PDA

View Full Version : Attaching handles to cabinet doors

Aaron Liebling
01-16-2021, 1:27 AM
I carved handles for the doors of a cabinet I'm making but am curious about the best way to attach them.

The handles have two connection points to the doors (middle - where the doors meet, and at their other ends, about 4 inches in to each door) and each connection is perhaps 3/8-1/2"" wide. Obviously, I should have thought of the attachment method from the beginning, but I was just enjoying learning how to use a spokeshave. If I need to toss these and make new handles, then I will.

What are some reasonable ways of attaching handles? I could likely just screw through from the inside, as long as I'm careful and use thin screws. Any better ideas?

Note: in the attached photo, the handles are still one piece. They will be cut in half in line with the doors (so equal handles on both sides).

Neil Gaskin
01-16-2021, 9:30 AM
I would likely pre-drill and use a #4 screw from behind. You could also drill through the door and the handle with a dowel rod, set with epoxy, and shave/sand off the dowel on the handle and the back of the door, essentially pegging the handle to the door?

Nice looking cabinet

Jim Becker
01-16-2021, 9:57 AM
Ditto what Neil said...make a jig for spacing, carefully pre-drill for screws and screw from the back. This is both secure and allows you to replace the handles should they get damaged. I made the mistake of gluing on some creatively cut walnut pulls years ago and when they inevitably broke due to being too delicate, it was a hard situation to clean up.

Beautiful cabinet, BTW.

Aaron Liebling
01-16-2021, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I think I'll go with the screws from the back...probably with small plug covers to hide the screws.

I'll post up some photos of the cabinet when it's all finished.