PDA

View Full Version : Flip-over Cabinets

Joe Hollis
01-18-2021, 4:23 PM
Hello,
I have a lunchbox planer and small benchtop style spindle sander that I am contemplating building one of those flip-over cabinets for. Since I doubt the manufacturers of these tools considered that anyone might mount them upside down, is there any legitimate concern about doing so? The planer is a bigger concern to me than the small spindle sander.

Thanks and regards,

Joe H.

Lee Schierer
01-18-2021, 4:36 PM
I wouldn't think so, though any sanding dust or saw dust will end up falling out or into the upper portion when inverted. A good vacuum job might be a good first step before flipping.

Steve Eure
01-18-2021, 6:44 PM
Not an issue. I have a Dewalt 735 planer along with a 12" disc sander, and oscillating spindle sander on mine. Have had it for several years with heavy use with no problems.

Jim Becker
01-18-2021, 8:05 PM
Folks with smaller shops have been making flip-over, two-tool cabinets for decades with no issues. Just be sure to use a very secure method of fastening the tools to the flip-table and if necessary, do some weight balancing to make it easier to flip them around...you may need to add some weight to one side if a particular tool is a lot less heavy than the other. This is purely for convenience, however.

Jay Aubuchon
01-18-2021, 8:21 PM
I once mounted a very old scroll saw on a flip-top cart. Old enough that it had an unsealed oil reservoir. That didn’t work out so well.

My lunchbox planer, spindle sander, and miter saw have done fine without any special precautions.

Jay Aubuchon
01-18-2021, 8:38 PM
If you decide to build one, I highly recommend taking a look at the Fisher’s Shop version here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXQ707IvutI), shared by Chris Schoenthal in a previous flip-top discussion.

Aaron Rosenthal
01-18-2021, 9:37 PM
Jay, could you please supply a link? I can’t see one and I’d be interested.

Doug Garson
01-18-2021, 10:01 PM
Aaron, the word "here " is the link.

Chris Schoenthal
01-19-2021, 12:19 AM
The only issue that I've had with any tools on flip carts is my Ridgid oscillating spindle sander.
The first time that I flipped it, all of the "accessories" fell out of their gravity held slots.
I quickly built a drawer on that one to hold them when not in use.

glenn bradley
01-19-2021, 12:32 AM
Been flipping a DW735 and a spindle sander for years. The inserts and spindles set in a plastic shoe box on the bottom of the flip top cabinet along with spare blades and the wrench for the planer.

Jim Fox
01-19-2021, 8:52 AM

Fisher's Shop - Flip Station (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXQ707IvutI)

Jim Becker
01-19-2021, 10:02 AM
I once mounted a very old scroll saw on a flip-top cart. Old enough that it had an unsealed oil reservoir. That didn’t work out so well.

https://snz04pap002files.storage.live.com/y4menGL8Gbqkm6k9aLKWfQH244gmT1IR37lqS3ECYFeJZcBR2p FFcM0N7Bje4I60aWFSfOIAgKKj3wbLGcvrO_C2B6IOv-VLRLriiic6RMxLkJEDsInx9-NFWrguytyufTqt6SfFIsrh7RlK6CRH2q9IxNVJbT8KEMGsMb8b qH3T6BAVGqNeoGJH0s8X_AfYR98?width=218&height=256&cropmode=none

Michael Drew
01-19-2021, 1:16 PM
I'm currently building a flip top cart that I will use with my Rigid planer and Dewalt 12" CSMS. It will have a shallow drawer for holding misc blades, tools and parts each machine uses.

I watched a bunch of videos, including Fisher's, and ended up incorporating a few tips and options from most of them. I decided to not incorporate power into the stand that Fisher's design includes. Mostly because I don't like running power through black pipe and T's, plus I intend to pull the saw off for field work in the summer months. I'm probably over doing it, as I usually do..... But I like to build my shop stuff to last.