PDA

View Full Version : Adding soft start to router

Alex Zeller
01-25-2021, 4:43 PM
When I won my PM66 at a woodworking auction it had a Bosch 1617 fixed base router in the extension table. It's a single speed 240v model. I'm trying to find a use for it but the 240v limits it to the shop since that's where any outlet it can plug into is located. I'm thinking of setting it up for making dovetails but without the soft start feature the only way to use it is to start it and then place it on top of a jig. I'm not sure if it's because it's 240v (so less current draw) but it has a huge kick when it starts. I don't think I'll need to reduce the speed but do any of the external speed controllers come with a soft start feature? I tried searching but everything I've found is about disabling the soft start feature in the router to make an external speed controller work.

I added the Bosch adapter to use the guide bushings to the base. With it and the brass bushing it's very hard to see the bit when placing it on a jig. This requires me to kneel down so I can look at the bit to make sure I don't damage the jig. I'm going to replace the base with an aftermarket plexiglass one that the bushing will fit but haven't yet.

For those with the Leigh D4R with the dust collection or the Akida do you place the router on the jig before you start the router?

johnny means
01-25-2021, 5:43 PM
Place the router on the jig before starting. You shouldn't need to see the bit. If your setup is correct there should be no risk of hitting the jig.

Ron Selzer
01-25-2021, 5:51 PM
"For those with the Leigh D4R with the dust collection do you place the router on the jig before you start the router?"

Have an older Leigh D3 with dust collection, 2 PC690s plugged into foot switches.
ALWAYS place the router in place on the jig before starting and NEVER remove it until router is at a complete stop
Leigh jig has the scars to remind me why this has to be this way, not a fast learner when tired.
Ron

Richard Coers
01-25-2021, 9:36 PM
No way to add soft start. That would take a computer and speed sensors with feedback circuitry to work.

Bruce King
01-26-2021, 12:38 PM
Here is a soft start kit, not sure what voltage and current but it could be modified to work on 240v.
https://nevonprojects.com/single-phase-induction-motor-with-smooth-start/