PDA

View Full Version : Modded Felder K940S

Erik Loza
01-21-2021, 12:26 PM
Local customer’s shop:

-Tigerfence
-Custom fabricated dolly base
-Infeed and outfeed tables, leveled to saw, with built-in cabinet storage

Ordinarily, I do not reccommend mobility-type bases for sliding panel saws but this gentleman has a background in steel fabrication and it was rock-solid.

Erik

Jim Becker
01-21-2021, 3:10 PM
Wow..that's a VERY stout mobility solution! I guess the only thing that I would worry about normally would be an uneven floor, but that will not be an issue for the actual saw structure, for sure. Very nice setup they have.

Erik Loza
01-22-2021, 9:05 AM
Yeah: Only works because its a fresh, level slab.

Erik

Jim Becker
01-22-2021, 9:07 AM
Yeah: Only works because its a fresh, level slab.

Erik
I hope I can have that in a future shop, but I'm not going to hold my breath... :) :D

Mike Kees
01-22-2021, 10:35 AM
Jim it (Great concrete flatwork) is all about the RIGHT guy and his superbly trained crew doing the job. Ask 6-8 contractors in your area who THE guy is ,then hire him and pay whatever he quotes. In my area here there are 2-3 exceptional concrete finishers which is kind of rare, a lot of areas are not so lucky.

Jim Becker
01-22-2021, 1:59 PM
Yes, for new, that's how I'd proceed. I actually have "the guy" for that. But for existing, it's a little tougher row to hoe. Too soon to know what the future will bring.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-23-2021, 4:22 PM
I know my slab would definitely not accommodate that being mobile, but I'm going to borrow the outfeed table idea. Maybe the infeed too.

Jared Sankovich
01-23-2021, 4:56 PM
Ugh I wish my slab could accommodate that.. I have shims under every piece of equipment with 4 points of contact.

johnny means
01-23-2021, 5:28 PM
Sliders are one of the few machines that function really well with only three feet. I've always thought that companies like Felder are missing a layup there.

Mark e Kessler
01-23-2021, 10:29 PM
I don’t think I could live with those giant outriggers, I would be tripping over them all the time. I put mine on 4” adjustable feet, easy enough to move with a pallet jack. Looks like he is regretting not getting the xmotion option on the k940, wonder what the cost diff is xmotion vs tiger.

The options he needs to add now is a zci, nose for the fence and air clamps...

Pat Rice
01-24-2021, 6:41 AM
I don’t think I could live with those giant outriggers, I would be tripping over them all the time. I put mine on 4” adjustable feet, easy enough to move with a pallet jack. Looks like he is regretting not getting the xmotion option on the k940, wonder what the cost diff is xmotion vs tiger.

The options he needs to add now is a zci, nose for the fence and air clamps...

Mark, where did you get your 4” adjustable feet?

Erik Loza
01-24-2021, 11:47 AM
I don’t think I could live with those giant outriggers, I would be tripping over them all the time. I put mine on 4” adjustable feet, easy enough to move with a pallet jack. Looks like he is regretting not getting the xmotion option on the k940, wonder what the cost diff is xmotion vs tiger. The options he needs to add now is a zci, nose for the fence and air clamps...

Mark, you’re hilarious. Shocking as this might seem, some customers seem able to use our equipment perfectly fine, as it comes. I’m sure this gentleman could have purchased a Kappa 400X if he wanted but this saw has been a great fit for him. The Tigerfence came off his former slider. I actually suggested Mac’s clamps but in the customer’s words, “This is what works for me”.

Erik

Mark e Kessler
01-24-2021, 12:47 PM
Mark, where did you get your 4” adjustable feet?

McMaster carr. https://www.mcmaster.com/2531K128/

They really cut down on the min vibration that the k940 has,

Mark e Kessler
01-25-2021, 11:51 AM
Mark, you’re hilarious. Shocking as this might seem, some customers seem able to use our equipment perfectly fine, as it comes. I’m sure this gentleman could have purchased a Kappa 400X if he wanted but this saw has been a great fit for him. The Tigerfence came off his former slider. I actually suggested Mac’s clamps but in the customer’s words, “This is what works for me”.

Erik

Erik, what exactly is “hilarious”... I posted a response yesterday but it is missing... nothing shocking here, do you have something against increasing the usability, improving a design and making a piece of equipment as delivered? Obviously this customer did not want to use it as delivered he adding a mobile base to the saw and tiger fence. Or are you are you just trying to illustrate on this blog no one needs these extras and can just buy a piece of Felder equipment and use it?

Jim Becker
01-25-2021, 1:15 PM
Enough with getting personal here. Discuss. Question. Learn. But this is a community so how you say it matters. Please.

Jim
Forum Moderator

Mark e Kessler
01-25-2021, 2:24 PM
Not trying to get personal if you were directing that towards me, or was it Erik for his comments?

Thought I was discussing and asking a question to clarify Erik’s response, it’s a bit confusing to me that I post a few thoughtful well designed improvements/add ons on a post that also showed some add ons (on the same saw infact) and then am told I am “hilarious” and that it’s shocking that someone can use a piece of equipment as delivered. I mean is it hilarious that i would trip over the outrigger or hilarious that I added features to the saw that no one needs...

Warren Lake
01-25-2021, 2:53 PM
keep the improvement thoughts coming. Isolation between concrete and metal is a good thing.

Personally I cant stand the look of moveable bases on machines and never seen one I like. One friend in Windsor made one and I could maybe tolerate.

Erik Loza
01-25-2021, 3:02 PM
keep the improvement thoughts coming. Isolation between concrete and metal is a good thing.

Personally I cant stand the look of moveable bases on machines and never seen one I like. One friend in Windsor made one and I could maybe tolerate.

Warren, I agree: Mobility bases on sliders (or any big machine in general) are generally a hard "no" in my book but everyone has their own mojo. This gentleman happens to be on a perfect slab and also happens to be a skilled metal fabricator, so it all works. But I agree on principal. Most folks aren't as lucky.

Erik

Mark e Kessler
01-26-2021, 1:23 PM
Small detail I missed, the picture of the pneumatic clamps I posted are not Mac’s, I like to call them “Mark’s as I designed and built this version...