PDA

View Full Version : PC 4212 attempt

Scott Donley
01-04-2006, 4:51 PM
This is my first attempt at DT's using the PC 4212. The box was an after thought, hated to waste the wood, even if it was just scrap.Started just to see if I could do 4 pieces of wood to all fit and be square. Setup was less than 10 minuets. The joints were tight, tails a bit proud, but very acceptable, just couldn't toss into the burn box, hence a quick top and bottom. I would have to give this jig an A for ease of use, The onley problem was the bit depth guide. It is a ROUNDED piece of plastic and the bottems of the bits have a slightly different profile, the cause of the tails being a bit proud.For my first attempt and never using any other DT jig, I would have to recomend it. Just my thoughts,for what ever it is worth.

Chris Barton
01-04-2006, 6:18 PM
Nice review Scott. Several have posted in the past about their positive experiences with the PC dovetail guide. Looks like it does a nice job!

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2006, 6:24 PM
Nice job Scott. DT look really good.

Tom Donalek
01-04-2006, 7:29 PM
Dovetails are 'real woodworking' and, thus, currently out of my league. :D But I thought that with this type of joinery, you want the result to be a hair proud, so you can plane/scrape/sand them perfectly smooth?

Ron Fritz
01-04-2006, 7:42 PM
Scott; I couldn't agree more with your analysis of the PC 4212. I too found that I could create great fitting dovetails with in the first hour of use and learning. I was amazed at how easy it is to use.

Scott Donley
01-04-2006, 7:48 PM
Dovetails are 'real woodworking' and, thus, currently out of my league. :D But I thought that with this type of joinery, you want the result to be a hair proud, so you can plane/scrape/sand them perfectly smooth?Hi Tom, Yes, I think you are right, but in my case it was only the tails that were proud. Using the guide, the tails were really proud and the pins were right on. I think I will buy some Bud Light in a bottle and use the cap to place over the guide, that should make it flat, then I think both bits should be equal. Then again, it did give me a good reason to use my new LN block plane. :)

Brad Townsend
01-04-2006, 7:52 PM
I agree with your comment about the depth guide. I found the unit very easy to use and did a great job, but setting the depth with a set of calipers got me much better results a whole lot faster.

Scott Donley
01-04-2006, 8:32 PM
Nice job Scott. DT look really good.Thanks Bernie, now if I can master the lathe as good as you, I'll be set! ")