PDA

View Full Version : Shop Lighting?

Andrew Wayland
01-19-2021, 7:22 AM
I’m seeing far more of those deformable lights popping up in stores. Has anybody had any experience with those, versus standard 4’ LED shop lights?

Frank Pratt
01-19-2021, 9:51 AM
Deformable?

Andrew Wayland
01-19-2021, 10:42 AM
Deformable?

It’s what they’re calling the new LED lights that have a standard Bulb Base, but LED panels that you adjust.

They replace a light bulb, but have LED arrays on panels.

Jim Becker
01-19-2021, 10:46 AM
For a workshop space, you want "big light distribution", so strips/panels have been the go-to for that. I'd be cautious about how even you can get the light to spread from the type of lamps you are asking about. I will say that the round panels I just used to replace some halogen can lights in our pantry are unbelievable and I have seen them used effectively in ceiling applications for general lighting. Calculating how many are necessary and the best spacing will be the the key for a shop space. The 6" versions are "very bright".

Jay Kepley
01-19-2021, 11:40 AM
I'm working on a shop light design now for my garage workshop. I reached out to American Green Lights because I had seen several YouTube folks install these lights. I was astounded at the attention and help I received from Jim Uno. These lights are not inexpensive, but I believe they would be a worthy investment. I'm almost 62, and I need more light than a younger person. These lights show color accurately (indicated by a high CRI or color rendering index). Good luck in this process.

Frank Pratt
01-19-2021, 2:21 PM
The larger area the light source, the less glare & shadowing there will be. Linear or flat panel fixtures will give you a much nicer lighting experience.

Ron Selzer
01-19-2021, 4:25 PM
I have one in the garage, 2 in one part of the basement, and installed two in a garage at work. Definitely better than an incandescent lamp even 300 watt
If starting from scratch not certain which way i would go between keyless porcelain with these or 4' strip led
I think ether one would be a good choice as long as you spaced them out properly based on the lumens output of each fixture
Ron