PDA

View Full Version : Impractical Cabinetmaker - Solid Block Core

andrew whicker
01-08-2021, 10:02 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what he is using for a solid block core... he mentions buying from Germany with "abaci core and sapele cross layers". I'm Googling around and I can't find anyone that sells what he calls 'solid block' for the core. From the photos, it looks like a solid block is made of 1" wide ripped lumber pieces. There must be more to it than this.. I can see why one wouldn't want to make their own if something is commercially available.

Are there sources for this? I haven't yet Veneered, but this solid wood core he shows looks easy to work with. Has MDF replaced this solid block core?

Kevin Jenness
01-08-2021, 10:20 AM
I've never seen the platform stock Krenov talks about commercially available- maybe I didn't look in the right place. Mdf is probably the most used material for custom veneer work.

If you want a reasonably flat smooth substrate with greater strength and screw-holding than mdf, here is an alternativehttps://www.atlanticplywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Efficiency-HDF_Ultra-smooth-poplar-core-veneers-covered-with-HDF.pdf

John TenEyck
01-08-2021, 10:30 AM
If you want structural strength I suggest you use Baltic birch plywood. It's almost universally available in 5 x 5 ft sheets, and 4 x 8' sheets by some suppliers.

John

Joe Calhoon
01-08-2021, 10:59 AM
Europe has some mouth watering solid wood sheet stock. Not much available here.
Check out one of the suppliers.
https://holz-schiller.de/en-gb/homepage/

Stewart Lang
01-08-2021, 12:23 PM
I know there must be some aspect I'm not seeing here, but how is "solid core" plywood any different than using a solid wood panel? Doesn't it expand and contract like a solid wood panel?

Kevin Jenness
01-08-2021, 1:13 PM
It would typically have at least one crossband layer on either side of the core to restrain movement.

Tony Joyce
01-08-2021, 1:17 PM

If this is what you're looking for you might try Googling " Lumber Core Ply"

Stewart Lang
01-08-2021, 2:22 PM
It would typically have at least one crossband layer on either side of the core to restrain movement.

Looking at solid core plywood, that crossband layer looks much thinner than the core, and everything I know about solid wood makes me think that would do little to restrain movement, and would just result in serious cracking/glue failure long term. It's why every woodworker plans for wood expansion rather than trying to control it.

Warren Lake
01-08-2021, 2:35 PM
its balance construction and always 3, 5, 7 or, always odd numbers, at one point baltic birch was tons of layers

Mark Hennebury
01-08-2021, 4:57 PM
Lots of different types of woodcore panels available.
449009 449010449011449012449013449014449015

Mark e Kessler
01-08-2021, 6:18 PM
I have made lumber core out of pattern grade mahogany in the past for this, I have also made up panels using BB, mdf and bought lumber core, if i was to do it again today I would probably make it up from BB or just use mdf unless I wanted to get romantic about it then it would be made from scratch lumber core...