PDA

View Full Version : MATCHFIT Dovetail Clamps

Ed Edwards
01-19-2021, 8:19 PM
I was just surfing the net when I came across the MATCHFIT Dovetail Clamps for the first time. I don't think I was under a rock for any length of time, BUT??. The concept is very interesting. Not so much, for me anyway, are cutting a bunch of dovetails, but those green round caps for clamping have got me intrigued!
My main question is, has anyone used this system, has it been out there awhile or what.
Questions, questions, curious minds need to know.
Thanks, Ed

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51udhJZQUML._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Paul F Franklin
01-19-2021, 8:33 PM
I've been planning to do post on a jig I made using the system. But here's a photo as an appetizer:

That pic shows my jig set up to let me cut multiple accurately placed domino mortises on 16 legs for two desks I'm building.

I think it's a great system for multipurpose jigs like the one in the pic. If you decide to jump in, do use either a table saw with dado or router and straight bit to plow out most of the waste before using the dovetail bit.

Frederick Skelly
01-19-2021, 8:43 PM
I've been planning to do post on a jig I made using the system.

That pic shows my jig set up to let me cut multiple accurately placed domino mortises on 16 legs for two desks I'm building.

I think it's a great system for multipurpose jigs like the one in the pic. If you decide to jump in, do use either a table saw with dado or router and straight bit to plow out most of the waste before using the dovetail bit.

I got a set for Christmas but havent even opened the box yet. Will look forwward to your upcoming post! I know Derek Cohen speaks well of them too.

Bernie Kopfer
01-19-2021, 10:21 PM
Great for tall fences on TS, BS, and router table. That’s for starters.

glenn bradley
01-20-2021, 9:52 AM
I use matchfit here and there for odd things. I use it primarily for my cross cut table saw.

This gives me a safe way to cut all sorts of odd angles on smaller stock along with an initial straight cut on questionable panels of reasonable size.

matt romanowski
01-20-2021, 12:38 PM
I have them and think they are great. They make jigs very easy and fast. I have a taper sled - well a piece of 3/4 plywood 11x36 with the grooves in both directions. Using the hardware from them, I put stops on with scrap pieces of plywood, the clamps to hold the piece, and get a jig for any angle. It's also good for straight line cuts when you need it. I also use it with jigs for routing patterns instead of Destaco clamps. I also made a basic plywood box for work holding and use the clamps on it. I really like them.

Mike Rambour
01-20-2021, 2:07 PM
just make sure your router table fence does not move when cutting the last dovetail slot :). I guess I didn't lock it down all the way and now have one slot that is useless.

glenn bradley
01-20-2021, 2:17 PM
just make sure your router table fence does not move when cutting the last dovetail slot :). I guess I didn't lock it down all the way and now have one slot that is useless.

Epoxy and a re-cut?

Dave Seng
01-20-2021, 5:50 PM

I knew that Cisco made routers but that's the first Cisco tablesaw I've seen:D

Jim Dwight
01-21-2021, 3:50 PM
I have some but I literally have never used them. I can see they would be useful for some things but I haven't taken the time to cut the dovetail groove for them in any jigs so far.

Curt Putnam
01-21-2021, 6:12 PM
I made my drill press table & fence using the system. None of it is what I would call heavy duty but appears to more than adequate for jig use.

Johnny Barr
01-22-2021, 5:19 PM
OK I'll add a negative personal view.
A dovetail slot is limited to what clamps, bolts and fixtures you can use. You have basically got to use Microjig's. T-Track or equivalents on the other hand give you access to clamps from Bessey, Kreg, Armor tool etc (or make your own ) and some of these clamps have auto adjust technology and they swivel 360 degrees which means you don't need as many slots. For example, I've seen drill press tables and crosscut sleds (see photo above) that have 10 dovetail slots or more where as my drill press table has two T-track slots which covers the movement of the fence as well as hold downs. Where I come from T-Track is not expensive but if you do find it expensive then you can make your own using a router bit(s) and still have access to all those clamps I mentioned above. A slot for a purchased T-Track can also be made with a dado stack. T-Track also allows the use of ordinary bolts and T-bolts costing well below a $1 compared with Microjig's bolts costing a few dollars. Yes you can use the common bolts in a dovetail slot but I would imagine over time they would degrade the slot. I guess you could use an angle grinder to shape these bolts into a dovetail that would fit more snuggly. Even things like sacrificial fences on a table saw can use inexpensive universal clamps where you simply drill a hole rather than routing out a slot.
I can see some uses for dovetail slots and I know some users love them but in my case I find T-tracks or equivalents and their clamps/bolts far more versatile and way less expensive.

glenn bradley
01-22-2021, 5:41 PM

They're great; MTBF is 44 years :D:D:D

I have some but I literally have never used them. I can see they would be useful for some things but I haven't taken the time to cut the dovetail groove for them in any jigs so far.

My mailing address is . . .

Dan Rude
01-22-2021, 7:11 PM
Micro-Jig recently came out with a clamp pad called the "X-PAD" that can be used to clamp odd shapes or at small angles. I bought 4 of them, they seem to work. I am the process of building a new sled to use them. ​Dan

glenn bradley
01-25-2021, 8:00 AM
OK I'll add a negative personal view.

In the pros and cons department I have a lot of t-track and t-track fixtures. They aren't going anywhere. The Matchfit clamps are not inexpensive but, the 5 clamps I have and a few of their plastic, studs and nuts don't begin to add up to the t-track fixtures I have.

If I were starting from scratch I might start with Matchfit and see how far it would take me. The 360 degree swiveling, auto-adjust, toggle clamps that ride in t-track are hard to beat but, they don't come cheap either. Suffice to say I have t-track (I try to stick to the 'universal' profile that takes 1/4" and 5/16"), t-slots cut into fixtures, a plethora of t-track fixtures along with the Matchfit stuff and I benefit from all of it. The few Incra things I have bug a little since they run 1/4" hardware only that sometimes seems a little light for the job. Overall both systems are beneficial and both work well.

Jim Becker
01-25-2021, 9:42 AM
LOL...my nemesis for many years.

richard poitras
01-25-2021, 10:40 AM
I think t-track works good and so does the Matchfit. But with t- track your limited to what you have on hand or want to use, were as with the MF dove tail groves it can be cut to size and length and then cut up and discarded (sacrificial jigs and such) with no cost (once you have the system ) and if you don’t have any t-track laying around (when you need it) you just make the MF groves for that application. So in my eyes I see a use for both.

Richard

Dave Seng
01-25-2021, 11:26 AM
LOL...my nemesis for many years.
As long as we don't have to do firmware upgrades on our tools, I'm good. If that day ever comes, I'm going back to handtools.

Jim Becker
01-25-2021, 1:16 PM
As long as we don't have to do firmware upgrades on our tools, I'm good. If that day ever comes, I'm going back to handtools.

Well...CNC... LOL

Alan Kalker
01-25-2021, 11:33 PM
I've also just recently seen the Matchfit system- they are advertising heavily on Instagram. The use of an adjustable height sit stand table is intriguing as it can serve many purposes and is mobile. I'm thinking of making one. But, I wonder about its stability. Has anyone built one of these mobile workbenches?
The dovetail system also looks interesting but I would have a concern about it being a sawdust catcher. Probably no more than a T slot system catches sawdust but no less either. My T slots are always getting jammed up. They're easy to clean with the vacuum but a disruptive annoyance to the workflow nonetheless.

Johnny Barr
01-26-2021, 4:31 AM
I think t-track works good and so does the Matchfit. But with t- track your limited to what you have on hand or want to use, were as with the MF dove tail groves it can be cut to size and length and then cut up and discarded (sacrificial jigs and such) with no cost (once you have the system ) and if you don’t have any t-track laying around (when you need it) you just make the MF groves for that application. So in my eyes I see a use for both.

Richard

If you don't have any T-track laying around then you can make your own T-slot with a router bit (similar to dovetail slots) or a combination of router bits or gluing boards on top of each other as in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxNS9ulGlpo

jeff oldham
01-27-2021, 9:57 AM
i like the clamps but in all honestly i personally think they are too expensive,,,its more of a gimic than anything else,,that being said i dont like the gripper either,,i had one and called mine the slipper,,i sold mine for 30 dollars,,,but i will say micro jig customer service is top notch,,,i called them about the gripper and told them mine was the slipper and they sent me new pads free of charge and was very polite and said they hated i had that trouble with their product,,but needless to say it was no better,,,so i sold it,,,

Paul F Franklin
01-28-2021, 1:18 PM
Regarding expense: you can get 4 of the original design clamps for $90 which doesn't seem that bad to me. Especially when you consider the clamps can be used like the Festool quick clamp...slide the foot through a hole in a MFT type top and clamp whatever you want, in addition to being used with the dovetail slots. They are not quite as spiffy as the festool clamp, but at roughly half the price are fully functional and easy to use in that manner.

John M Wilson
01-28-2021, 7:54 PM
...the clamps can be used like the Festool quick clamp...slide the foot through a hole in a MFT type top and clamp whatever you want, in addition to being used with the dovetail slots. They are not quite as spiffy as the festool clamp, but at roughly half the price are fully functional and easy to use in that manner.

That's what I use mine for! I'm sure I'll get around to cutting the dovetail slots into some jigs (someday)... but for now, they work great with my Paulk MFT style workbench!

Tom Bain
01-30-2021, 8:51 PM
Regarding expense: you can get 4 of the original design clamps for $90 which doesn't seem that bad to me. Especially when you consider the clamps can be used like the Festool quick clamp...slide the foot through a hole in a MFT type top and clamp whatever you want, in addition to being used with the dovetail slots. They are not quite as spiffy as the festool clamp, but at roughly half the price are fully functional and easy to use in that manner.

Does anyone know if the reverse is also true ... that is, do the Festool clamps work in the dovetail slots in the same way the match fit clamps do?