PDA

View Full Version : Need help...Dust Collector Remote Control.

Tom Pritchard
01-04-2006, 5:48 PM
I'm trying to find a good quality remote control for my 220V 2HP dust collector. I have read reviews on the Shop Fox and the Penn State Industries models that said they were poorly made and had small gauge wires that were not suited for the amperage that a 2HP dust collector would draw!:eek: I did a couple searches, but they all pointed to the same two or three remotes.

Does anyone know of a good quality remote control? Thanks in advance for your help.

Travis Porter
01-04-2006, 6:00 PM
I just got my Oneida Super Dust Gorilla and it came with a magnetic starter with an integrated remote control. Quality was very good and the remote is like a car remote. Not sure of brand, but I think you can buy it straight from Oneida by itself.

Steve Clardy
01-04-2006, 6:02 PM
I built mine from Dennis Peacock's homebuilt remote, and some of Tyler's ideas.
Check Dennis's home site. It's there

Dave Fifield
01-04-2006, 6:11 PM
I use standard X10 stuff for my DC remote system. I have a key-chain remote control that I either carry around with me or hang in a central location in the workshop. This sends an RF signal to an X10 receiver plugged in an outlet on one wall. The X10 receiver puts commands over the workshop wiring to a 15A X10 controlled AC outlet that has the DC plugged into it. It's a simple, fairly low cost, and very effective system.

You could use a simple 120V X10 system like this to control a 220V contactor/relay to control your DC.

Dave Fifield

Dick Bringhurst
01-04-2006, 6:19 PM
I use the Long RangerII on my 1 1/2 hp Jet. No problems. Dick B.

Jim Hager
01-04-2006, 6:23 PM
I've been using the long ranger on a 3hp grizzly dc for several years now without a single problem. I don't know what it is rated however but if it handles the 3hp unit without any problem I think I'll just keep it.:D I know I've had the thing now for 7 years for sure and maybe 8. Seems like I got it from Penn State as they were the only ones with it at the time.

Probably now that I've bragged on it next time I go to the shop it will croak on me.:(

Tom Pritchard
01-04-2006, 7:30 PM
I built mine from Dennis Peacock's homebuilt remote, and some of Tyler's ideas.
Check Dennis's home site. It's there

Steve, thanks for the tip! I received a PM from another member who built Dennis Peacock's remote and he was very pleased with the results. I have most the parts and hope to get started on it this weekend.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply! I appreciate the help.

Steve Clardy
01-04-2006, 8:16 PM
Steve, thanks for the tip! I received a PM from another member who built Dennis Peacock's remote and he was very pleased with the results. I have most the parts and hope to get started on it this weekend.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply! I appreciate the help.

Welcome Tom.
I had to build one, as my collector is 4HP.
Couldn't find anything to handle it.

Most out there are 3HP and down.

Jim Becker
01-04-2006, 9:37 PM
I also reverted to the contactor arrangement as detailed by Dennis. Mine is controlled by a single switch in the center of the shop...I bagged the remotes I used to have at most workstations and find that one centrally located switch really isn't a hassle...nor can it get lost or wear out batteries since it's embeded in the wall and carries 120v when flipped to "on"... :)

Tom Jones III
01-05-2006, 7:50 AM
The best one I ever had was a 120v remote from radio shack. The remote only had one button, so it was easy to turn it off or on without looking. I may take it apart and see if I can wire it into a 220v.

Currently I'm using the X10 system and am extremely unhappy with it. It usually will start with one to three pushes of the on button, but turning it off requires 5 to 30 pushes of the off button. I have not yet figured out what is going wrong.

Bill Webber
01-05-2006, 8:54 AM
I use standard X10 stuff for my DC remote system. I have a key-chain remote control that I either carry around with me or hang in a central location in the workshop. This sends an RF signal to an X10 receiver plugged in an outlet on one wall. The X10 receiver puts commands over the workshop wiring to a 15A X10 controlled AC outlet that has the DC plugged into it. It's a simple, fairly low cost, and very effective system.

X-10 makes a 220 volt 20 amp outlet relay controller. I have used one of these on my 2 HP double bagger for years. I've tested it with my 3 HP Oneida and it works there also. Here's a link:

http://www.x10.com/automation/hd245_s.html

Bill W.
Woodworkers visit me at:
http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/Galoots/wWebber/

Jim Becker
01-05-2006, 9:29 AM
Bill, I blew out three of those on my Oneida systems which is why I bagged them and went to the contactor setup. There is no way it will last with your 3hp system...my 2hp system didn't give it very long life.

Gary Jacuk
01-05-2006, 7:56 PM
Actually this is a response/question. Leaping before I looked, I bought a remote for my Clearvue cyclone from a company called Fernbrook. The module states it's rated for 20 amps 220 volts. The cyclone has a 5hp motor. Will this unit work ? The maximum draw on the motor is 20.8 amps so it seems to my non-eloctronic brain that it should be okay.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Gary Jacuk

Robert Lee
01-05-2006, 9:02 PM
I have a Grizzly 2 hp dust collector with a shop fox remote control unit which I also purchased from Grizzly Industrial. Ive had it about 2 years now with no problems. I would highly recommend it. As far as the smaller guage wire in the unit you mentioned, I do not see it. A 2 hp motor at 220 volts will draw 12 amps. This unit is quit sufficient for that, seeing it is rated for a 3hp motor. #14 wire is all that is needed to supply your 2hp motor but would recommend #12. This unit uses #12 gauge wire where needed. Also the quality of this unit is quite good. Just be sure you buy the model #H5397. There is a smaller hp version of this, so you wont want to buy the wrong one.

Clint Malone
01-06-2006, 12:04 AM
I've been using the long ranger on a 3hp grizzly dc for several years now without a single problem. I don't know what it is rated however but if it handles the 3hp unit without any problem I think I'll just keep it.:D I know I've had the thing now for 7 years for sure and maybe 8. Seems like I got it from Penn State as they were the only ones with it at the time.

Probably now that I've bragged on it next time I go to the shop it will croak on me.:(

Another vote for the Long Ranger, I have not had a problem with it except when I can't find the remote. Doh.

It is pricey though.

Tom Jones III
01-06-2006, 4:55 PM
FYI, I decided to finally go ahead and build the Dennis Peacock version so I called around to electrical supply places. Turns out the ones they sell are major overkill. The cheapest and easiest place I found to get one is at an A/C supply store. I just got one for $21.

Jim Becker
01-06-2006, 5:18 PM
Tom, I paid $25 for my contactor at the local electrical supply, but they rooted around for awhile to find one that wasn't more expensive. (I went with a 25a rated one since they had it which is more than sufficient for my setup) So your $21 is a good deal!