PDA

View Full Version : Bent lamination question

Alex Berkovsky
01-04-2006, 12:53 PM
I am about to start making an apron for a demilune table using bent lamination method. The plans call to cut 7 strips 3/32" thick (I'll cut 8 strips to make the apron 3/4"). The question is after I cut each strip, do I run it through a planer to make sure both sides are flat and parallel? Can something this thin be run through a planer?

tod evans
01-04-2006, 1:00 PM
alex, a sander is a better option for thin wood. you can plane it by using a backer board but expect to loose a few pieces......02 tod

Alex Berkovsky
01-04-2006, 1:19 PM
a sander is a better option for thin wood.Tod,
What kind of a sander are you refering to?

Clint Malone
01-04-2006, 1:23 PM
He is referring to a drum sander. It really depends on the quality of the cut though. My new bandsaw with a carbide blade on it doesn't seem to need much if any sanding or planing, the cuts are as smooth as any TS cut. My old ridgid could not come close to this though and would have needed several passes through the drum sander using 80-100 grit paper. If you do decided to run it through the planer (sounds like you don't have a drum sander), I would use double sided tape to stick it down to a piece of MDF. You should be able to do two or three at a time next to each other depending on the size of your planer and the width of the apron.

Michael Ballent
01-04-2006, 1:27 PM
Tod,
What kind of a sander are you refering to?

Typically one would use a drum sander to smooth out the surface of the wood in preparation of the glue up. I have run thin pieces through a planer and as the wood becomes thinner it becomes more brittle and pieces start to break off usually from the side that is exiting the planer... the noise of that piece snapping off and flying across the shop is most impressive :eek:

If you have access to a drum sander then I would go that route, otherwise plan on loosing some wood along the way or make sure that they are 7+ inches too long before you run it in the planer.

tod evans
01-04-2006, 1:31 PM
alex, i use a widebelt but you can get perfectally acceptable results from a drum sander. if you have neither then just use your planer and expect some waste. i only get glue quality rips of my bandsaw when using a carbide blade and a powerfeeder........02 tod

Cecil Arnold
01-04-2006, 1:33 PM
Alex, I know it isn't great craftsmanship, but when I made bent lams. for my demilunes I used the clean board faces for the inside and outside faces of the lam, and glued up the rough cut pieces on the inside. Only you will ever know the difference and my lams. are three or four years old with no adverse effects.

tod evans
01-04-2006, 2:00 PM
here is a photo of a stack of bandsawn laminations that i`ll be gluing up for the roof-bow in a 41 chevy, they will bend around a 6" radius. the piece will be 1 7/8 thick when finished. tod

Alex Berkovsky
01-04-2006, 2:14 PM
Alex, I know it isn't great craftsmanship, but when I made bent lams. for my demilunes I used the clean board faces for the inside and outside faces of the lam, and glued up the rough cut pieces on the inside.I was thinking of that, but was afraid that with the inside edges not being "flat", the glue-up won't be good.
Since I don't have a sander, I may lay the strips on MDF as suggested and run them through the planer.

Tom Jones III
01-04-2006, 2:20 PM
I made a demi lune with bent laminations before I had a power planer. I used a hand plane and/or scraper to get the worst off and then glued it up while it was still pretty rough. Everything worked out fine.

Steve Clardy
01-04-2006, 2:28 PM
How wide will your strips be Alex?

Alex Berkovsky
01-04-2006, 2:49 PM
How wide will your strips be Alex?The strips will be 3.5" wide.

Richard Wolf
01-04-2006, 4:18 PM
Alex, I don't know where you live on Long Island, but if it is worth the trip to Port Jefferson Station, I will run them thur my drum sander.

Richard

tod evans
01-04-2006, 4:37 PM
alex, if you can take richard up on his offer, he`s a knowledgeble guy. well worth your time.......02 tod

Doug Shepard
01-04-2006, 6:18 PM
If Richard's offer doesn't work for you, the width may allow you to sand them using a drill press sanding drum between a single point fence. It will be slow and tedious but it works. If 3.5" is your finished width though, plan on 4" wide strips though. You'll have to joint off the outer edges to get past all the glue squeeze out. The other machine option for thicknessing is with a router mounted to a sled. I've never had much luck with a planer for anything thinner than 1/4" without a lot of splintering.

Alex Berkovsky
01-05-2006, 7:20 AM
Alex, I don't know where you live on Long Island, but if it is worth the trip to Port Jefferson Station, I will run them thur my drum sander.

RichardRichard,
I am in Syosset about 45 minute drive from Port Jeff. I may just take you up on your offer and take the opportunity to meet you.

Richard Wolf
01-05-2006, 7:59 AM
Alex, that would be fine. Weekends are the best time to be sure I'm in the shop. We are usually on the road during the week. PM me for my phone mumber and directions.

Richard