PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Knife Block - Anybody Made One?

Dennis Peacock
01-08-2021, 3:08 PM
I'm wanting to make The LOML a wooden magnetic knife block to be mounted near her cutting board. Have any of you made one and what magnets did you use? How thick does the wood need to be between the magnet and the surface the knife would be stuck to?

Extra points for a pic attached to your post. :)

Bruce Volden
01-08-2021, 5:05 PM
Dennis,
They make rare earth magnets which can be mounted to wood by using forstner bits for insetting.
They come in various strengths and thicknesses as well as diameters. You can have them flush mount or probably in your situation
slightly inset them so no knife to steel contact--or set deeper and plug with veneer. HTH
https://www.amazingmagnets.com/

Bruce

Lee Schierer
01-08-2021, 5:16 PM
Be aware that sharpening particles will stick to a magnetized knife.

Dennis Peacock
01-08-2021, 6:48 PM
Be aware that sharpening particles will stick to a magnetized knife.

Something I was not aware of.!!!

Mel Fulks
01-08-2021, 7:01 PM
Make sure knives are not non magnetic stainless steel. You can keep an old tape head de- magnetizer handy to stop
steel from sticking.

Lee Schierer
01-08-2021, 7:24 PM
Make sure knives are not non magnetic stainless steel. You can keep an old tape head de- magnetizer handy to stop
steel from sticking.

Most stainless steel is non-magneitc and wouldn't stick to a magnet. Stainless that is magnetic will stick to a magnet, but so will the sharpening swarf.

Jim Becker
01-08-2021, 8:02 PM
Dennis, you can use rare earth magnets and cut the pockets from the rear with your CNC machine so they are not visible. Using the CNC, you can get them very close to the front of the mounting block without the danger of poking through like with a forstner bit. Lee makes a good point...you'll want to check if your knives are magnetic compatible...

Bruce Wrenn
01-08-2021, 8:37 PM
Dennis, you can use rare earth magnets and cut the pockets from the rear with your CNC machine so they are not visible. Using the CNC, you can get them very close to the front of the mounting block without the danger of poking through like with a forstner bit. Lee makes a good point...you'll want to check if your knives are magnetic compatible...

If you add cups to your magnets, they double in strength, hint, hint.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-09-2021, 6:24 AM
Godo grief, my meat clever looks like a freshly-used murder weapon. I need to give that a bath in vinegar or something. All ya need to do is route out the back to within about 1/8” of the face and use rare earth magnets.

Ugh- my photo loaded upside-down.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-09-2021, 6:45 AM
Also, don’t worry about magnetizing your knife. I sharpen professionally and it is not an issue when sharpening- black stuff gets on the blade magnetized or not, and wipes off the same, magnetized or not.

Alan Rutherford
01-09-2021, 11:32 AM
If you're willing to do it with exposed magnets, there are lots of sources for magnetic strips. This is 2 strips from Harbor Freight. Plenty strong enough and they don't scratch the knives. This picture was a few years ago. There is no longer any empty space because they are so convenient.