PDA

View Full Version : I really wanted to turn

Raymond Overman
01-05-2006, 2:49 PM
I don't think I've posted these pictures here. If I have, I apologize but I ran across them again today while I was poking around in an old folder looking for something else and thought they might be interesting. These are of my first lathe. An old Sears & Roebuck with a 5/8 D style headstock and dead tailstock center. It didn't have a morse taper so I had to be careful not to start a fire. It was located in a storage closet on the back of a townhouse I lived in right after I got married. It couldn't have been more than 4'x5' total. I bought it for $50 at a yard sale with the table.

Rich Stewart
01-05-2006, 3:00 PM
Wow! 4 X 8? I thought my 8 X 12 was small. But...whatever works is good enough.

John Hart
01-05-2006, 3:02 PM
Bet you're happy you came out of the closet eh Raymond? Ok...so I'm not a comedian.

Very cool. I bet everyone has some "Meager Beginning" stories. I know I do. :)

Raymond Overman
01-05-2006, 3:41 PM
Hey John,

We can't pick on people for that anymore. Remember everyone should be politically correct and tolerant of other's lifestyles. If I want to turn in the closet, I can. My 8x10 now isn't much of a jump but it sure is nice compared to the space I started in. Let's just say that I know how to use every corner to my advantage. I'm very organized and sometimes I wear my flat front khaki's and pink shirt while I turn. A very metro-sexual look.

Then, as well as now, my wife is happy when I come out of my woodturning closet. :)

Robert Mickley
01-05-2006, 3:52 PM
Man I feel privalaged, I started out in an 8 X 18 area, but in defense I was doing flat work in too :)

John Hart
01-05-2006, 4:01 PM
Ooops! Sorry....didn't mean to hit a sensitive spot. I just keep skeletons in my closet. Hey..you're a bunch of steps ahead of me Raymond. My little shop is PACKED with stuff. Problem is...I'm not organized. I'm a hopeless piler. I have names for my piles! :o Remember when KC Constable was rehabbing his shop? That's what mine looks like all the time....But, that's where I'm happy.:) :)

Robert Mickley
01-05-2006, 4:13 PM
I have piles for supper sometimes,,a pile of this and pile of that.

Keith Burns
01-05-2006, 4:25 PM
Mine was about that size too, I also walked 2 miles to school, in the snow, uphill both ways:eek:. I always say it's not the size of the space, but the quality of the time spent there. I know you probably have fond memories of your first space, I know I do.:)

Ernie Nyvall
01-05-2006, 9:48 PM
I'm very organized and sometimes I wear my flat front khaki's and pink shirt while I turn. A very metro-sexual look.

I didn't need that picture in my head.

Ernie

Raymond Overman
01-05-2006, 9:50 PM
I didn't need that picture in my head.

Ernie

LOL, I could almost hear you cringe from here Ernie. Blame it on John though. He's the one who had to go and bring the whole subject up.

Ernie Nyvall
01-05-2006, 10:16 PM
LOL, I could almost hear you cringe from here Ernie. Blame it on John though. He's the one who had to go and bring the whole subject up.

Yep, he's a problem alright :D , but it's fun to watch him cook up something new in his basement lab:eek: .

Ernie

John Hart
01-05-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm just sittin' here smilin' :)