PDA

View Full Version : Federal style demilune table done

Phil Mueller
01-07-2021, 5:02 PM
I should call this my covid table. Took darn near most of 2020. Although in all fairness, it was put on hold for several other projects over the year. I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I do love the style and a half circle table has been on my bucket list for some time.

448926 448927 448961

Funny thing is, I didn’t build it for any particular space. In fact, not even sure where it’s going to go. LOML is already rolling her eyes when I mentioned next up was a full round version. :D

Stan Calow
01-07-2021, 5:47 PM
Very nice. Walnut? Bent lamination for the apron?

Phil Mueller
01-07-2021, 6:02 PM
Thanks Stan. The top and apron are rosewood with curly cherry trim. Legs are Brazilian cherry. The apron was made using the bricking method.

Mel Fulks
01-07-2021, 6:06 PM
It's a great piece. I think a full frontal shot would quiet any doubters. What we have now makes the apron bead blend in
too much with the cross banding ,making it look too heavy. But I'm sure it is NOT!

Jim Becker
01-07-2021, 7:58 PM
Wow. Beautiful work!

Steve Wurster
01-07-2021, 8:04 PM
That is beautiful! Amazing work.

Frederick Skelly
01-07-2021, 8:55 PM
Beautiful work! Another piece to be proud of!

Christian Hawkshaw
01-08-2021, 6:44 AM
Very nice.

Phil Mueller
01-08-2021, 9:14 AM
Mel, thanks for your comment. I fretted over the apron size for some time. I went with Latta’s FWW dimensions pretty closely, but his featured table was larger. So scaling it down was pure judgment. Might have been better slightly smaller. I’m just glad that when I bump it, it doesn’t fall over :rolleyes:

Jeff Monson
01-08-2021, 12:15 PM
Super nice Phil!! There are so many different skill sets for the federal style furniture that you did extremely well.

Christopher Charles
01-08-2021, 1:53 PM
Congrats Phil, turned out great and looks like a perfect place to set YOUR cup of tea ;)

Thanks for sharing the build progress on the hand tool forum and will look forward to the full round version.

Best,
Chris

Ken Fitzgerald
01-08-2021, 1:58 PM
Phil, that is an absolutely stunning piece of furniture, well worth the delay. Nicely done Sir!

Mark Rainey
01-08-2021, 3:14 PM
Phil, you have made a spectacular masterpiece. I have been waiting for the finished product - please ship UPS - I will cover the shipping costs.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-08-2021, 5:01 PM
Phil, you have made a spectacular masterpiece. I have been waiting for the finished product - please ship UPS - I will cover the shipping costs.

:eek::rolleyes:;):D:D:D:D:D

Bill Carey
01-08-2021, 5:55 PM
What an amazing piece Phil. The top is wonderful, and the rosewood is beautifully used. hip it to me and I'll drop it off at Mark's place. Honest. Really.......

Phil Mueller
01-09-2021, 7:23 AM
Thanks all, appreciate the kind comments. Mark and Bill, too funny...we may have to work out an exchange for those dressers you’ve been building.

Rob Luter
01-09-2021, 8:12 AM
That is really nice. I don't have the guts to try something like that. Maybe after I retire and can devote serious time to skills improvement.

Make sure you always use a coaster :D

Tom Bain
01-09-2021, 8:08 PM
Wow, phenomenal work. Is that ebony on the end of the legs? Curious how you attached that to the main legs.

Phil Mueller
01-09-2021, 11:27 PM
Hi Tom, and thank you. No, it’s actually black dyed veneer...not sure the species (your basic bag of black veneer found at Woodcraft).

Here’s a previous thread that shows the process...the veneer part is post #3 in that thread:
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?288377-Federal-style-table-legs&p=3084044#post3084044

Tom Bain
01-10-2021, 7:53 AM
Hi Tom, and thank you. No, it’s actually black dyed veneer...not sure the species (your basic bag of black veneer found at Woodcraft).

Here’s a previous thread that shows the process...the veneer part is post #3 in that thread:
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?288377-Federal-style-table-legs&p=3084044#post3084044

Ahhh, very cool technique for applying the veneer after the legs were tapered. I’m going to put that in the bag ‘o tricks.

David Utterback
01-10-2021, 10:21 AM
Elegant and proof of craftsmanship although not my cup of tea. A great accomplishment which should have a prominent display.

Scott Winners
01-10-2021, 2:04 PM
Phil, I bet (I hope) you are filling a significant sense of achievement now that it is done. I remember especially your thread about veneering the top a few months ago.

Your text and pictures were good enough I could try veneering just based on your thread, but also clear enough for me to know better than to try, I would not enjoy doing that at this stage of my life.

It is a beautiful thing. Nice work.

Phil Mueller
01-10-2021, 4:38 PM
Thanks Rob. It was a few years in the making with practice primarily on small boxes. First veneer, then stringing/banding, etc. I’ve got some real stinkers for sure. After some trial and error, a lot of videos, and a few new tools, it gets easier.

Phil Mueller
01-10-2021, 4:41 PM
Thank you David. I absolutely understand. This was a style that was only really popular for about 30 years, and while some today may consider it timeless, in the day, it didn’t last very long! That’s what I love about the SMC project area...so many great designs that folks are making.

Phil Mueller
01-10-2021, 4:50 PM
Thank you Scott. I’m already wondering what’s next. There is a fellow SMC’er, Mike Allen, that inspires me with every project he does. He apparently sees something he likes, and by golly he sets out to make it...even if (and perhaps for the very reason), that he’s never done it before. That’s the kind of thing that keeps me going...albeit might take months and multiple mistakes to complete!

Mel Fulks
01-10-2021, 5:09 PM
It's STILL popular...just not affordable! Even the tickets to look at the stuff ain't cheap ! You are too modest! The next
big style after Federal was Victorian ....who is is making "reproductions"?

Phil Mueller
01-10-2021, 5:54 PM
And Mel, that next movement was less stringing/banding and more carving. Oh dear wood gods above, can I possibly have the where with all to start carving...:eek:

Mike Allen1010
01-20-2021, 9:03 PM
Fantastic Phil! A timeless family heirloom for sure. Great job with both classic design and exquisite execution! You're going to simile every time you see it!:)

Cheers, Mike

Mike Henderson
01-20-2021, 9:30 PM
Wow, great project. I just found this thread. Congratulations!

Mike

michael langman
01-21-2021, 3:42 PM
Phil, You are too modest. That table is priceless. I would love to see all of the posts of the work, combined with the end pictures, and posted somewhere on the site: to inspire others to try to create. The table is remarkable.

Phil Mueller
01-21-2021, 7:51 PM
Thank you all for the nice comments.

Mike A; you inspire me with every one of your projects...and thanks again for the help on this build.

Mike H; you inspired me from the beginning with your online tutorials...first a box, then some veneer, then radial matching, then shaded fans...thanks for taking the time to share those.

Michael; very kind. I have a number of pieces of the build posted in the Neander forum...the stuff that I thought would be of particular interest. If you ever get an itch to go the Federal way, I’m happy to help anyway I can.