PDA

View Full Version : Sealing Smoke Odor

BOB OLINGER
01-06-2021, 5:50 PM
We may have an opportunity to renovate and flip a small house with smoke damage. I picked up a recommendation that said to seal the bare wall studs (after removing the wallboard - both drywall and some plaster/lath) with shellac. Can anyone comment on this; is it effective; any better solutions? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

Jerry Bruette
01-06-2021, 6:28 PM
Zinsser BIN primer is advertised as being able to seal smoke and other odors.

William A Johnston
01-06-2021, 6:50 PM
I'd rent a large Ozinator.

What about Kiltz after?

Bill

Aaron Rosenthal
01-06-2021, 6:56 PM
In all the apartments I repaired/repainted with heavy smoke damage, I either used Kilz or Zinsser. Either one.
Check with your paint store. Fresh start is much more expensive, and not worth the extra cost.

Doug Dawson
01-06-2021, 6:57 PM
I'd rent a large Ozinator.

What about Kiltz after?

Bill

Killz 2 works pretty good at smoke remediation. I don’t know about frame down restoration, though.

Frank Pratt
01-06-2021, 8:14 PM
My sister bought a house that had been repaired after a major fire. It started in the basement, burned through the main floor, attic, and out the roof. All the framing had been sealed with a silver paint and it really did the job. I couldn't smell even a hint of smoke. Then I did some wiring for him & as soon as a hole was drilled it released the strong smell of a camp fire. No idea what brand it was though.

It has to be thoroughly sealed. Without sealing, ozone will do nothing to get rid of the smell.

Ole Anderson
01-07-2021, 8:54 AM
All the framing had been sealed with a silver paint and it really did the job.

My uncle used to be a painter while he was studying medicine in the 1950's. He always used aluminum paint as a sealer on exterior wood. Seemed to be a standard back then.

roger wiegand
01-07-2021, 12:26 PM
The shellac-based Zinsser primer works wonders on cat pee, should be great for smoke. Check the label to be sure you're getting the one that use an alcohol solvent, the water based one doesn't particularly work to block either stains or odors.

Bill Dufour
01-08-2021, 12:12 AM
Shellac is great. It will stick to any finish and any finish will stick to it. At least the traditional alcohol based ones. And it is safe to eta. Many pills are shellac coated.
Bil lD