PDA

View Full Version : Keeping rain out of the shop - coming in underneath door

Barry O'Mahony
01-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Hello,

Here in the Pacific NW, it gets pretty wet and rainy this time of year. Iv'e had problem with humdity in the shop - for example, I'd go out and the whole slab would be wet. At one point I thought this was coming up through the slab itself. However, I tried covering a portion with some 6 mil poly, and that portion stayed dry. So it was not coming up through the slab - instead, it was humidity in the shop condensing on a cold slab that was below the dew point temperature.

I finally isolated the problem to rain water coming under the garage-type door, especially when wind driven. Even though the door bottom had the normal weatherstripping, that wasn't cutting it.

I found this product in one of those catalogs that they put in airplanes: http://www.jnkproducts.com/storm-shield-garage-door-threshold.htm It glues to the slab and really works to keep the rain out. Amazon has it for a better price than the manufacturer's site ($39.94 for the 16'). Right now it's too wet and cold for me to glue it to the slab, but even just having it in place without the glue, it's doing the job.

Matt Meiser
01-05-2006, 1:02 PM
It is also available from Home Depot and I agree that it works really well. My overhead door is 12x12, and faces west. Before I added Storm Shield, I would get water every time it rainined. I still get a small amount during a major rain, but nothing to worry about.

David Clark
01-05-2006, 3:13 PM
Barry the product works fine as long as you do not park in the shop (garage?). Your garage floor should have pitch on it for drainage running towards the door and it will hold in snow melt off and rain water dripping off the vehicles. Hope this was helpful. David

Roy Wall
01-05-2006, 3:35 PM
Hello,

Right now it's too wet and cold for me to glue it to the slab, but even just having it in place without the glue, it's doing the job.

Barry,

I think I'd leave it like that - removable.......unless it is really necessary to glue it down.

Makes for easier "sweep outs", will last much longer, no cars rolling over it, lawnmowers, etc....

Glad it works well!

Barry O'Mahony
01-06-2006, 4:37 AM
Barry the product works fine as long as you do not park in the shop (garage?). Your garage floor should have pitch on it for drainage running towards the door and it will hold in snow melt off and rain water dripping off the vehicles. Hope this was helpful. DavidDavid,

True if the "shop" is really a garage. That's not the case here and the slab is not sloped. A car gets put in there only when I need a warm, bright, and dry place to work on it (speaking of which, I'm gonna finish that rear brake job this weekend, and get that thing outa there!) ;)

Charlie Mastro
01-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Barry,

I have the same problem here but mine is because the slab has a low spot right in the middle of the slab under the door.

I looked at the link and the price for the 16' is $69.26 plus 10 for shipping. Where did you see the 39.94 price?

Charlie:confused:

Barry O'Mahony
01-06-2006, 12:26 PM
I looked at the link and the price for the 16' is $69.26 plus 10 for shipping. Where did you see the 39.94 price?

Amazon.com, although today the price is $44.99. Do a search on the site for ASIN number B00008WFT7.