PDA

View Full Version : "You can never have too many clamps"....unless the wife sees the credit card bill

Silas Smith
01-05-2006, 2:05 PM
I'll admit, I might have gone a bit crazy at Hartville when Bessey had 40% off everything. This is what I got:

4-12" all K-body
16-24"
12-50"

The only problem is that an invoice came with the packages and now some have got to go. I am willing to pass a few along to fellow creek members for cost plus shipping, but I am wondering what I should keep. I figure I can keep about 1/2 of them. I already have a couple of 40" Jorgys, 4 60" pipe clamps and a handfull of smaller bar and squeeze clamps. What are the sizes you use the most? I am thinking of keeping 8 of the 50" and 6 of the 24". I really like the 12", but will I use them?

Jim Becker
01-05-2006, 2:08 PM
Silas, I'd be interested in the 12"...I don't have any of those. PM me with the details. Shipping to PA.

Silas Smith
01-05-2006, 2:14 PM
Jim, well if your interested in them, maybe they are something I should keep! Then maybe I can start to make stuff close to your quaility. What are the ones you use the most in your shop?

Frank Pellow
01-05-2006, 2:28 PM
I definately use the 12" (as well as all the other sizes). In fact, the four that I have are currently in use clamping the sides on two drawers. If I had eight of them, they would all be in use right now.

I suggest that you work out some way to keep all the clamps that you have. Otherwise, you will likely just be buying them sometime in the future (and will probably pay more for them then).

Larry Fox
01-05-2006, 2:32 PM
I guess it depends on what type of work you plan to do. For me, I would ditch the 50's. I have 8 of them and find them to be a bid heavy and unwieldy for most work I do so I use them very infrequently. I use the 24" ones I have much more frequently.

Scott Coffelt
01-05-2006, 4:42 PM
I have 12's and use them all the time, cause I have them. If I only had 24's as the smallest I would use them. As is usually said, you can use a longer clamp (usually) for a smaller job, but not a smaller on a larger job. That said, if it was me and I had to choose then I would save 4-12's, 12-24's and 4-50's or 12-24's and 8-50's. But man, it would sure be hard to get rid of them once I had them.