PDA

View Full Version : Who would you most like to take a class from

Chris Barton
01-05-2006, 9:00 AM
I am very fortunate in that I live an easy drive away from the Arrowmont School, John C. Campbell School and Tennessee Tech's Center for Arts and Crafts and have many options of classes available and master turners from whom to chose for a class instructor. Given that I would consider myself an "intermediate" level turner I am actively considering one of the "advanced" woodturning classes from one of these schools. But, if you were going to do a week of imersion instruction in woodturning, who would you most want for your instructor? Most of the "big" names come to these schools but, I have yet to decide who would be my first choice as an instructor. I enjoy watching Dave Hout on "woodturning Basics" on DIY but, I also like Nick Cook, Alan Lacer, David Marks ... Who would be your first choice and why?

Raymond Overman
01-05-2006, 9:05 AM
Bin Pho or Alan Stirt. Both are doing amazing things with their turnings and I think that it could be applied at so many different levels. Bin Pho's forms, thinness, and the airbrushing could be applied seperately and still make a stunning piece. Alan Stirt's pieces are beautiful forms and the textures he uses make it art.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-05-2006, 9:10 AM
I would take a class from our very own Bill G because I really like his work and would like to do some of the same.

Probably doesn't help much as I don't know if he attends those schools.

Dennis Peacock
01-05-2006, 9:14 AM
Bill Grumbine
Michael Stafford
Alan Lacer
And for flat-work boxes and just because he's not far from me, Doug Stowe.
Just remember the "Box Master - Mr. Stafford"....I'd like to hang out with him for both round and flat box making. :D

Pete Kekel
01-05-2006, 9:49 AM
This year at Arrowmont, if I had the time and money, I'd take classes from Cindy Drozda (March), Matthew Hill (August), the 2-week class w/ Graeme Priddle (June), or just for fun I'd like to take the spoon carving class with Barry Gordon in April.

Jim Becker
01-05-2006, 9:52 AM
As much as I'd like to take a class with ANY of these well-know folks, I'd also jump at the chance to spend time with David Ellsworth again. I felt very comfortable with him and loved his methodologies.

Joe Horne
01-05-2006, 10:28 AM
I agree with Jim. In no particular order, my top 3 would be;

David Ellsworth
Bill Grumbine
Richard Raffin

Andy Hoyt
01-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Ken Fitzgerald ------ for how to shamlessly avoid the dark side in public view

and these guys too

Travis Stinson ----- for hollow forms
Bill Grumbine ------- for technique
Big Mike Stafford --- for boxes
Stephen Hatcher --- for art
Jim Ketron --------- for jig making
Carole Valentine --- for itty bitty stuff

This is gonna be a looooooong list.... so I'll just stop here.

Lee DeRaud
01-05-2006, 10:40 AM
David Marks

I've never seen a turning class on his schedule, but he certainly has the chops for it:
look at the stuff at http://www.djmarks.com/sculptures.asp.

Mark Cothren
01-05-2006, 11:18 AM
I'd take a ww'ing/turning class from just about anybody if I had the chance...

Earl Eyre
01-05-2006, 12:23 PM
I don't know if Christian Burchard comes there or not but I took a class from him and would take another in a heart beat. Why? He thinks "outside the box." Look at his web site you will see what I mean. Besides being a wonderfully patient teacher on techniques his discussions and analysis on design (real buzzword these days!) are better than anything I've read. While he certainly has his own ideas and style, he has no ax to grind and will teach you anything you want to know.
Earl

Keith Burns
01-05-2006, 1:53 PM
OK, as usual Andy beat me to the punch, but here's my list....

Jim Ketron-Forest clearing
Jim-Ketron-Hollow forms
Travis Stinson-Natural edge
John Hart-Courage to try anything, and succeed
Andy Hoyt-Comedy
Bill Stevener-Itty Bittys
Mike Stafford-Boxes & writing
Carole Valentine-Artful eye
Glenn Hodges-Ability to hold stuff together
Malcolm Tibbetts-Segmented

And like Andy said, the list could go on and on.........

Keith Christopher
01-05-2006, 2:42 PM
Without a doubt David Marks.

John Hart
01-05-2006, 3:08 PM
I don't think I'd want to take a class from a "big name" right now...Too intimidating. But....
Keith Burns has always impressed me with his segmented stuff and eye for form.
Glenn Hodges for his tenacity up against Mother Nature.
And Travis Stinson of course for Awe-Inspiring HF work.

Oh....And Jim Ketron for welding...Not just that he welds...but because he is innovative in his approach.

Jim Becker
01-05-2006, 3:17 PM
John...forget any kind of "intimidation"...folks like David, Bill and the others really are very warm and you will more-or-less forget that they are the cream of the crop after only a few minutes as you get more an more into their teaching. Really. They are real people. And the things you will learn will take your turning to the next level and above very quickly.

Dick Parr
01-05-2006, 4:32 PM
No question it would be David Marks, he is so down to earth and his work is inspiring.

Scott Coffelt
01-05-2006, 4:35 PM
Mark Singer :)

John Hart
01-05-2006, 5:30 PM
John...forget any kind of "intimidation"...folks like David, Bill and the others really are very warm and you will more-or-less forget that they are the cream of the crop after only a few minutes as you get more an more into their teaching. Really. They are real people. And the things you will learn will take your turning to the next level and above very quickly.

Yeah...I suppose I would have to get over my prejudices regarding folks who have changed due to their status. I see it so often...but then, I've never seen it in a woodworker! ;) Thanks!

Michael Stafford
01-05-2006, 5:38 PM
Chris, I have had the pleasure of attending classes at John C. Campbell and there are many wonderful instructors. But there is one man who I have had two classes with that was the most fun and taught me more than anyone else. His name is Don Russell and he has taught at Arrowmont, Craft Supplies, Marc Adams and lots of other places. Don specializes in segmented turning and he has one of the most comprehensive turning classes you could ever want. Plus he is just a wonderful guy and a lot of fun to be around. His work almost always makes the instant gallery selections for the AAW website. He teaches at John C. Campbell a couple of times a year. I highly recommend him. As a matter of a fact I am trying to get a bunch of the SMC turners to all take his "Turning an Old World Urn- Polychromatic Style" class next October. I have already taken it once but I would love to spend another week with Don.

All of the instructors at John C. Campbell are terrific. You get to interact with many of them during the course of a week even if you are not taking their classes due to the homey atmosphere at the school. Just my $.02.

I would love to take turning lessons from many of the names listed by the others on this thread.

Doug Jones
01-05-2006, 7:41 PM
It would all depend on the cost. But thats just me and my frivilous ways.
With that being said, Bill Grumbine has always topped my list, follwed by Kevin Gerstenecker.

Fred Anderson
01-05-2006, 8:50 PM
Speaking of Kevin....he was the one that gave me the address for this site a few months ago. I lurk mostly and suck in valuable information. Why doesn't Kevin post anymore? The last post I could find of his was over 4 months ago.

Fred

Ken Fitzgerald
01-05-2006, 9:03 PM
Kevin became disenchanted here...I don't remember why and I think he took on some administrative/moderator duties at another site.

Bob Noles
01-05-2006, 9:15 PM
There is no doubt that it would have to be Bill Grumbine for me. After watching his video twice now, I am making a class with Bill my quest for 2006.

Carole Valentine
01-05-2006, 10:24 PM
I could learn plenty from just about any turner I can think of. The only time I have ever seen another person turn in real life was one day at Woodcraft last March at a begining bowl class. I turn in a vacuum. If it wasn't for my Internet friends, I would never be doing this. Why don't some of ya'll come visit?

Jim Dunn
01-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Anybody with a lathe that can show me how to sharpen tools. Oh, and close too.:)

Jim

Gordon Achterhof
01-06-2006, 6:56 AM
I am so far down the skills list that anyone would be good. On a scale of 1 to 100, I am -10. However, I got the DVD from Bill Grumbine and things can only go up from here. So I guess that I will have to save my pennys and try for a class with Bill later on.

Cheers
Gordon

Mark Singer
01-06-2006, 7:44 AM
The recent Maloof and David Marks classes that I attended with Ryan were rewarding in so many ways....I highly reccomend them. ...and thanks Scott;)

Mark Singer
01-06-2006, 8:04 AM
Bin Pho or Alan Stirt. Both are doing amazing things with their turnings and I think that it could be applied at so many different levels. Bin Pho's forms, thinness, and the airbrushing could be applied seperately and still make a stunning piece. Alan Stirt's pieces are beautiful forms and the textures he uses make it art.

I agree those guy are amazing!

Raymond Overman
01-06-2006, 8:55 AM
I could learn plenty from just about any turner I can think of. The only time I have ever seen another person turn in real life was one day at Woodcraft last March at a begining bowl class. I turn in a vacuum. If it wasn't for my Internet friends, I would never be doing this. Why don't some of ya'll come visit?

I'm going to be a few hours south of you next weekend (14-15) in the Oregon Inlet (Outer Banks, NC) trying to catch a few striped bass. I wish I had time to run up and turn for a little while but will be with a crowd of fisherman and won't have wood on our minds. Maybe when the croaker start running in the Chesapeake Bay I can take a detour and visit.

Mark Singer
01-06-2006, 9:47 AM
When we think of great woodworking Masters still practicing and teaching...Krenov quickly comes to mind...he would be great to spend some time with....

http://jameskrenov.com/images/krenov-lg.jpg

bob gugerty
01-06-2006, 1:06 PM
anybody at

bob gugerty
01-06-2006, 1:07 PM
anybody at this point

Chris Barton
01-06-2006, 3:51 PM
Thanks everyone for their views and opinions! While I haven't made a decission yet, I have additional names to add to the list. Now, if I can just figure out if I want to do a 2 week class or a 1 week class or a 4 day weekend class or...

John Miliunas
01-06-2006, 6:09 PM
Unfortunately, most all those folks are far from my "reach" or pocketbook!:( I'd love some time with Grumbine or Marks, Maloof, Ketron or Stinson. Heck, John Hart is downright inspirational!!! :) Fortunately for me, I've had the extreme pleasure of spending some quality WW time with Mark Singer and that too, is not only enlightening, but inspirational, as well! :) The closest I might come would be one of our own local guys who worked with Maloof, that being Edward Wohl. Another true wood artisan by his own right.:) You've collected quite a cast there, Chris and I'm sure any one of them would be a joy to behold and learn from!:) :cool:

Carole Valentine
01-06-2006, 8:20 PM
If I could spend the week, or even a day, with any one turner/artist, I think it would have to be either Stephen Hatcher or J. Paul Fennel. I can spot their work a mile away and am absolutely enthralled by it. Of course their work is so distinctive that even if I learned how to do it, it wouldn't do me any good to be able to make it because it would be plagiarism! (Did I spell that right? I can never spell that word!):)

Richard Allen
01-07-2006, 7:53 AM
I was lucky enough to spend a few hours with J. Paul Fenell last Summer. I also attended a demo of his in Akron back in 1998(?) which amazed me (though everything amazed me back then). J. Paul involves a LOT of procedure into his work. His procedures can be used in many different ways, which would have no compairison to his exquisit pieces.

Martin Shupe
01-07-2006, 3:50 PM
I am not a real turner, just a hack...

1. Bill Grumbine...if you can book a day or more with him, it is certainly, without question, time and money well spent. Not only for the excellent turning instruction, but for the enjoyable conversation covering a broad range of topics. Bill is one nice guy to spend some time around.

2. I took a weekend (two day) turning class from Alan Lacer, at Marc Adams. The class was "Taming the skew", and full of lots of good information.

3. If you like to turn and build chairs, Kerry Pierce will teach another chair class at Marc Adams this summer. Lots of spindle turning, and you will make a nice Shaker chair.

4. I have met David Marks, but didn't take his class. I believe he is doing a hollow form class at Marc Adams this year. Sign up fast, or you won't get in. David is very personable, and interesting to talk to. If I were a little more advanced, I would consider this class.

Best bang for you buck: one on one with Bill Grumbine!

Curt Fuller
01-07-2006, 7:15 PM

I'm in the same situation as Carole minus the Woodcraft experience. I've been turning long enough now that I probably have too many set ways and bad habits to break in just a couple days of classes. But for the artistic aspect of turning I appreciate the people on this site and others who generously post pictures of their creativity. Art is in the eye of the beholder and all those famous turners certainly do some beautiful work. But so do the less famous folks that post on these sites. And I appreciate all the inspiration. I feel like I take a class every time I log on.

Carole Valentine
01-07-2006, 8:17 PM
I was lucky enough to spend a few hours with J. Paul Fenell last Summer. I also attended a demo of his in Akron back in 1998(?) which amazed me (though everything amazed me back then). J. Paul involves a LOT of procedure into his work. His procedures can be used in many different ways, which would have no compairison to his exquisit pieces.

You lucky dog! I would kill for that opportunity. But neither one of us can spell his name right. I left out an "L" and you left out an "N". It's Fennell. Had to go to his album on WoW to check.:D

John Hart
01-07-2006, 8:56 PM
....But for the artistic aspect of turning I appreciate the people on this site and others who generously post pictures of their creativity. Art is in the eye of the beholder and all those famous turners certainly do some beautiful work. But so do the less famous folks that post on these sites. And I appreciate all the inspiration. I feel like I take a class every time I log on.

Well put Curt. I love the education here. My life is completely different from a year ago....all good. :)

Dale Thompson
01-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Chris,
That's like asking whom I would most like to spend a day with: Mahatma Ghandi, Abraham Lincoln or Winston Churchill. :confused: I would LOVE to hear the philosophy of Ghandi! On the other hand, I understand that Lincoln had the most complex portfolio of off-color jokes of any politician of his time. :) I'm not big on dirty jokes but they are a lot better than the constant regergitation of lies that we get from our present "representatives"! :(

DANG! I guess that I would have to choose Sir Winston! From what I've read, his wit and resilience to adversity are unsurpassed in all of history. :cool:

On topic!! Considering my skills, I could learn from anyone who has ever joined, visited or "lurked" on this or any other Forum! In fact, a couple of weeks ago my two-year-old grandson watched me turn but was more interested in the "shavings". He taught me that I should hide the shavings from his mom and my wife by "pushing" them under the lathe. :cool:

Unfortunately, in pushing all of the shavings under the lathe, his outfit absorbed the majority of them. I caught heck for that too! :o

Whatever, since I have only one video and that is Richard Raffan's, "Turning Wood", I would have to say that Raffan would be my choice. He has that English/Australian wit that I really appreciate. Even with a video that can be "edited", when he messes up on sharpening a skew he admits it. He either starts over or says that it will cut good anyway. When he gets a "catch", he shows it and goes on to "cover" it up. No excuses. Just reality! :)

In any event, I am too old to learn ANYTHING! :( I would, however, enjoy watching a person of his skill level manipulate the chisels as the Conductor of a Great Orchestra would wield his baton. :cool: :)

Dale T.

Ernie Nyvall
01-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Bill Grumbine would definately be on the list... that would probably be a fun class.

The guys and gals here at the Creek though could create a school with all the forms and tool making. That would be a blast to attend and very informative of course.

Ernie

Mike Vore
01-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Too many good instructors to pick just 1. I've had classes with David Ellsworth (both at his studio and at Anderson Ranch), Cindy Drozda, Christian Burchard, Al Stirt and some others. So I'm looking for new ideas. This year at Arrowmont I'll be learning from Ray Key.

Dale Thompson
01-08-2006, 7:29 PM
Too many good instructors to pick just 1. I've had classes with David Ellsworth (both at his studio and at Anderson Ranch), Cindy Drozda, Christian Burchard, Al Stirt and some others. So I'm looking for new ideas. This year at Arrowmont I'll be learning from Ray Key.

Mike,
Post some pics, man! :) Don't worry about embarassing ME! ;) Everything that COULD be done has already been done - many times over!
:( :o :)

Dale T.

Jack Hogoboom
01-09-2006, 3:54 PM
Well, I've already had two of the top with David Ellsworth and Bil Grumbine. The guy I want to tee up next is Bob Rosand. I want to learn how he makes those incredible Xmas ornaments. After that, I think I'll go back for round 2 with Bill and David. J-F Escoulen would also be up there. I'd just like to see him make one of his crazy multi-axis pieces.

The friendliest turner I've met to date is Harvey Fein. I bought a piece of his and he insisted I come into NYC to pick it up. He took me out for lunch and then showed me his private collection. A great man and a great inspiration. He is completely surprised by his own success.

The only downside to the classes is that I see how it should be done, but have no ability to duplicate what I see.

Of course, a little practice now and then would help too.:rolleyes:

Chip Sutherland
01-09-2006, 8:37 PM
From what I've seen posted they are good at it and would probably be great instructors. They aren't the obvious celebrity turners but I suspect they are well on their way to being masters. Personally, I'd love to see Sasha turn another double-bowl winged piece in real-time.

William H Macy (the actor) is an excellent turner. He would be an interesting instructor, too.

Carole Valentine
01-09-2006, 10:13 PM
From what I've seen posted they are good at it and would probably be great instructors. They aren't the obvious celebrity turners but I suspect they are well on their way to being masters. Personally, I'd love to see Sasha turn another double-bowl winged piece in real-time.

William H Macy (the actor) is an excellent turner. He would be an interesting instructor, too.

Well...I don't quite know what to say about that! (blush!) I guess I should just say thank you for your confidence! I would like to think "Master" status was within reach, but I think I started this spinny stuff too late in life to even get to the "experienced" stage!:D
Sasha is another story altogether. He's a you guy already well on his way. Speaking of whom, where is he? Haven't seen him post lately.