachment, great for edge sanding. I also own an Rotex 90 because I was doing a little carving and that was good for sanding curved surfaces with a soft pad. Unfortunately I own a Rotex 125 also; not something I use a lot but I have used it for a recent slab table I made to help flatten get the slab's top sanded smooth. As I said, if I were to start over I wouldn't buy all of those for sure, but they all seem to have something they excel at. What you buy depends on what you will mostly do with the sanders but it isn't always obvious what a sander's strong points are until you use it.

Mark Bolton
02-18-2021, 12:55 PM
Prob. is Mark that 1-1/4” bare hose end that your shop uses doesn’t really fit or attach onto most other woodworking tools’ vac ports without an adapter. So , you’re gonna be fiddling at some point if you don’t have a dedicated vac for your sander.

Or have two hoses you can swap.

Might be ok in a commercial shop. But a mobile finisher or carpenter isn’t going to give up the space for redundant systems.

The crux is really that what you claim as non- standard has sorta become the standard. Especially in the world where individuals are shelling out 500 bucks for a sander. Festool’s hose end fits all their tools without an adapter. And guess what ? It also fits all of Bosch and Metabo’s sanders, as well as porter cable and DeWalt ones too. Ditto for Bosch’s vac hose. And Fein’s. And a slew of other premium vac/dust extractors.

The fact of the matter is these sander marketers are missing a big opportunity to access a market predisposed to expensive sanders, while at the same time passing off early adopters. It’s a real shame because the manufacture already has a part in their catalog that allows direct connection to those festool ends. It’s just none of the ignorant, thick headed marketers will place the order.

The Festool is not, and likley will never be, "a standard". They are a proprietary company doing a masterful job of trying to become a standard but they are not.

My mirka Ceros sanders all use the left hand adapter that comes as "standard". Its most definitely a pain to swap having to thread/unthread which we do not do by simply having a dedicated hose on any tool that simply clips to any vac. Its less than perfect but when you have a tool with a dedicated power cord attached to a hose its actually easier to just pickup the tool, hose/cord and your vac and power connection are mutually at the end of the vac hose (similar to the insanely priced cord/hose kit).

In the end, cumbersome or not, they all beat the standard slip-on connections that constantly fall off and get loose of the days of old.

Inevitably someone will come out with advances/adapters over time but it will be hard to beat the budget shopper hose for 30 bucks and then tout the festool CTS/hose. You cant have your cake an eat it to. This foolishness starts with an argument that a 350 sander is "too pricey" then ends with attaching it to a foolishly pricey vac hose.

I despise the home centers but several of our sanders run through $99 ridgid shop vacs behind a dust deputy. Its hard to beat $260 bucks and you can sand til your blue in the face with a $30 hose. But I guess at this point I cant figure out if the argument is the sander is too expensive but a $500 vac is the standard or a $100 vac and a $350 sander that saves you from the wrist surgeon is better..

Again.. all foolishness.

George Yetka
02-18-2021, 1:06 PM
Ive only been using rotex up to 120 then switching to standard at 120 then progressing. I recently picked up a mirka 5/6 combo but havent put the festool power adapter on it yet so havent tried it out yet.

Dave Sabo
02-19-2021, 11:00 AM
The Festool is not, and likely will never be, "a standard". They are a proprietary company doing a masterful job of trying to become a standard but they are not.

You're forcing your self centered view on a comment I made to suit your own biases. I never said Festool was the "standard" May have inferred that, but it wasn't my intention. What I am saying is that their hose end fits into the standard size adopted by pretty much anyone in the premium tool / vac market. Their rubber hose end is pretty much the same size as Fein, Bosch, Metabo, and a slew of others. And they all fit each other's tool dust ports.

All the vacs in this test (except one - the Mericun brand) have hoses with a rubber end that natively fit the vast majority of vac ports on each other's tools. It's about as standard as it gets without a governing body declaring this is the standard , now adhere to it.

In the end, cumbersome or not, they all beat the standard slip-on connections that constantly fall off and get loose of the days of old.

Maybe for you. Not for many others. Me included. And in twenty plus years of using them I haven't had an issue with the end coming off of tools. There has been one exception - a makita sander which for some reason uses a very small diameter dust port. It required an adapter - until it was mothballed when I go a Rotex.

Inevitably someone will come out with advances/adapters over time
That time is here.
Rockler has their adapter kit and interestingly enough, Festool's latest rubber connector has a locking mechanism in it to mate to their new locking ports. It's not an improvement, for me anyway. But it addresses the slippage issue for guys that have them like you. And guess what ? It's backwards and forward compatible. The locking ends work on non locking ports and vice versa. They also work with other brands.

How's that for proprietary, non-standard , standard ? ? ? :D

Again.. all foolishness.

For sure. But you're perpetuating it by using Mirka or other high $$ sanders. These companies are simply filling a need. Otherwise they'd disappear.

Mark Bolton
02-19-2021, 2:23 PM
For sure. But you're perpetuating it by using Mirka or other high $$ sanders. These companies are simply filling a need. Otherwise they'd disappear.

Pfft... good lord man. I feel for you. Sad,... good luck.

Randy Heinemann
02-19-2021, 4:47 PM
Since I bought my first Festool sander, I decided that I would not ever buy another brand sander. Their finish sanders, like the ETS125, ETS150. and DTS400 have given me the best finishes I've ever had. (It's also possible that, with age and experience, I know more about finishes now than in the past.) With good dust collection (which is also provided by a Festool CT vac in my case), my sanding has become essentially dust free; a huge plus. I'm sure there are other great sanders available, but, for me, I now only used Festool sanders because of the dust collection and results I get. I feel that a woodworker would never regret buying one of the ETS sanders; maybe a Rotex also (if you have need of aggressive removal and minor flattening of a glue up or slab.)

Mark Bolton
02-20-2021, 2:20 PM
Since I bought my first Festool sander, I decided that I would not ever buy another brand sander

So in a world of perpetual innovation and ever more rapid technological advancement youve locked yourself into stagnation and choose to move over the surface of the planet like a reigned horse with blinders on and only be fed the information placed in your field of view by a single source holding the reigns and feeding your field of view? Sounds a lot like the current climate in the US but a recipe for disaster. Events like AWFS and the like are there to expose users to things completely outside their radar with regards to production and efficiency. Making a statement like that speaks to a mindset of utter failure regardless of the brand.

Jim Becker
02-20-2021, 3:18 PM
it's still a perfectly valid decision for an individual, Mark...it's nice to have choices and one of them is not to make other choices. :) I might put it slightly different than Randy, but my own feeling would be similar...it's "unlikely" I would buy a sander from a different vendor because I'm so pleased with the products I currently have and how they have held up since...about 2004. So while I'll not say never because, well...stuff happens...I'm happy where I am just like Randy is.

Dave Sabo
02-21-2021, 8:33 AM
Ya know AWFS and IWF aren’t for the general public, right ?

They’re not geared for hobbyists to compare tablesaws, sanders, and become enlightened to innovations and techniques. Though that certainly happens at both.

perhaps you’d find more enlightened folks and be more happy over at woodweb ?

Jim Becker
02-21-2021, 8:42 AM
That's technically true, Dave...those big shows are primarily focused on the business/industry user. But tickets are readily available for anyone who wants to attend and speaking from direct experience, they can be a real treat for the mind, albeit at the expense of sore feet and potentially a lighter wallet at some point. The manufacturers of stuff commonly used by the more hobby/small shop are very well represented and some of the most interesting things come from the materials and hardware suppliers. Unfortunately, I doubt that the virtual versions necessary at the moment have quite the same benefit relative to browsing. I'd attend AWFS and/or IWF in a heartbeat again given the opportunity.

Julie Moriarty
02-21-2021, 7:51 PM
Since I bought my first Festool sander, I decided that I would not ever buy another brand sander. Their finish sanders, like the ETS125, ETS150. and DTS400 have given me the best finishes I've ever had. (It's also possible that, with age and experience, I know more about finishes now than in the past.) With good dust collection (which is also provided by a Festool CT vac in my case), my sanding has become essentially dust free; a huge plus. I'm sure there are other great sanders available, but, for me, I now only used Festool sanders because of the dust collection and results I get. I feel that a woodworker would never regret buying one of the ETS sanders; maybe a Rotex also (if you have need of aggressive removal and minor flattening of a glue up or slab.)
Pretty much the same experience for me, Randy.

First Festool I bought was the Rotex 125 along with the CT26 DC. But the Rotex was a bit much for light sanding jobs so I bought the ETS 125. Then came a big sanding job and I broke down and bought the ETS 150/3. But I wanted something more aggressive and soon the ETS150/5 was in the shop. The collection was filled out with the Rotex 90.

Since then the 150 models are by far used more than the rest. Next is the Rotex 90. I would never part with those three. The Rotex 125 rarely gets used and the ETS 125 even less than that. But I also have a Makita 4" belt sander that comes out for the heavy sanding jobs. No way the Rotex 125 can compete with that. I can sand with one hand easily and create a very flat surface. The Makita is also in the "can't live without" group.

Randy Heinemann
02-22-2021, 10:09 AM
So in a world of perpetual innovation and ever more rapid technological advancement youve locked yourself into stagnation and choose to move over the surface of the planet like a reigned horse with blinders on and only be fed the information placed in your field of view by a single source holding the reigns and feeding your field of view? Sounds a lot like the current climate in the US but a recipe for disaster. Events like AWFS and the like are there to expose users to things completely outside their radar with regards to production and efficiency. Making a statement like that speaks to a mindset of utter failure regardless of the brand.

Mostly, for me, it just speaks that I don't need anymore or any other types of sanders and the Festool sanders will likely last me the rest of my life. Thanks for the philosophy lesson though. Oh, by the way, I normally just buy tools that work the best for me. In this case, it just means that Festool sanders have the best dust collection, the least vibration (on finish sanders which is what I mostly use), and I get the best results of any sander I've ever bought.

Ian Scofield
02-22-2021, 2:50 PM
It was mentioned earlier in the thread but I bought the 6" pad for my 125 a few weeks ago and it was one of the best things I've bought regarding woodworking. Moving from a 5" to a 6" sander actually made a huge difference as I'm able to sand much larger panels with ease. Being able to have the same sander and just switch out the pads has been a great space saver too. Highly recommend it to other folks.

Mark Bolton
02-23-2021, 3:33 PM
Ya know AWFS and IWF aren’t for the general public, right ?

They’re not geared for hobbyists to compare tablesaws, sanders, and become enlightened to innovations and techniques. Though that certainly happens at both.

perhaps you’d find more enlightened folks and be more happy over at woodweb ?

Ever contemplated the concept that entities like Nascar, the NHRA, IHRA, INDY, NASA, and a litany of other "non-hobbyist" entities drive a massive innovation arm of industry that plays directly to the hobbyists advantage? Dave.. I feel for you.. man,.. honestly I do. Hard hard row to hoe. Find a way to love yourself. I wouldnt have velcro or a zipper, or CA glue, zip ties, or anything cool in my shop with your mentality. I'd be pounding things out with semi sharp rocks and clubs.

Dude.. Get over yourself.

Mark Bolton
02-23-2021, 3:35 PM
It was mentioned earlier in the thread but I bought the 6" pad for my 125 a few weeks ago and it was one of the best things I've bought regarding woodworking. Moving from a 5" to a 6" sander actually made a huge difference as I'm able to sand much larger panels with ease. Being able to have the same sander and just switch out the pads has been a great space saver too. Highly recommend it to other folks.

May work out for you but something to consider is the counterbalance in the sander itself is typically matched to the pad size so simply swapping between pads without changing the counterbalance can have negative effects.

Randy Heinemann
02-23-2021, 10:19 PM

Earthshaking technological advancements in finish sanders? Unless someone developed an affordable robotic finish sander which didn't require me holding it, the Festool sanders will serve my purpose literally for the rest of my life. If I was again 20 years old, they I'd say I could, in fact, wear mine out and require purchase of a new one. Then, for sure, I'd look at what's available. At the point I am in my life and the use I put my tools to, the Festool sanders are the best I've used and don't require upgrade. AWFS exhibits a wonderful world of tools and innovation (when it actually occurs in person again). However, to some degree, AWFS and tool-makers create the need to upgrade tools to survive financially and secure customers who, like you, buy tools for the sake of innovation rather than function. There's a place in the world for all of use. Failure only occurs when the user doesn't use the tool correctly or buys a tool which isn't suited to his/her needs.

Dave Sabo
02-24-2021, 12:03 AM
Ever contemplated the concept that entities like Nascar, the NHRA, IHRA, INDY, NASA, and a litany of other "non-hobbyist" entities drive a massive innovation arm of industry that plays directly to the hobbyists advantage? Dave.. I feel for you.. man,.. honestly I do. Hard hard row to hoe. Find a way to love yourself. I wouldnt have velcro or a zipper, or CA glue, zip ties, or anything cool in my shop with your mentality. I'd be pounding things out with semi sharp rocks and clubs.

Dude.. Get over yourself.

You should heed your own advice. :rolleyes: