PDA

View Full Version : Delta Unisaw replacement motor

Bill Scherf
01-07-2021, 9:49 AM
448886I acquired a Delta Unisaw for a bargain....only to find out it has a three phase motor on it. I would like to switch it out with a single phase motor right around the 2-3 horsepower mark. I have seen Leeson motors but I am somewhat concerned about the brackets.
Are the brackets universal?
If I purchase a smaller motor, will the horsepower be enough?
Here is the tag off of the old motor, if that helps anybody.
Please advise
Thanks

Mike Kees
01-07-2021, 10:07 AM
No sure what you mean by "universal". Unisaw motors have a unique to them bracket, Leeson makes a motor for Unisaws as does Baldor. Grizzly has a motor as well that while not made specifically for Unisaws was made for a clone of a Uni and works fine. It very well may be cheaper to get a VFD to run your saw. Others here on the forum will be able to help with that. As for h.p. I have no idea of what you intend to do with the saw,personally I would stick with 3hp.

Bill Dufour
01-07-2021, 10:13 AM
That tag makes no sense to me. It says 1/2 horsepower but 12.6 amps at 208 volts. that sounds more like one horse power or more.
You could use a VFD to drive that motor for under $100. The unisaw mount is custom lugs welded onto a standard motor so hard to find. You can adapt a standard foot mount. motor by making some custom brackets out of big angle iron and some flat plate. I think you lose 3/8" or so of cuting height.
Bill D

Earl McLain
01-07-2021, 1:45 PM
Bill--that is a 5 hp motor. There is a dot-shaped stain or mark in front of the 5, so i could see where you'd think 1/2 hp.
earl

Bill Scherf
01-07-2021, 1:46 PM
by "universal" I mean are the brackets on the Leeson motors compatible with the original brackets on the Delta motor.

Bill Scherf
01-07-2021, 1:48 PM
Yes, it is a "stain" or "mark"

Paul Tubergen
01-07-2021, 2:03 PM
Where are you located? I have a 3hp single phase that I would be willing to part with... it would be heavy to ship

Cary Falk
01-07-2021, 2:49 PM
by "universal" I mean are the brackets on the Leeson motors compatible with the original brackets on the Delta motor.

If it is a Leeson Delta Unisaw motor the bracket will fit. I don't think there is another similar mount. A unisaw mount is far from what I would call "universal".
https://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/LEESON-UNISAW/

Bill Dufour
01-07-2021, 3:47 PM
I would get a 3HP VFD and run it with that. You will only develop 3 hp but that is more then enough. A 5hp VFD may cost more then a 3Hp single phase motor.
Bil lD

Bill Dufour
01-07-2021, 3:47 PM
Check the arbor bearings while you are in there.
Bil lD

Bill Scherf
01-07-2021, 8:52 PM
Southeast of Toledo
Graytown, Ohio

Bill Scherf
01-07-2021, 8:53 PM
Ok great, that’s what I wanted to hear. Thank you

Bruce Wrenn
01-07-2021, 9:04 PM
You could go with a standard frame motor, salvage the brackets off existing motor and weld them on new motor. Takes a little work, but it has been done. On my old computer, I had book marked making a custom bracket to adapt a standard motor to a Unisaw.

Eugene Dixon
01-08-2021, 9:00 AM
I made this change and went to a 4hp Leeson - because I could. The length of the Lesson is slightly longer than the 3 hp, 3 phase Delta motor which limits the arbor tilt at full blade extension as the motor hits the cabinet. If you don't need full depth at max tilt, it works fine.

OBTW, the 3 phase Delta motor was packed with sawdust with signs of scorching. If you plan on using a vfd, I suggest opening the motor and check the condition inside.

I've since sold the saw due to relocation and am about to start shopping for a replacement. Sliders are appealing.

Paul Tubergen
01-08-2021, 11:29 AM
Can you PM me. I will be driving thru the area in the near future and could bring it with me. I will give more details then in a PM or via email

Bill Scherf
01-08-2021, 1:39 PM
Ok...new to this site....how do I PM or email you

Paul Tubergen
01-08-2021, 1:55 PM
not sure - you may need to have more posts - can you provide an email? We are moving over the next months to west Michigan and will be going by in the next few weeks... I would like to send some pictures to ensure this is the correct motor and fits your needs.

Bill Scherf
01-08-2021, 1:59 PM
scherfw@yahoo.com

Paul Tubergen
01-08-2021, 2:06 PM
Email sent

Dave Cav
01-08-2021, 3:09 PM
I would get a 3HP VFD and run it with that. You will only develop 3 hp but that is more then enough. A 5hp VFD may cost more then a 3Hp single phase motor.
Bil lD

This. I ran a 3 phase 5 HP Delta 12/14 cabinet saw with 3HP VFD for many years with no problems. I only had one overcurrent trip, when ripping a thick microlam with a combo blade.

mark kosse
01-08-2021, 3:34 PM
If the other motor falls through on OWWM there is a bracket design you can build to adapt standard frame motors to a uni. I have one and it works just fine.

Bill Dufour
01-08-2021, 3:49 PM
The bracket I made uses no welding. It uses two pieces of big angle iron like 4 or 6 inch angle about 10 inches long and a flat metal plate big enough to fit the foot mount holes.
The picture is from the internet. I think it is the same as the link catalog item. It is very similar to mine. I had to hack out some clearance on parts of the web that stick way from the motor.
Bill D.

https://www.renovoparts.com/43-802-motor-adaptor-bracket-for-right-tilt-unisaws/

Cary Falk
01-08-2021, 7:00 PM
If you go with a standard frame motor and make a mount, make sure you get a motor with the right shaft size. I think the Uni has an oddball shaft of 3/4" vs 7/8" for a 3hp standard motor.

Bill Scherf
01-29-2021, 2:40 PM
Now I have a motor, the next thing is a switch. The previous motor was a 3 phase 5hp motor with a starter panel and a switch. I now have a single phase 3hp motor. Can I just buy a simple switch to run it, or is there a way to use my three phase switch and starter?

Ron Selzer
01-29-2021, 4:45 PM
Now I have a motor, the next thing is a switch. The previous motor was a 3 phase 5hp motor with a starter panel and a switch. I now have a single phase 3hp motor. Can I just buy a simple switch to run it, or is there a way to use my three phase switch and starter?
should be able to use what you have post pictures and will try to help
Ron

Marc Fenneuff
01-30-2021, 11:05 AM

It can be done but may require replacement of the heaters. Link (https://springercontrols.com/news/single-phase-motor-3-phase-contactor/)
AFAIK if your starter has a coil, it may not be able to be adapted.

I don't recommend using a standard dual-pole switch as you need the starter to protect both you and the motor