PDA

View Full Version : Using other routers with Festool Guides?

Michael Ballent
01-05-2006, 4:01 PM
Have any of you attempted to to rig something up that would allow a non Festool router to run on the Festool Guides? I have been looking around on this site, Google, and Yahoo but no luck... Just curious if anyone has had any luck with this... just so I do not have to re-invent the wheel. Just cannot justify buying another router at this time, LOML already thinks I have too many as it is. :cool:

JayStPeter
01-05-2006, 7:23 PM
Microjig makes one that will adapt any router they make their other stuff for to the Festool rails.
I think someone posted about making a base plate that used one of the Festool rail adapters, but I believe that involved a significant amount of machine work.

Jay

Jeff Watson
01-05-2006, 8:04 PM
I have been looking at the micro fence set-up for about a week. I posted a thread on this about a week ago. Nice set up. I have finally convinced my self to purchase the Micro Fence next week. I have a Bosch 1617 that I am going to use with the Festool fence and micro fence system. Check out their web site, good info on it. www.microfence.com You might want to join the Yahoo user group for Festool. I lot of go info on that site as well.

Michael Ballent
01-05-2006, 11:01 PM
I have been looking at the micro fence set-up for about a week. I posted a thread on this about a week ago. Nice set up. I have finally convinced my self to purchase the Micro Fence next week. I have a Bosch 1617 that I am going to use with the Festool fence and micro fence system. Check out their web site, good info on it. www.microfence.com (http://www.microfence.com) You might want to join the Yahoo user group for Festool. I lot of go info on that site as well.

Jay and Jeff,

This is cool to know... So do you need to buy the MicroJig and then buy this adapter as well?

Jeff what exactly are you planning on getting?

Greg Mann
01-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Jay and Jeff,

This is cool to know... So do you need to buy the MicroJig and then buy this adapter as well?

The short answer is yes, and it would probably add up to enough to buy another router. But, think about what you would have. The MicroFence has a nice adjuster system, expanding your router capabilties elsewhere and, with the adapter for the rail, you wouldn't need to buy another router. I was the guy who made my own adapter for using the Microfence with the Festool rail. It was not that hard. The only machining was making a UHMW guide block and drilling some mounting holes. This can be done in most any workshop. It certainly isn't any harder than many of the items Pat Warner makes using only woodworking tools and a drill press. There are pics at the user's group but I would be remiss in not saying that Richard at MicroFence provides excellent products that are well engineered. I doubt you would regret buying from him.

Greg

Dave Falkenstein
01-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Hi Michael - There was a thread recently at the Festool Owners Group about using the Festool guide rail adapter for the OF1400 router with a different router. I recall there was another router mentioned that would work. Of course, if you don't happen to already own that router, then you would need to buy one, and if that's the case you might as well get the Festool router. Anyway, check out that thread for more details.

Jeff Watson
01-07-2006, 7:51 AM
Like Greg I plan on making my own adapter using the micro fence. I have some lexan from another project and will just cut a base plate for my router similar to the jig that is on Micro Fence web site. I plan on purchasing the microfence total plus package. That way I will also have the fence and the circle jig. I have read nothing but good things about this product. When I finish I will post pictures.