View Full Version : Performax 22-44 Advice

Keith Barkhau
01-04-2006, 6:24 PM
Hello,

I am a new member and this is my first post. I've been reading this forum for a few months now and I seems to be filled with excellent individuals!!

My questions revolves around the best methods/practices for using my new Christmas present, a Performax 22-44 Plus (from one of the worlds greatest wives!!). I've gotten the machine set up, drum leveled, belt tensioned and tracking straight and have used it now for about 5 or 6 hours with 80, 150 and 220 grit. What I'm wondering is if some of you folks who've been using these things for awhile could share your tips on how to get the best results out of the device.

From my first few hours with the device I've been wondering:

1. How many passes most people take on a given board before lowering the drum (I've been taking at least 6, which from what I've been reading is excessive).

2. How do you determine the optimal belt speed? Does it vary with the grit used? Does it vary with species of wood (I'm guessing it does)? [I use predominately white oak (qtr sawn), cherry and hard maple] I've been setting the speed at between 40% and 50%, but don't know if I'd be better off running either slower or faster.

3. If you need to sand both sides of a board is it best to sand one side completely, lower the drum, then sand the other side, or should you try to sand both sides before lowering the drum? [I've tried both]

4. How much should I lower the drum each time (assuming I'm working with hardwood, not soft)? I've been lowering it either 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn.

5. Any other general suggestions, or questions that I should be asking?

I realize this is quite a lengthy request, but at this point any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Tinley
01-04-2006, 6:38 PM
Keith-

I set mine up with 120 grit and leave it at that.
I generally make an initial pass with the drum just touching the lumber I am running thru, then I make a 1/8 turn if its hard wood, 1/4 turn if its cedar or pine. Flip the mateial over, make a 1/8 turn and continue like that till I get a smooth even finish.
As for setting the speed, I just crank it up to the highest, the 22/44 has a automatic speed control that will adjust the conveyor belt speed down based on resisitance.

To me, its too much of a pain to keep changing to different grits so that why I leave it on 120 grit.

Dave

Cecil Arnold
01-04-2006, 7:46 PM
Keith, welcome to the creek. I think Dave gave you the answer you're looking for. On my 16/32 I go 1/4 turn, but sometime that's too much.

rick fulton
01-04-2006, 8:21 PM
Keith -

Welcome to SMC. I have the performax 16-32, but get similar results to you and Dave. With hardwood like Oak or Ipe I never go more than 1/8 of a turn plus I almost always run the board through 'at least' twice (first at an angle, 2nd with the grain but in opposite direction if first).

When it is down to size I run the board through many times at every angle and direction I can. This helps if your drum is not exactly parallel with the belt, or if the drum-to-belt distance spreads out on the far end when under pressure.

As someone else has pointed out in this forum, running it through many times fast is preferred over once slow because it gives you something to do.

Two other quirks about my 16-32 that may also effect yours. One is keep an eye on the belt alignment - it needs a slight tweak every now and then (5 to 50 minutes). Second quirk fix (I'm not recommending you do this but) is to short out (bypass) the thermal circuit breaker on the motor. My breaker was tripping constantly so I replaced it with one of the exact same rating. After the new breaker started acting up I just took it out of the loop. Have never had a problem since.

Good luck with your new equipment. Let's see some pics of your project.
rick

Jim Becker
01-04-2006, 8:34 PM
I pretty much do the same as Dave, too...although I think I have 100 on mine. I use the machine to level things and use other tools for the finish work. I do take multiple passes as I only take light "cuts" with each one.

Welcome to the 'Creek, Keith!

Perry Holbrook
01-04-2006, 9:50 PM
I'm much more agressive with my 22-44. Belt speed always at full speed, letting the speed control do it's job. I run 80 grit until all machining marks are out and then more if I'm siazing to a particular thickness. 1/4 turn after each pass. Then 120 a couple of passes, then 150, 180 or 220 depending on what I need. On the finer grits I lower the drum 1/8 turn. On the last grit I make 2 passes without lowering the drum. All of this is with hardwood.

A quick pass with a finish sander and then a flap wheel and I'm done.

As far as changing the paper. I can usually do it in about 2 minutes. Since I'm usually in a production mode, time is a big factor for me and I've found this gets my total sanding time within reason.

Cecil Arnold
01-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Rick, FYI I had a similar problem with my 16-32. I use a fused strip to give myself extra outlets from a plug which has the same rating as the circuit breaker on the 16-32 which means it was double protected for load. The 16-32 continually tripped its breaker but not the one on the strip. I replaced it with one that was about 5 amps higher and have not had a problem since. I talked to Performax and while the service rep would not admit it I got the feeling that they had some breakers that were over rated or just too conservative. Haven't had a problem with the larger breaker.

rick fulton
01-05-2006, 8:17 AM
Thanks Cecil!

I should have some protection in there. Going slightly bigger is a much safer fix than a direct short. It was one of those fix-it-quick now then fix-it-right later problems that never saw the later fix.

One other incident does come to mind though. One very hot afternoon the motor on my sander did shut down 'without' the fuse protection. I was sure that my fix-it-later decision had just bitten me in the wallet. At that point the motor was warm to the touch, but not uncomfortably warm. Well, after I gave it a 5 minute cool off time out it started up just fine and has not shut down on its own since.

New Year's resolution - complete 'some' of my fix-it-later projects before they become antiques.

Thanks again.
rick

Keith Barkhau
01-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks everyone for your quick replies!

It sounds like I was being a little conservative with 40% belt speed, 1/8th turns and four+ passes on each side before lowering the drum (might explain why it was taking longer than hand sanding).

As an aside I am really impressed with the friendliness and response on this board--believe me, not every forum is open as this one.

BTW, Rick, thanks for asking about my projects--I'm wrapping up a dvd/cd cabinet at the moment and will post some pics of it, and my shop (if your interested) when I get a chance.

Thanks again.

Tyler Howell
01-05-2006, 11:27 AM
BTW, Rick, thanks for asking about my projects--I'm wrapping up a dvd/cd cabinet at the moment and will post some pics of it, and my shop (if your interested) when I get a chance.

Thanks again.

Keith :mad:
Pix are required around here!!!!:D
Glad to have you on board. Just got a 22/44 and this has been a great tutorial

Ken Shoemaker
01-05-2006, 7:59 PM
Keith,

Glad to have you aboard. Also glad to see a fellow "creeker" this close. I'm just a couple minutes east of Joliet.

If your every in the area their is always a fresh cup of coffee waiting for you. Of course that is an open invite to any creeker that happens by.

Welcome aboard ... Ken