PDA

View Full Version : Got a Chuckle From Web Ad

Jim Koepke
01-11-2021, 12:58 PM
While reading the news this morning an ad caught my eye for a new product that keeps knives sharp:

Wow, who would have thunk it?

jtk

Dennis Peacock
01-11-2021, 1:20 PM
Well, I have a couple that I could throw his way and no matter how much sharpening he does with them...they will never look like the picture. :)

Doug Garson
01-11-2021, 1:38 PM
That's amazing, I heard they are also working on a device the let's you talk to someone without being in the same room. Something about a telyfone?

Bill Dufour
01-11-2021, 3:14 PM
You can even send a Marconigram now, over the ether to a faraway land. Some day Man will land on the moon. By then we will be more correct and say People instead of just Man.

Bruce Wrenn
01-11-2021, 3:33 PM
Reminds me of the early days of the space program. US spent MILLIONS developing a pen that would write under all conditions that were to be expected on a space craft. Russians gave their guys a #2 pencil. Who was smarted?

Jim Koepke
01-11-2021, 3:58 PM
Reminds me of the early days of the space program. US spent MILLIONS developing a pen that would write under all conditions that were to be expected on a space craft. Russians gave their guys a #2 pencil. Who was smarted?

It depends, have the pen makers paid enough in taxes to show a return on the investment?

Have you compared notes made in pencil to those made in ink after 20, 30, 50, 100 years or more?

jtk

roger wiegand
01-11-2021, 6:46 PM
It depends, have the pen makers paid enough in taxes to show a return on the investment?

Have you compared notes made in pencil to those made in ink after 20, 30, 50, 100 years or more?

jtk

Actually I have; pencil wins hands down. Both markings inside old organs and notations on paper books and rolls from 100+ years ago. The pencil is always perfectly clear, the pen strictly dependent on the ink used. Something like India ink lasts forever (just another allotrope of carbon), dye-based inks are a complete crapshoot whether they last five years or 100.

Bob Turkovich
01-11-2021, 7:17 PM

Not quite true...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-nasa-spen/

Jim Becker
01-11-2021, 8:28 PM
Bunch a stoners with sharp minds.... :) :D

Michael Weber
01-12-2021, 1:14 PM
Unfortunately they will probably make some, if not a fortune, from this ad. Like a lot of ads it may make sense to enough people without background knowledge.

Jim Matthews
01-12-2021, 2:27 PM
Bunch a stoners with sharp minds.... :) :D

Ooo. Heavy.