PDA

View Full Version : What are you guys waxing your plane soles with?

Glenn Lewis
01-11-2021, 8:37 PM
I use paste wax, rub on, wait, buff off. It works but it's slow. I've recently seen some people just scribble a couple squiggly lines with some sort of more solid little chunk of wax, but i don't know what it is. What works for you guys?

chris carter
01-11-2021, 8:50 PM
Gulf Wax. You find it in the canning section of the grocery store. One box will last a lifetime.

glenn bradley
01-11-2021, 8:55 PM
Gulf wax. I cut one end off the carton and continue to cut the carton back as I use it.

Glenn Lewis
01-11-2021, 8:58 PM
Awesome thank you. Bonus points because I love when i can walk into a "regular" store and buy something useful for woodworking!

Steve Kang
01-11-2021, 9:04 PM
I just use tea lights, pull the wicks out and they're good to go.

Nathan Johnson
01-11-2021, 10:12 PM
I got a bag of old candles from my mom. It should last forever.

glenn bradley
01-11-2021, 10:43 PM
I got a bag of old candles from my mom. It should last forever.

Ain't it the truth.

Tony Mize
01-11-2021, 10:44 PM
I mix 2/3 beeswax to 1/3 boiled linseed oil in a old muffin pan. Melt in the oven at a low temperature. Once all the wax is melted pull it out of the oven an let it cool to room temperature. It hardened to a little bit harder than a normal candle an will last years.

Ben Ellenberger
01-11-2021, 10:55 PM
I bought a little beeswax candle at the farmer’s market.

Christopher Charles
01-12-2021, 12:01 AM
FWIW, I find paraffin from tea candles (same as gulf wax) works considerably better than beeswax, which has a bit of tack. Even though I prefer the idea of using beeswax... I go through about one candle once every very long time.

ken hatch
01-12-2021, 1:24 AM
Oiled rag in a can, candle, Gulf wax, it all works and kinda depends on what is handy. Not worth obsessing over.

ken

Todd Trebuna
01-12-2021, 9:03 AM
I use both a "rag in a can" or a chunk of paraffin, cut off a block of paraffin. Trying to decide which I like better.

mike stenson
01-12-2021, 10:23 AM
I have a rag in a can, a chunk of beeswax lying around and some chunks of gulf wax. Whatever is convenient.

Packrats prefer beeswax.

steven c newman
01-12-2021, 10:54 AM
Soles will get a few squiggly lines from an old , plain candle less than a dollar at Wal E World.

To "oil" the rest of the plane....old, plain, cheap paint brush that has a "filling" of 3in1 oil.....just rub the brush around as need be.....brush is around a dollar bill, got it while getting that candle.

I also use that candle on the threads of screws....helps prevent them from snapping off in the Ash, or Oak....Candle started out as a white 6".....now down to ~4"....

Jim Koepke
01-12-2021, 11:38 AM
It depends on what is at hand.

There are a couple hunks of candle wax in the shop. A couple hunks of bee's wax in a drawer.

There is also a rag impregnated with furniture oil/wax used to rub down planes, tools, turnings and even furniture.

There is also a piece of cloth with the old cloudy version of Johnson & Johnson's paste wax that is occasionally used.

jtk

Michael J Evans
01-12-2021, 1:32 PM
Paul sellers rag in a can
/ Johnson's paste wax for machinery surfaces and or storage application

Mel Fulks
01-12-2021, 1:50 PM
I keep my planes sole up in a "sand-box" type thing in which I raise slugs for "fun and profit". Nothing is slicker than
what ever that stuff is that they make !
P.S. This must be a record run for a SM thread. I hope Keith can sell the film rights !

Derek Cohen
01-12-2021, 8:02 PM
I just use tea lights, pull the wicks out and they're good to go.

Steve, I do the same. The wax seems to have the consistency I like. It is probably no different from common long candles.

I wonder if any here have used the wax sticks sold by Rob Cosman. Several months ago I bought a few to try out - the dispenser it comes in looks so useful - and so I have been using these wax sticks. Perhaps it is because I am so used to the wax of old, but I find the Cosman wax a little more “stickier” than I like. Still persevering. ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Curt Putnam
01-13-2021, 2:18 AM
Gulf wax is good - as long as you don't leave it out in the heat and it melts.

Anybody ise mutton tallow?

Rob Luter
01-13-2021, 5:56 AM
Another vote for Gulf Wax. Buy a box and you'll never need to buy more.