View Full Version : Stimulus Checks

Bruce Wrenn
01-20-2021, 9:24 PM
Because we file paper form taxes, our stimulus check comes by mail. IRS web site says "mailed Jan 6th. Today is the 20th, two weeks later. I'm wondering if "mailed" meant actually mailed, or processed for mailing. Two weeks seems a long time to me for a check to come from Washington DC to NC, a distance of less than 300 miles. PS, please refrain from suggesting to file electronically. There is a horror story to that thinking. Never again!

Ed Aumiller
01-20-2021, 9:40 PM
I recently sent a package Priority Mail from VA to Fl.... it took 2 1/2weeks to get there.. was supposed to be 2 days...

We are still waiting for Christmas orders from early Dec. that are somewhere in USPS...

Good luck...

William Chain
01-20-2021, 9:48 PM
We just received a package today that was mailed 2-day priority mail on Dec 17. Usps is a mess right now. I mailed a car loan payment on Dec 2. It only got cashed yesterday. Late fee waived and no penalties, but jeez.

Rob Damon
01-21-2021, 1:03 AM
We are getting utility bills in the mail two days after they are suppose to be due. These statements used to come in two weeks before they are due.
It also maybe that the local utilities are sending them out late so they make you start paying them online or on auto-pay to save them the paperwork and postage.

My job accounting department deposits paychecks electronically but also sends us a duplicate paper copy via mail. These use to show up the day before or the day of payday. Now they show up 3-4 days after payday.

We file paper taxes as well. If the stimulus check shows before March 1, I will be surprised. It comes when it comes.

Not as bad as a few years ago. In-laws sent a Christmas package from Virginia to Austria in last week of October. It never showed up. The in-laws went to visit in May of the following year for two weeks. The day they were planning to fly to the back to the States, the package arrived, seven months later. It had went via ship from the USA to "Australia", back to the USA and then to "Austria."

Jim Koepke
01-21-2021, 2:03 AM
Because we file paper form taxes, our stimulus check comes by mail. IRS web site says "mailed Jan 6th. Today is the 20th, two weeks later. I'm wondering if "mailed" meant actually mailed, or processed for mailing. Two weeks seems a long time to me for a check to come from Washington DC to NC, a distance of less than 300 miles. PS, please refrain from suggesting to file electronically. There is a horror story to that thinking. Never again!

My understanding is taxes do not have to be filed electronically to have the payment direct deposited.

If you file with paper and have direct deposit for any return then the stimulus payment is also direct deposited.

Surely there are many who enjoy a good horror story. :confused:

Surely it is exciting to have extra money show up in my account, though personally my income hasn't been affected during the past year. My feeling is it might be better to direct it toward those who have been unemployed or have had earnings cut.

In our case we tend to give it to our kids who have had hours cut or not be able to keep working.

jtk

Lisa Starr
01-21-2021, 5:06 AM
For the first round of stimulus checks, you could logon to the website and provide bank account information even if you had not provided such info to the IRS prior. It was durable, so our 2nd stimulus payments showed up in the account January 4th. I don't know if you can still do that.

Jason Roehl
01-21-2021, 5:24 AM
According to my accountant daughter, the first round of stimulus was based on your 2018 taxes (which was a direct-deposit refund). The second round of stimulus was based on 2019 taxes (on which we paid a large-to-us sum, so no DD info was on the return—a check was mailed).

In other words, if you had DD info on your tax return for 2018, the stimulus was e-deposited, otherwise it was mailed. If you had DD info on your 2019 return, the stimulus was e-deposited, otherwise mailed. With both, I think you could have entered your DD info on the IRS website and gotten e-deposit stimulus regardless of what was on your return.

George Bokros
01-21-2021, 7:27 AM
According to my accountant daughter, the first round of stimulus was based on your 2018 taxes (which was a direct-deposit refund). The second round of stimulus was based on 2019 taxes (on which we paid a large-to-us sum, so no DD info was on the return—a check was mailed).

In other words, if you had DD info on your tax return for 2018, the stimulus was e-deposited, otherwise it was mailed. If you had DD info on your 2019 return, the stimulus was e-deposited, otherwise mailed. With both, I think you could have entered your DD info on the IRS website and gotten e-deposit stimulus regardless of what was on your return.

We usually have to pay and did on our 2018 return. For 2019 we got a refund (unusual since I always prefer to pay) which was direct deposited. BOTH stimulus checks were direct deposited.

Lee Schierer
01-21-2021, 7:44 AM
According to the IRS website if you filed in 2019 and had a refund sent by direct deposit that is how you received the first and will receive the second check. If you had to close or change your bank account, the check will still go to your old account. You cannot, for security reasons, update your bank account any way except to file your 2020 taxes.

Our income has not been affected by all of this and when the second check shows up it will go to help local charities that are helping those that have been affected the same as the first one did.

Brian Elfert
01-21-2021, 7:53 AM
My stimulus check also showed mailed on the 6th. I got the check on the 11th or 12th.

The IRS was much more prepared this time. They had money going out within a week or so of the bill being signed.

lowell holmes
01-21-2021, 9:22 AM
I have no confidence that we will ever see it. It is all balderdash.

George Bokros
01-21-2021, 10:12 AM
I have no confidence that we will ever see it. It is all balderdash.

Are you sure it isn't flapdoodle?

Bill Dufour
01-21-2021, 10:50 AM
It is not a check. It is a debit card in a envelope that looks like junk mail. Are you sure you did not throw it out? It is not from the government or a bank, so easy to toss.
Bill D.

Jim Koepke
01-21-2021, 11:37 AM
It is not a check. It is a debit card in a envelope that looks like junk mail. Are you sure you did not throw it out? It is not from the government or a bank, so easy to toss.
Bill D.

When ever there is something stiff in a piece of mail, it is checked before tossing it to the recycling bin. The plastic cards are not good for the recyclers. They do make good scrapers in the kitchen for cleaning glass baking pans. They are also good in the shop for shims, spreading and/or scraping glue. There are a few in my bedroom used for bookmarks or shoe horns. They are aslo good for scraping frost off of car windows on cold mornings.

jtk

Mike Henderson
01-21-2021, 12:08 PM
Surely it is exciting to have extra money show up in my account, though personally my income hasn't been affected during the past year. My feeling is it might be better to direct it toward those who have been unemployed or have had earnings cut.

jtk

I agree. Additionally, sending money to people who don't need it means that they generally don't spend it so it doesn't stimulate the economy. But I suppose trying to determine who the people are "who really need it" is extremely difficult so they just send it to everyone.

One way might be to increase the unemployment insurance payments. Those payments are almost certain to be spent.

Mike

Jerome Stanek
01-21-2021, 1:32 PM
Bill D.

Mine was a check in an envelope got it last week

Jim Becker
01-21-2021, 2:48 PM
Bill D.
My understanding is that they are not using the debit cards for this round. But the previous one was from an bank that specializes in the same...just not one that most folks recognized as such.

Bruce Wrenn
01-21-2021, 8:34 PM
In the grocery store today, gentleman in front of me told cashier "If I had my check already, I would be buying more groceries. He said his showed as mailed on Jan 6th, same as ours. I have a feeling that government's definition of mailed and mine aren't the same. Reminds me of here in NC where a few years back, they had to refund state taxes on Federal pensions. So they mailed them on Dec 31st, along with a 1099 and instructions for going back and adjusting taxes in prior years. Being mailed on Dec 31st, meant NO ONE RECEIVED them in that year, but taxes were due for that year.

Jim Koepke
01-22-2021, 2:32 AM
A few things come to mind on mailed checks.

Almost every online retailer using USPS has a banner warning of delays because of staff and facilities being effected by illness.

There are also other problems at the post office.

My recollection of the days when my refunds were a check they were always delivered on Saturdays. This was because more people were likely to be home on Saturdays and it cut down on checks being stolen. That could be the situation now if the USPS has been asked to deliver them only on Saturdays.

jtk

Ronald Blue
01-23-2021, 11:38 AM

Ours was also mailed and came yesterday the 22nd. Still confused as to why it was mailed when we do everything electronically as far as taxes are concerned.

Stephen Rosenthal
01-23-2021, 12:13 PM
Mine indicated mailed on January 6 as well but still haven’t received it. I file electronically via Turbo Tax. No idea why but it has allegedly caused problems with the Stimulus Check distribution. First round I eventually got a paper check which was delayed because it had to be reprinted when Trump insisted it bear his signature. That’s not the case this time so the only explanation is slow mail service. There is a provision to get it as a refund on your tax form if you don’t receive it.

Brian Elfert
01-23-2021, 2:01 PM
Ours was also mailed and came yesterday the 22nd. Still confused as to why it was mailed when we do everything electronically as far as taxes are concerned.

if you have to pay in they won’t pay by direct deposit even if you paid electronically. The IRS says that you only authorized money out of your account, not money into your account.

Ronald Blue
01-23-2021, 10:14 PM
if you have to pay in they won’t pay by direct deposit even if you paid electronically. The IRS says that you only authorized money out of your account, not money into your account.

The April 2020 payment was direct deposit.

Bernie Kopfer
01-24-2021, 4:59 PM
Our income has not been affected by all of this and when the second check shows up it will go to help local charities that are helping those that have been affected the same as the first one did.

Thank you! Sending stimulus checks to many of us making too much is a waste. Those who do not have needs frequently just save the money. The money is intended to be spent, primarily on goods and services to stimulate the economy, not saving accounts.

Jason Roehl
01-25-2021, 5:17 AM
Thank you! Sending stimulus checks to many of us making too much is a waste. Those who do not have needs frequently just save the money. The money is intended to be spent, primarily on goods and services to stimulate the economy, not saving accounts.

Unless you just cash it and stuff your mattress with it, saving it is stimulus—whether it’s in a bank account or as an investment, that allows someone else to borrow money to buy a house or start a business, or for a business to expand its operations. It’s just a lot more indirect.

Rob Damon
01-25-2021, 5:32 PM
IRS website indicated my was mailed Jan. 6. Mine just came in today, 19 days later. So they are still hope for everyone. It was in check format.

Brian Elfert
01-25-2021, 8:23 PM
I find it interesting that my check was also mailed on Jan 6th, but I had the check in hand five or six days later.

Dave Lehnert
01-25-2021, 9:21 PM
Bill D.we received a check in the mail.

Bill McNiel
01-25-2021, 9:56 PM

Good on ya Lee!

When Covid started causing shutdowns, business closures and massive layoffs Linda & I lowered the rent to our tenants down to the properties mortgage levels. When the first Stimulus Checks arrived we used the windfall money to further lower the rents for the next 3 months. We will do this again when the current checks arrive. The only Covid impact to our income was/is the reduction of rental income and we firmly believe that it would be morally reprehensible to not pass the National relief along to folks who really need it to survive more than we do. We believe that this action is an integral part of being a citizen and neighbor.

Regards - Bill

Alex Zeller
01-25-2021, 11:40 PM
Mine ended up in my bank account just when they said it would. I don't need it so I'll spend it just like I spent the last one. Right now spending it also supports the country. Even though I don't have to and the pandemic actually has increased business where I work I have cut back some on spending. Instead I've focused on paying down debt. I think it's better for consumers to decide which businesses should make it more than the federal government. The problem is that the cut off of is kind of low. $75k isn't that much depending on where you live and the amount drops pretty fast above it.

Kev Williams
01-26-2021, 12:46 AM
My understanding is that they are not using the debit cards for this round. But the previous one was from an bank that specializes in the same...just not one that most folks recognized as such.
-- last time we got checks, Saturday this showed up--
One of two I'm assuming- seems they are still using debit cards!
No rhyme or reason I guess.

Jim Becker
01-26-2021, 8:37 AM
-- last time we got checks, Saturday this showed up--
One of two I'm assuming- seems they are still using debit cards!
No rhyme or reason I guess.

I guess the information I read was incorrect, Kev. At least you can easily transfer that money out lickety-split into your regular checking account. You do not have to actually use the debit card. :)

Bruce Wrenn
01-28-2021, 9:10 PM
Well everybody should have theirs, as ours came today. In the first round, we were one of the last to receive check. Must have something to do with last name beginning with a "W." Been at the back of the line all my life just because last name begins with "W."

Derek Meyer
01-29-2021, 4:08 PM
I haven't received mine yet. I was part of the electronic deposit fiasco that the IRS screwed up. I got an email from TaxAct, where I e-filed last year, that they worked out a deal with the IRS to have everyone's stimulus deposited by the 31st of January. I'm not holding my breath.

I received the first stimulus last year on April 6th via direct deposit. I'm not sure what is different this time around.

Zachary Hoyt
01-29-2021, 4:56 PM
I got mine by direct deposit in the spring, but the last one didn't come. The IRS lost the paper return I filed, and I had to send another copy recently. I know they got it initially because they cashed the check last February. I know they have had a lot of staffing trouble during COVID, and this year I am going to e-file.

Bill McNiel
02-01-2021, 3:09 PM
Just received ours, cash card this time versus checks last year.

George Bokros
02-01-2021, 4:09 PM
There seems to be no consistency in how some are receiving theirs. We had direct deposit both times, should be interesting how the next one may come.

Bruce Wrenn
02-01-2021, 8:28 PM
There seems to be no consistency in how some are receiving theirs. We had direct deposit both times, should be interesting how the next one may come.

Lets hope there is some way developed to get them to those who really need it. Our income hasn't changed but everything we buy, including property taxes, has gone up.

George Bokros
02-02-2021, 7:25 AM
Our income hasn't changed but everything we buy, including property taxes, has gone up.

This is a fact. Stop and think about all the retail that are having employees shop for you such as the grocery chains where shoppers will do your entire shopping for you and there is no charge for this service. Guess who is paying for this....me and everyone else who does their own shopping.

Thomas L Carpenter
02-02-2021, 9:00 AM
Just received mine yesterday, 2/1.

Lee Schierer
02-02-2021, 1:08 PM
This is a fact. Stop and think about all the retail that are having employees shop for you such as the grocery chains where shoppers will do your entire shopping for you and there is no charge for this service. Guess who is paying for this....me and everyone else who does their own shopping.

I don't think so. Where we shop (Wegmans and Giant Eagle), the prices are the same if you get it curb side via a shopper or go in and put in your cart yourself. If you go directly through instacart, the prices are slightly higher.

Bruce Wrenn
02-02-2021, 8:32 PM

Here, you pay an annual fee for such services. Similar in cost to Amazon Prime. Same idea goes for "cash customers," esp at gas stations. Those who use cash, pay full price while those using CC get some kind of rebate, meaning they pay less than cash customer. Shouldn't it be the other way around. It's another case of it doesn't pay to be poor in America, it COSTS!

Jim Koepke
02-03-2021, 1:07 AM
Here, you pay an annual fee for such services. Similar in cost to Amazon Prime. Same idea goes for "cash customers," esp at gas stations. Those who use cash, pay full price while those using CC get some kind of rebate, meaning they pay less than cash customer. Shouldn't it be the other way around. It's another case of it doesn't pay to be poor in America, it COSTS!

In today's world there may be more problems for a retailer having cash on hand. Compared to a system that puts money in the bank without having the hassle of moving the cash around.

Not everybody gets a rebate using a credit card. People are fooled into the idea of spending money is going to make them money.

jtk

Jim Becker
02-03-2021, 9:35 AM
The CC rebates are from the card issuer's program. That's the reason that Professor Dr. SWMBO and I rarely ever use cash...I went for nearly a month recently without any on my person because I didn't realize the little I normally carry was gone. We use multiple cards and choose the best for a given purchase. We also pay them off in total monthly...never any balances and no interest. (I combine with Rakuten ... formerly EBates ... to lower end cost even more on many online purchases) But I will agree that there is a large number of folks who unfortunately don't qualify for or can't use CC responsibility miss out on the advantages of these points/rebate programs.

John Stankus
02-03-2021, 11:33 AM
Pre-pandemic I was a mostly cash for paying at restaurants and the like.... Last time I got money out of an ATM was last March (and I still have most of it in my wallet :-) )
I had been very resistant to self-check out, pay-pal, and putting everything on the credit card... Now, not so much.

Jim Becker
02-03-2021, 3:27 PM
I'm a fan of touchless card use and ApplePay to keep my hands off the terminal whenever I can. It's nice that ApplePay works with my Apple Watch, too, so I don't have to deal with typing in my lock code on the phone because the mask. Just waive my wrist over the terminal like a magic wand and the deal is done. :) :D

John Stankus
02-03-2021, 5:16 PM
I'm a fan of touchless card use and ApplePay to keep my hands off the terminal whenever I can. It's nice that ApplePay works with my Apple Watch, too, so I don't have to deal with typing in my lock code on the phone because the mask. Just waive my wrist over the terminal like a magic wand and the deal is done. :) :D

Set that up too. I just wish more stores used the touchless pay, and that there was a good directory of those that do.

Jim Becker
02-03-2021, 7:32 PM
It's starting to appear on gas pumps now, too, John. Our Costco just turned on the touchless feature recently as well as switched to a chip reader for folks who want to insert the card. Touchless is going to be a similar situation with many businesses like has been the case for a chip reader, particularly for smaller businesses that "own" their readers and don't want to spend the money to upgrade again. There are a lot of existing terminals, however, that actually can do touchless if it was only turned on in the software...which means not just supporting cards, but also smartphone payments from Apple, Google, etc.

Of course, this has gotten far afield from the original topic of this thread. LOL

Alex Zeller
02-06-2021, 2:27 PM
Mobile has had touchless pumps for more than a decade. My father who passed away in 2010 had one of their things on his keychain. I think it's called speed pass. Just wave it in front of the pump and start pumping. Of course you have to touch the pump handle.

Jim Matthews
02-06-2021, 2:55 PM
Same idea goes for "cash customers," esp at gas stations. Those who use cash, pay full price while those using CC get some kind of rebate, meaning they pay less than cash customer.

All my local gas stations still offer cash discounts. Credit card purchase are typically priced 3 - 4 cents more per gallon.

Shouldn't it be the other way around. It's another case of it doesn't pay to be poor in America, it COSTS!

While it's true that bring "unbanked" in America means more fees for larger transactions, it does not follow that a rebate to CC holders comes at the expense of other customers - more likely it's designed to drive more users to increase sales.

It also bears mentioning that most gas stations break even on gasoline - it's their concessions that generate profit.

https://www.cardrates.com/reviews/prepaid-debit/

Frederick Skelly
02-06-2021, 3:31 PM
Earlier today I read something ... odd ... in passing. And my google-foo failed me when I searched for more info a few minutes ago......

Are prison inmates actually getting stimulus checks?
If so, could someone explain why? If this is true, I'm missing the thinking behind it.

Thanks all.
Fred

Brian Elfert
02-06-2021, 3:34 PM
I like the tap to pay, but I certainly would not go out of my way to only shop at a store that has tap to pay activated. Yes, we are in a pandemic, but there are a thousands other touch points in a store to soil your hands. Besides, some stores sanitize the reader after every customer, and you are only touching your card, not the reader, most of the time. Sure, other people have inserted their card, but how likely is that to contaminate your card?

I had a warranty repair done at a dealer and they needed a credit card for the loaner car deposit. The cashier sanitized my card before giving it back and used the sanitized towel to hand the card back to me.

Jim Koepke
02-06-2021, 4:03 PM
Earlier today I read something ... odd ... in passing. And my google-foo failed me when I searched for more info a few minutes ago......

If so, could someone explain why? If this is true, I'm missing the thinking behind it.

Thanks all.
Fred

From > https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/people-who-are-in-prison-can-get-a-stimulus-check-but-theres-a-catch-what-to-know-today/

A federal judge has ordered the IRS to issue stimulus checks to eligible people even if they're incarcerated. People who are in prison and jail are eligible to qualify for the first stimulus check of up to $1,200 per adult, but with the tight Nov. 4 deadline to file physical paperwork now passed, inmates have until Nov. 21 to file an online claim with the IRS. It is not clear how many people who are incarcerated will be able to access these online forms. Internet access is often limited in prison and rules vary from state to state.

It isn't the thinking it is how the system works. If the person filed a tax return for 2019, they may actually get a deposit in their bank, a check or a credit card. If it gets to them in prison is another matter. It may not get to them until they do some paper work.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
02-06-2021, 5:32 PM
Thanks Jim. That's the background I was looking for.
Fred

Brian Elfert
02-06-2021, 6:29 PM
We have one gas station around here that the touchless reader appears to process your card, but the pump always says card declined or similar. The same card works fine with the regular card reader. Stations should just turn off the touchless reader if it doesn't work. Most pumps with the touchless reader have them turned off. I swear half the pumps will be obsolete before they get the chip reader and touchless reader working. Some of the pumps have had the new readers for several years sitting unused.

Jim Becker
02-06-2021, 6:43 PM
Some touchless readers are "picky". The food market I do our weekly shopping in (one our older daughter is employed by) has readers that just don't like the VISA card we use for that kind of purchase, but my AMEX is no issue and neither is another VISA card I carry. The preferred one works just fine touchless in Wegman's when I hit there about once a month for things not available elsewhere.

You are correct about the pump obsolescence, depending on when they were installed. Some were pre-equipped for chips and for touchless and onlly had to have it turned on in sofware. Others needed new hardware. Ching....ching...

Jim Matthews
02-06-2021, 7:39 PM

Two things - there are *many* detained while awaiting trial who have not been convicted of any crime.

IRS guidelines promulgated eligibility for the stimulus, and listed prohibited classes.

However, the CARES act did not specifically delegate authority to the IRS to determine eligibility.
Congress did amend the language to exclude dispensing funds to the deceased, so it clearly understood this when drafting the legislation as it specifically prohibited inmates from receiving stimulus money in 2009.

Thanks all.
Fred

What is not widely known is that while incarcerated, many prisoners are charged for "services rendered" during their sentence. At prison wages, most come up short particularly in States that charge prisoners for medical care. The inability of prisoners and their families to afford these charges often leads to "compassionate discharge" so the prison system need not cover costs of older, sicker inmates no longer able to work.

The objective appears to be an attempt to lift the burden of families related to prisoners, as the IRS demanded and received returns of direct payments to prisoners in the first mailing.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shaharziv/2021/01/06/prisoners-eligible-for-600-stimulus-checks-stimulus-bill-language-doesnt-exclude-them/?sh=238e3faa465f

Mike Henderson
02-06-2021, 10:17 PM
In today's world there may be more problems for a retailer having cash on hand. Compared to a system that puts money in the bank without having the hassle of moving the cash around.
jtk

While certainly not true of large companies, many small businesses under-report their cash sales. It saves them both sales tax payments and income tax.

The IRS has guidelines as to how much a company will usually do in cash sales (by type of business). If the business falls far below that the IRS will "impute" an amount of cash sales and just charge the small business for that amount. The small business would have to refute the amount "imputed".

Mike

Mel Fulks
02-06-2021, 11:23 PM
Well, it's pretty easy to google up lots of big companies that have been caught cheating on taxes.

Bruce Wrenn
02-07-2021, 2:50 PM
A local barber got in trouble over towel usage. He used a linen service for towels. IRS agent comes in and get a haircut (more than once.) Counts number of towels used. Contacts linen service and get average daily usage for last year. Compares that to income reported on taxes. BUSTED! Laundry mats and self service car washes are almost exclusively cash. So IRS checks to see how much water the machines use per cycle, then compares that to recent water bills.

Brian Elfert
02-07-2021, 3:08 PM
With all the IRS cuts you probably have a better chance of hit by lightning than being audited.

I worked for a small business for about nine months where the owner was totally evading taxes. She should have spent some time in federal prison. She was running pretty much every personal expense through the business and claiming it all as business expenses. There are lots of small businesses that the owner has a vehicle paid for by the business. There may/may not be a business need for the owner to have a vehicle for the business. A lot of owners use that company vehicle for all of their driving and expense all vehicle expenses. Legally, a company vehicle cannot be used for personal use unless the personal use is reported for tax purposes.

Brian Elfert
02-07-2021, 3:12 PM
A local barber got in trouble over towel usage. He used a linen service for towels. IRS agent comes in and get a haircut (more than once.) Counts number of towels used. Contacts linen service and get average daily usage for last year. Compares that to income reported on taxes. BUSTED! Laundry mats and self service car washes are almost exclusively cash. So IRS checks to see how much water the machines use per cycle, then compares that to recent water bills.

A local fair charges a percentage of revenues for food/drink vendors. A report of revenue and payment of the fair's cut is due every day of the fair. The fair has undercover auditors who go around and monitor vendor sales to determine if they are reporting all of their sales. The vendors probably have an incentive to be honest as they might lose their coveted vending spot if they cheat.